As of Today: No Texting while driving in Oklahoma - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 AM

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: 1990 gl1500SE
Heard a news story a couple days ago about the highway fatality rate in Georgia being on track for a double digit increase over last year. The clincher? The increase is because of single vehicle accidents they suspect of being caused by "distracted drivers."

Tired of people pulling out in front of you? Get a white helmet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52wingnut View Post
Here in Stillwater the law should be enforced for texting while walking. Can't say how many college students have stepped out in front of me while in the cage or on the bike. At least while on the bike I usually can get them to pee themselves with the air horns. Otherwise it's just the deer in the headlights look.
52wingnut: Being that you are in Cowboy country, I see a joke looming here but I will behave myself.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awingandaprayer View Post
Heard a news story a couple days ago about the highway fatality rate in Georgia being on track for a double digit increase over last year. The clincher? The increase is because of single vehicle accidents they suspect of being caused by "distracted drivers."

Which is most likely totally true.
Right here at home, a young man of about 23, married, two children under 5 y/o was riding his Harley home from work.

He just simply drove off the road across the smooth mowed berm and into a tree big as a bill board.

No clues to tell the CSI folks what happened.... he either just simply dosed off (been there) or he was distracted to the point he didn't pay attention. But the description says to me he went to sleep.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Model: 2010 gl1800 Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
52wingnut: Being that you are in Cowboy country, I see a joke looming here but I will behave myself.
Awww now why you want to raise that spectre! Everybody knows that Cowboys are the good guys!!!

Gary

2010 Metallic Black with Crucible Orange trim
Wild Rhino Oklahoma Chapter

A day, a month, or a year it's all subjective when your riding!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:53 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD View Post
South Carolina just made it a law recently,but it didn't make any difference. I see just as many texters now that i did before.
Same here in Washington. Since California invaded, nobody cares much about the law or anyone else, only themselves. And everyone is special.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Myers View Post
BIG DEAL! COPS ARE SO BUSY WITH CRIME HERE, THEY HAVE NO TIME FOR PIDDLY LITTLE THI,GS LIKE CELL PHONE OR TEXTING TICKETS...they are too busy giving license plate light and seat belt tickets. A guy I know got 4th DWI IN THIS STATE! HE HAS...16 IN THE USA!!! ALLEGEDLY, 4th DWI HERE IS MANDATORY 18 MONTHS IN JAIL/PRISON, NO EXCEPTIONS! HIS SHYSTER COURT APPOINTED FREE LAWYER GOT HIM 45DAYS IN JAIL. GET TOUGH ON CRIME, YEARIGHT. HE IS A THUG, drunk all the time, beats someone up about every 10-14 days, when/cops come, victim is too scared to say anything as they KNOW WHAT HE IS CAPABLE OF AND "the system" won't do anything to him as "the system" is WICKEDLY OVERLOADED WITH...penny ante drug people
"ONLY 3 WAYS TO SPEND THE TAXPAYERS MONEY WHEN IT COMES TO PRISONS:MORE LOCKS, MORE BARS, MORE GUARDS!" (Warden Shawshank Redemption). I have my windows welded shut and padlocked, 6' chain link fence, 6 strands of barbed wire, 5 security lights in back yard, 6 in front area, alarm, 3 locks on doors, iron security gates on main entrance doors made by real welder. Too much? Not here, lost one motorbike already, jewelry...
Man you should really think seriously about moving to a better neighborhood.We don't even lock our doors most of the time.

BTW I'd sooner take my chances with the drunks on the road.There's not as many of them and whether or not they can see it well at least they're looking at the road and not down in their lap.As Len mentioned now that it's against the law everybody keeps their phone down and tries to hide the fact that they are doing it when in fact you'd have to be an idiot not be able to tell what they're doing just by the way they are driving.Slowing down and speeding up while taking up all of their own lane side to side is pretty much a dead give away.We've had the distracted driving law here in Ontario for a few years.Qriginally it was supposed to be a minimum $500 fine.Ended up being $140 and pretty much totally ignored.You think that a guy driving a $100 k BMW gives a **** about a $140 fine?They should take demerit points as well as a fine and see how fast even the richer of us pays more attention to the law.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Model: GL1000
Maybe texting while driving should be illegal for everyone, everywhere.

But, who is going to enforce it?

1978 Honda GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I remember when that photo was taken, I still lived in Mesa, AZ and the issue of texting while driving was getting a lot of press because a M/C police officer was killed on the freeway in Tempe recently...

Don't recall if the offender was DUI or texting.... I also remember a very well liked AZ DPS m/c officer being killed by a DUI driver on the freeway near Country Club on US 60. That event was just a few weeks before the incident in Tempe...

~ John

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 PM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
And the larger issue is, to me, what is the average IQ in the legislature of a state where JUST NOW they are addressing this situation (not to mention their half-assed solution?

Good Grief !!

Texting while driving - I vote for caining or 30 days in jail (texter's choice).

Dan & Jo Ann

The journey IS the destination .
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page