Mobile app / Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999
Make: test
Model: test
Garage
Mobile app / Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread

We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

================================================== ================================================== =======================

*UPDATE*

Hello everyone,

We’re excited to announce that additional features has been added and improvements were made to the enhanced mobile view.
Thanks to the feedback that everyone has provided, we were able to tailor the mobile view to better fit forum members’ needs and fix a few bugs along the way.

A few of the new features that were added includes:
• Completely replacing the PM system with one that better matches what members see in the desktop version.
• A pull-to-refresh functionality has been added on all appropriate pages in addition to the refresh already available in the overflow menu.
• A new scrolling feature has been added so that if the user starts scrolling the screen prior to an auto-scroll happening (like moving to a post per the current read position), the auto-scroll is cancelled so the user is not fighting with it.
• There is now a font size preview in the Font Size settings page so the members would know what to expect.
• Sticky topics can now be hidden from within the page where they are being viewed
• The vote count on poll results has been animated to count up along with the bar graph animations that were already present.

Now on to some of the fixes we that have implemented:
• After sharing a photo from the media viewer, the user will not be returned to the media viewer instead of the topic.
• PMs will now be correctly marked as viewed and word-wrapped.
• The forum will now work with iOS Safari if the user had opted to block all cookies.
• Double-tapping buttons or links will no longer cause functionality to execute twice.
• The text in the header is now re-sizing correctly when members are scrolling through the page or opening the side menu.

Please give this newly improved version of the mobile view a try and feel free to let us know what you think in the feedback thread.

**Please let us know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thank you.

Last edited by wingmin; 11-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
First crack out of the box, Why on earth would it have a need to know my location? That should be totally irrelevant.

I see I can deny or allow that, but why even ask in the first place?

2nd, the new format for my Galaxy S5 is great! Finally I can actually see the text, the avatars are showing up now, where they did not before.

I had given up totally on the motorcycle.com app, it is totally useless to me, and a super PITA to try and moderate with. I uninstalled it a long time ago...

And now, I have found a super PITA problem. It also existed in the motorcycle.com app

When I am reading the "Latest" or "New" posts/threads and I have reached the last post in a thread. I then back out of that thread and the app goes ALL THE WAY BACK to the top of the list! That is intolerable, and a reason to not use the app at all.

Right now, there are 38 new posts for me to read, as I had just run thru most of them on my desktop computer. Sometimes, there will be more than a 100, or even 150 new posts to wade thru. For me to have to scroll down thru that list every time I back out of a thread is very aggravating and poor programming.

Would greatly appreciate having that fixed...

Now, 3rd problem.

I am in the Technical Forum.

I see there are two Sticky Threads shown, that is fine with me, as I don't need to see them most of the time anyway.

4th problem:
I scrolled down thru the full list and went to Page 2. The Sticky Threads showed up again. Why? I already scanned them, I have no use for them now, a cellphone has limited viewing area, that needs to be removed on all pages except the first page.

and to aggravate me some more, I backed out of that 2nd page and it went back to the Main Tech Forum page and the 1st Sticky thread....

5th:
Okay, now a Moderator Problem.
.... I clicked the check-mark box, then the 3 dots for the menu. I see
.....Quote
.....Edit Post
.....Share Post
.....Help

How come, it does not recognize me as a Moderator so that I can delete the post, or delete the thread, or move the thread?

sigh, a lot of work to do yet Wingmin.....

but, I really love the work that has been done, it is immensely better than what was available before.

BTW, I am using CMbrowser . IMO, the best Android browser there is. Fast, small footprint, and very secure, and no bloatware.

and as mentioned above, a Samsung Galaxy S5

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 10-27-2014 at 12:29 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:10 AM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
Thumbs down mobile app

has anyone tried the new mobile app I got on it yesterday and it is totally different don't like the layout hard to use.

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
This is the first time trying it. I'm Not enjoying having two different layouts. One for my iPhone and a totally different setup for my desktop. I'm not impressed
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
You can't please everyone.

Designing a mobile app is a horse of a different color and presents problems that the design of a regular web page doesn't.
Give it (and yourselves) time and it may become more to your liking. And, with some helpful feedback from users, there may be improvements to be made.

Dan & Jo Ann

The journey IS the destination .
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM

Year: 1985
Model: 85 Aspencade
Considering this Canadian Company doesn't have an app for the Canadian made Blackberry Z10 or Passport...... I don't need to concern myself
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
No.. you can't please everyone but considering both were the same the question begs what the heck (new term for what the f) or why change only the one? The mobile is difficult to use especially with the slide to change pages. It's impossible for me to dial back one or two pages. If this is the face of things to come…. lets pray!!

Ray
88 GL1500
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
the old version was just like the desktop simple and clean cut this on the phone is so lost

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 PM
New Guy

I like that we can use the new mobile app view or the old website view. I happen to like the old-style so I exit out of the mobile and use the old website view.

agreed, you can't please everybody but I think they've done a nice job in making both views available.

Education is never as expensive as ignorance.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I am going to merge this into the original thread that Wingmin announced this, and I am going to Sticky it to the top of the page so it don't get lost.

For the most part, the new cellphone version for me, is a terrific improvement.... I made my negative comments up in post #2.

If you have not read from Post #1, please go back and do so.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page