Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   to tint or not to tint (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/512721-tint-not-tint.html)

bkinzer 06-10-2014 07:46 PM

to tint or not to tint

I think that I have decided to purchase a F4+4 with vent, kind of leaning towards the tinted, I have very had a tinted shield so donít know what to expect, mostly ride during the day seldom at night and with the +4 Iíll be looking thru the shield. I would think that the tint might cut down on the sunís glare has it does in my car. But how about reflects and the ability to see low light condition, rain, night etc. Is the primary function of the tint for cosmetic appearances of the bike? Thanks

siouxindian 06-10-2014 08:14 PM

i don't like tinted.there are some riders say it really helps them at night with the glare of on coming headlights. it dose not let me see clearly at night . it is one of those things you will have to see for your self my eyes say no tint at night.

AZgl1800 06-10-2014 08:23 PM

876 Attachment(s)
It varies depending on your own eyes.

I am pastel color blind and I find that shaded glasses, especially those that are the "hunter's yellow/Pilot's " type let me see better at night. Tones those car headlights way down to just a speck of light, not a huge overbearing glare.

jobe05 06-10-2014 08:30 PM

112 Attachment(s)
It does depend on what your use to and what you like. I don't like the tint, I don't even like to wear sun glasses. I do have a tinted visor on my helmet that I like, specially when driving into the sun, but I like having the option if I want to use it or not, and 80% of the time, I don't.

Happytrails 06-10-2014 10:57 PM

Was going to get tinted but didnt want it to make nite driving hard. You'll love your F4. The regular F4 still has a light gray tint to it. Looks pretty cool. Well it looks that way to me anyways.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

tfdeputydawg 06-11-2014 06:18 AM

F4+4 tinted/vented since 1st available. Absolutely love it! The tinting is great, especially at night, cutting the glare of on coming headlights.
No problems in rain, etc.

Scot Thompson 06-11-2014 09:38 AM

My two cents: I rode a Yamaha Roadstar with a tinted windshield for several years. I liked it, but I could see over it with ease when big rain hit. Find that sweet spot of an inch or two where you can see. Worked great, looked great.

On my recent trip to Kansas, I hit big, murderous rain, lightning and wind near Shiloh, TN. No place to stop. Sideways wind gusts over 60 mph. Took all me skill to stay upright, but I didn't dare stop as I would have been blown over and probably rear ended. Full face shield, clear windshield that is difficult to see over. I am very thankful it was not tinted as at 3:30 in the afternoon, it was nearly dark and with the rain and wind and flooded highway, cars coming at me in my lane that the police had diverted from the other side of the divided highway with no flashing lights, no cop car, just a stream of cars headed at me in my lane! Good grief! It can be really hard to see on a bike in driving rain and with all the distractions, I am glad my windshield was clear.

I rode in these conditions following a truck for about 15 minutes. All the while, looking for a place to pull off safely. The truck found the gas station before I did and I just followed him in.

Just something to think about.

beenshot 06-11-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siouxindian (Post 3313873)
i don't like tinted.there are some riders say it really helps them at night with the glare of on coming headlights. it dose not let me see clearly at night . it is one of those things you will have to see for your self my eyes say no tint at night.

This was my experience as well. I tried a tinted tulsa tall and just couldn't see at night. I ended up cutting it down to where I could see over it.

Wildrat 06-11-2014 10:54 AM

I suppose it depends on how dark the tint is also. I had a shield tinted light blue and there was no problem seeing thru it. would I buy another, probably not because I have 3 dogs to feed.

PurplePirate 06-11-2014 11:39 AM

I have a tinted Tulsa Tall that is a very light grey. During the day it is great but at night you see better with your brights on. Dusk is when it gives me the most trouble just right as the sun finally goes down. I will probabily replace it sooner or later with a clear. I like the shield inside the helmet and will never buy a helmet that doesn't have one.