Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   New Forum Software coming May 5, 2015 (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/560282-new-forum-software-coming-may-5-2015-a.html)

AZgl1800 04-27-2015 10:48 PM

New Forum Software coming May 5, 2015

876 Attachment(s)
I think the upgrade needs to be advertised to everyone, because moto.com is asking for input..... and you should all have a chance to answer him.

this is a copy of the post to the Mods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Site Upgrade and Look 5/6/2015 Hey Guys,

My name is Jeff, I am part of the development team.

Just wanted to give you a heads up; we are going to update the software here on 5/6/2015. Site will be down from around 9:30am to 11:30am EST, maybe earlier. The update should only take 2 hours to complete and when it does you will be the first to know. In case there are any issues here are some things you can expect. this will not happen tomorrow, I will let you know when the downtime will actually be happening.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) Mobile Friendly.

The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views.
We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) Welcome! We detailed and got a new paint job!

The homepage is bright, crisp and clean. We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join GoldWingFacts.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in. We can also use this newly minted front page to showcase a Ride of the Month winner or other community related news and announcements.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which will be placed ON by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called Legacy
4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Gold Wings, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others.

5)Social Media Connect

Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+ meaning faster legitimate registrations.

6)We Want your Input!

We want to know what you like in an update (look and feel). What you think the community would get excited about and appreciate.
Do you want an updated, logo? A new skin theme color change? Maybe a preference in motorcycle images included in the banner showing off multiple generations? Don't be Shy! We need this info ASAP!

Let me know if you have any concerns. I will be here to help with the transition and any issues there may be.

Thanks,
Jeff
Community Manager

AZgl1800 04-28-2015 12:16 AM

876 Attachment(s)
bouncing this to the top frequently, we need as much input as possible quickly....

JoeB27 04-28-2015 10:10 AM

WHAT??? Offline for 2 hours!!! What am I supposed to do from 9:30 to 11:30???

Hanko 04-28-2015 07:26 PM

If this upgrade goes the way most upgrades do then the site will be offline for well over the 2 hour mark.!!

Ghost Rider 2 04-28-2015 07:50 PM

For some reason every time I hear upgrade. It just makes things worst.

TwoBigCats 04-28-2015 09:15 PM

if they wanted quality input, why wait until the last minute?

hairball 04-29-2015 01:05 PM

Upgrade? My bike is only 30. No need to upgrade yet. As for the site it has been running fine IMHO. But I am pretty much old school. If it is working why mess with it.

AZgl1800 04-29-2015 02:27 PM

876 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hairball (Post 3941970)
Upgrade? My bike is only 30. No need to upgrade yet. As for the site it has been running fine IMHO. But I am pretty much old school. If it is working why mess with it.

The major reason for the change of software is to make the maintenance of the forum much easier.

Right now, we don't have enough Mod tools to do a lot of the chores that we have been asking for, to be handled automatically. Like detecting spammers and automatically banning them. Right now, every spam message has to be banned one at a time manually.

Just keep in mind, this "upgrade" is not going to enforced on you.
If you don't like it, just go to Options and select LEGACY and every thing will stay the same for you.

Okay?

I think the development team has done a very good job of trying to maintain "what is now" and allow for the mods and the IT folks to maintain the database much more efficiently.

dadztoy 04-29-2015 09:30 PM

Well, being an ex IT guy, I wish you the best of luck with the upgrade, and I will check out the changes and offer some feedback both pro and con - hopefully just pro, but hey - sometimes things are not what they seem to be in a development environment...

Hopefully, it will be better for all of us and go "smooth and by the numbers"......

es

dedgar 04-29-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeB27 (Post 3939714)
WHAT??? Offline for 2 hours!!! What am I supposed to do from 9:30 to 11:30???

Go for a ride??? :?