LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
New Forum Software coming May 5, 2015

I think the upgrade needs to be advertised to everyone, because moto.com is asking for input..... and you should all have a chance to answer him.

this is a copy of the post to the Mods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Site Upgrade and Look 5/6/2015 Hey Guys,

My name is Jeff, I am part of the development team.

Just wanted to give you a heads up; we are going to update the software here on 5/6/2015. Site will be down from around 9:30am to 11:30am EST, maybe earlier. The update should only take 2 hours to complete and when it does you will be the first to know. In case there are any issues here are some things you can expect. this will not happen tomorrow, I will let you know when the downtime will actually be happening.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) Mobile Friendly.

The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views.
We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) Welcome! We detailed and got a new paint job!

The homepage is bright, crisp and clean. We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join GoldWingFacts.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in. We can also use this newly minted front page to showcase a Ride of the Month winner or other community related news and announcements.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which will be placed ON by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called Legacy
4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Gold Wings, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others.

5)Social Media Connect

Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+ meaning faster legitimate registrations.

6)We Want your Input!

We want to know what you like in an update (look and feel). What you think the community would get excited about and appreciate.
Do you want an updated, logo? A new skin theme color change? Maybe a preference in motorcycle images included in the banner showing off multiple generations? Don't be Shy! We need this info ASAP!

Let me know if you have any concerns. I will be here to help with the transition and any issues there may be.

Thanks,
Jeff
Community Manager

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 04-28-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
bouncing this to the top frequently, we need as much input as possible quickly....

~ John

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM

Year: 2003
Model: Goldwing
WHAT??? Offline for 2 hours!!! What am I supposed to do from 9:30 to 11:30???
VS Jeff likes this.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
--Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
If this upgrade goes the way most upgrades do then the site will be offline for well over the 2 hour mark.!!

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:50 PM

For some reason every time I hear upgrade. It just makes things worst.

1980 GL1100 Standard/ with Vetter upgrades
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 wife (Better Half)
2002 Honda 1800 trike wife (better half)
2003 Honda 1800 everyday bike 95,000+
2014 GL1800 called midnight riding just a little it waiting for me to retire. (soon)
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 PM
New Guy

if they wanted quality input, why wait until the last minute?

Education is never as expensive as ignorance.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Steve

Year: 1985
Model: GL 1200 I
Upgrade? My bike is only 30. No need to upgrade yet. As for the site it has been running fine IMHO. But I am pretty much old school. If it is working why mess with it.

I am happy to be alive when I ride my motorcycle.I am happy to be alive when I stop riding my motorcycle.

1985 GL 1200 I 82250 miles
2001 Suzuki GS 500
1980 Yamaha DT100
POS 250 4 wheeler
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball View Post
Upgrade? My bike is only 30. No need to upgrade yet. As for the site it has been running fine IMHO. But I am pretty much old school. If it is working why mess with it.
The major reason for the change of software is to make the maintenance of the forum much easier.

Right now, we don't have enough Mod tools to do a lot of the chores that we have been asking for, to be handled automatically. Like detecting spammers and automatically banning them. Right now, every spam message has to be banned one at a time manually.

Just keep in mind, this "upgrade" is not going to enforced on you.
If you don't like it, just go to Options and select LEGACY and every thing will stay the same for you.

Okay?

I think the development team has done a very good job of trying to maintain "what is now" and allow for the mods and the IT folks to maintain the database much more efficiently.
VS Jeff likes this.

~ John

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:30 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Well, being an ex IT guy, I wish you the best of luck with the upgrade, and I will check out the changes and offer some feedback both pro and con - hopefully just pro, but hey - sometimes things are not what they seem to be in a development environment...

Hopefully, it will be better for all of us and go "smooth and by the numbers"......

es
VS Jeff likes this.

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 PM

Year: 2005
Model: GL1800 30th year anniversary model
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB27 View Post
WHAT??? Offline for 2 hours!!! What am I supposed to do from 9:30 to 11:30???
Go for a ride???

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes. - James Tiberius Kirk

Good health is merely the slowest rate at which you will still die. - Anon.

Don't worry about old age. It doesn't last very long. - Anon.

Common sense doesn't seem to be all that common anymore. - Me (an adaptation of Voltaire's quote)

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow. - The Procrastinators Code

PHD - taking your BS to a higher level
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page