Winter riding tips, techniques and what works for me - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1983 Aspencade
Winter riding tips, techniques and what works for me

Given as it was snowing this morning, I thought a thread on winter riding might be appropriate.

I've been riding in winter since 1982, just so you know. My personal temp record is -15 F to and from work.

Personal gear I use has varied somewhat, but am now down to a Widder electric vest and chaps I bought in 1985, Aerostar boots, a pair of snow pants, a US Navy pullover that is scary warm, my usual riding jacket and my rain jacket top, to cut the wind. Plus various sweatshirts and long undies, depends on the temp and length of ride.

Were I to tog up today, I'd go with an electric jacket (or vest with sleeves), the rest works out well enough not to want to change.

The bike gets: Hippo Hands, heated grips and seat, winter covers for the radiator outlets, extra air wings to direct air away from my legs, and I am going to try a second battery in a spare left saddlebag, just to give a bit more when the temps are below 0. Thinking of a U-1 lawn tractor battery, though I have another GW battery on the shelf, too.

If finances permit, a sidecar will be Really helpful on those snowy days. I've had in the past, and t'was like a street legal snowmobile.

Those are what I do/use, what are your techniques and ideas??

Cosmo

P.S. I've already been called crazy, a couple (dozen? hundred?) times.

Posted with a Gennie Navaho blanket and traditional flames
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
I leave and go to California. ;-) Actually, I live in Northern Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati. The winters here allow for some riding days so I wasn't planning on winterizing my bike. I know this isn't a riding question but I don't have a heated garage. I was wondering if I keep a full cover on it and a ceramic heater under it, would that be enough so I call pull it out and ride 3 or 4 times during the winter months?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Model: 2010 GL 1800
When I lived in Michigan. I wore Carhart;s arctic wear . and a pair of mitten's from Cabela;s never had a need to dress beyond that. I bought them to fit over my every day riding gear so if I was to stay indoors I could step out of it until it was time to saddle up again. Never quite got the concept of putting a bike up for the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM

Model: 2009 GL1800 Airbag
I can't contribute to the OP because I put my bikes up for the winter in Vermont because like most folks, I live on a dirt road which in winter becomes hard-packed snow and ice for many months. Once spring hits, they become rut-filled mud pits. Bad enough trying to drive a car on them! Have a safe winter and I hope you don't get another Polar vortex.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojalajab View Post
I can't contribute to the OP because I put my bikes up for the winter in Vermont because like most folks, I live on a dirt road which in winter becomes hard-packed snow and ice for many months. Once spring hits, they become rut-filled mud pits. Bad enough trying to drive a car on them! Have a safe winter and I hope you don't get another Polar vortex.

Speaking of polar vortices, I hear that nothing has moved up there since last winter so we're in for more of the same.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:58 PM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
mine are put bike in shop turn heat on to 55* plug in battery . then putter and polish it all winter long! about 5-6 months

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk

Year: 1983
Model: GL1100
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Wilcoy02
winter riding is fun

Here is pic of last year. Heated jacket and gerbing gloves.
As long as there is no ice or water on the road I will go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (162.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (168.8 KB, 86 views)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 PM

Model: 2009 GL1800 Airbag
For you hard core winter riders, here is a book I highly recommend. I hosted Dave for a number of talks where I work. He is a great guy and without question one of the toughest guys I have ever met. His accomplishments are amazing particularly when you consider the bike he rode and the fact that he has prosthetics on both legs as a result of a war injury. He is in the AMA Hall of Fame.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
I used to ride my Yamaha 125 Enduro at Kotzebue, AK in the winter. Once the temps get down close to -20F the snow and ice really isn't all that slippery. We even used to pull a dog sled behind it when going to the village for groceries. That was the only motorcycle I've ever had that the woman who hangs around here would ride on her own. She didn't mind flying my C170 or Pacer but she's never been enamored of riding a bike.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:05 PM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
The Blackbird is pretty happy living in the garage during the winter.

But...to those who ride in cold climates year 'round...my helmet's off to ya.

Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The journey IS the destination .
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page