to tint or not to tint - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2012 GL1800
to tint or not to tint

I think that I have decided to purchase a F4+4 with vent, kind of leaning towards the tinted, I have very had a tinted shield so donít know what to expect, mostly ride during the day seldom at night and with the +4 Iíll be looking thru the shield. I would think that the tint might cut down on the sunís glare has it does in my car. But how about reflects and the ability to see low light condition, rain, night etc. Is the primary function of the tint for cosmetic appearances of the bike? Thanks

1995 GL1500
2003 Kaw Voyager
1996 Kaw Voyager
1993 Kaw Vulcan
1978 HD Sportster
1975 Yamaha Virago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
i don't like tinted.there are some riders say it really helps them at night with the glare of on coming headlights. it dose not let me see clearly at night . it is one of those things you will have to see for your self my eyes say no tint at night.

life is good.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
It varies depending on your own eyes.

I am pastel color blind and I find that shaded glasses, especially those that are the "hunter's yellow/Pilot's " type let me see better at night. Tones those car headlights way down to just a speck of light, not a huge overbearing glare.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
It does depend on what your use to and what you like. I don't like the tint, I don't even like to wear sun glasses. I do have a tinted visor on my helmet that I like, specially when driving into the sun, but I like having the option if I want to use it or not, and 80% of the time, I don't.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Was going to get tinted but didnt want it to make nite driving hard. You'll love your F4. The regular F4 still has a light gray tint to it. Looks pretty cool. Well it looks that way to me anyways.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"riding is good therapy"

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Trike Master

Model: 06 levelIII/Hannigan
F4+4 tinted/vented since 1st available. Absolutely love it! The tinting is great, especially at night, cutting the glare of on coming headlights.
No problems in rain, etc.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Model: 2007 GL1800 ABS
Garage
My two cents: I rode a Yamaha Roadstar with a tinted windshield for several years. I liked it, but I could see over it with ease when big rain hit. Find that sweet spot of an inch or two where you can see. Worked great, looked great.

On my recent trip to Kansas, I hit big, murderous rain, lightning and wind near Shiloh, TN. No place to stop. Sideways wind gusts over 60 mph. Took all me skill to stay upright, but I didn't dare stop as I would have been blown over and probably rear ended. Full face shield, clear windshield that is difficult to see over. I am very thankful it was not tinted as at 3:30 in the afternoon, it was nearly dark and with the rain and wind and flooded highway, cars coming at me in my lane that the police had diverted from the other side of the divided highway with no flashing lights, no cop car, just a stream of cars headed at me in my lane! Good grief! It can be really hard to see on a bike in driving rain and with all the distractions, I am glad my windshield was clear.

I rode in these conditions following a truck for about 15 minutes. All the while, looking for a place to pull off safely. The truck found the gas station before I did and I just followed him in.

Just something to think about.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:49 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800 CSC trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxindian View Post
i don't like tinted.there are some riders say it really helps them at night with the glare of on coming headlights. it dose not let me see clearly at night . it is one of those things you will have to see for your self my eyes say no tint at night.
This was my experience as well. I tried a tinted tulsa tall and just couldn't see at night. I ended up cutting it down to where I could see over it.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800
I suppose it depends on how dark the tint is also. I had a shield tinted light blue and there was no problem seeing thru it. would I buy another, probably not because I have 3 dogs to feed.

Wildrat/Mark
2010 Metallic Black GL1800 Audio Comfort Nav XM ABS model
Darkside #1629 (NRF 195/55R-16 Yokohama AVID ENVigor)

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: 1996 GL1500SE
Garage
I have a tinted Tulsa Tall that is a very light grey. During the day it is great but at night you see better with your brights on. Dusk is when it gives me the most trouble just right as the sun finally goes down. I will probabily replace it sooner or later with a clear. I like the shield inside the helmet and will never buy a helmet that doesn't have one.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

Always look for the door "C" it may be hidden but there is always one there...
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page