Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I'm working on the power situation idea.
I'm thinking that a "hard wired power lead" up to the GPS would be a bit neater than my current impromptu "let it all dangle out there" method.

I just don't know where mine is going to end up at the moment, so I'm not worrying about power wiring.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM

Garage
A big public Shout Out to Larry.

We just got off the phone and I viewed his screen with TeamViewer and he showed me some tricks on how to use MapSource. And also a bunch of reasons that BaseCamp is not the panacea that Garmin thinks we should enjoy.

Larry showed me that BaseCamp's one saving grace is being able to easily use the maps from MapSource and then Send To a GPS device.

I won't be using BaseCamp ever again except for the export feature to our newer GPS units.

Thanks Larry,

I really enjoyed our visit.

~ John

post #93 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
A big public Shout Out to Larry.

We just got off the phone and I viewed his screen with TeamViewer and he showed me some tricks on how to use MapSource. And also a bunch of reasons that BaseCamp is not the panacea that Garmin thinks we should enjoy.

Larry showed me that BaseCamp's one saving grace is being able to easily use the maps from MapSource and then Send To a GPS device.

I won't be using BaseCamp ever again except for the export feature to our newer GPS units.

Thanks Larry,

I really enjoyed our visit.
You are very welcome John and I also enjoyed talking to you. I am happy to help.

Now a word to gulfrider, keep in mind that the GPS does NOT run on 12 volts. If you connect it to 12 volts you will burn it up. The cigarette lighter type plug has a converter inside that changes it to the 5 volts it uses. Direct wiring to the bike must have a way to make sure that you only get 5 volts to the GPS.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Garage
Hey Larry, sent you a text....

Routes are not showing up on the GPS's, only the destinations.

I copied the saved file to disk, then dragged it from the folder to BaseCamp, and then exported that to both the 1450 and the 2797. Same results with both of them.

~ John

post #95 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:50 PM

Garage
Talking How to Delete ALL Trips at once Garmin 2797

When I 1st got my 2797, it was about 15 minutes before we had to make a run to several doctor's offices.

So, I just did a bulk, copy from 1450, paste to 2797.

All is good, all of my waypoints are there.

Now, on to planning bike ride trips. Went to try and save a new ride and it would not let me or Larry save a new route to the 2797.

After much frustration, and no Alerts from BaseCamp or MapSource (natcherly Garmin) we decided it has to be done manually.

Oh goody, both of my GPS's have 148 routes already!!
I sat for a while slurping down my oatmeal gruel for tonight's supper.... damn my jaw hurts, sore as hell.

Anyway, after having deleted about 30+ trips one at a time, and it takes about 2 minutes per route..... I was wanting to delete them all at once.

I accidentally double clicked on the menu bar while routes were showing, and up pops a new menu... not in the manual, natcherly....
Anyway, the new menu says SELECT ALL, so I did, then a 3rd menu showed up DELETE ALL? Yes, No

Wallah! all done in one fell swoop and it took a whole 5 seconds to just dump the whole smear....

Happy Camper now...

Back to learning more about MapSource. No where as good as Larry, he has 20+ years experience, but he has showed me a lot of good tips, and I can at least create a trip, save it, and push it to the GPS.

And again, he showed me how to keep BaseCamp clean of everything, and to only use it as a single Route Pasting Tool...

works for me..... now I can take my rubber erasure and try to erase my Rants up above

~ John

post #96 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:44 PM

Year: 2014
Model: Gl1800 Level 1 Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
You are very welcome John and I also enjoyed talking to you. I am happy to help.

Now a word to gulfrider, keep in mind that the GPS does NOT run on 12 volts. If you connect it to 12 volts you will burn it up. The cigarette lighter type plug has a converter inside that changes it to the 5 volts it uses. Direct wiring to the bike must have a way to make sure that you only get 5 volts to the GPS.

Thanks Larry that's good to know. I went ahead and put in the cigarette lighter type plug I got that's made by Honda. Drill one hole then it plugs into a fitting already there under the left pocket. For now I will just plug into that with the one supplied with the gps that has the converter like you mentioned. I went back and checked the hardwire kit I was thinking about and it does reduce to 5volts as well as having fuse and on/off switch. Will see how this works for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2663.jpg (79.6 KB, 7 views)
post #97 of 111 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:24 PM

Garage
Update on the 2797

Today I was just doing some local parts shopping to fix up my lawn tractor. It seems to have lost some grease zerks...

anyway, traveling into Claremore I got a couple of phone calls and the 2797 popped up a screen showing the name of the caller (they were in my Contacts List)

I punched "answer" and was able to take care of a couple of calls from doctor offices "hands free'.

good audio, and they did not seem to have any problem understanding what I said, did not ask for any repeats on info I provided them.

I need to get the wife's phone and do some practicing calling my phone and see if the GPS will acknowledge "ANSWER" if I yell at it. The phone is supposed to, but I have never done that in my life. The wife loves it on her phone.... but I have always been a Bluetooth headset guy and just punch the button to answer.

Now, with the GPS doing the Bluetooth work instead of me wearing a headset, it would be nice to do a vocal "answer" instead of me having to reach over to the GPS screen which is not close to me.

~ John

post #98 of 111 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 PM

Garage
Another neat feature on the 2797

I live 100 feet from a School Zone and I have grown accustomed to hearing it give me the triple beeps as I approach School Zones.

Tonight, a couple minutes ago, I returned home from a grocery trip and No Beeps?

Hmmm, it usually goes off 400 feet exactly at the same place every time. Not tonight though... but it is 9:10 PM

Apparently Garmin has the Hours of Operation programmed into the GPS... which is very nice because our school zone has a 45 mph normal speed limit after hours compared to a 25 mph speed limit during school hours.

The local cops are kept quite busy handing out Safety Awards to those who are not familiar with our town.

~ John

post #99 of 111 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2002 GL1800.....yellow, the fastest color!
I'm on a 2000+ mile trip now, currently in lower Michigan. Went across the U.P. yesterday....gorgeous. Put on over 500 miles. I dunno how guys do a 1000?!?

I tried making a map on google but could not figure out how to get it onto my garmin, or into basecamp, which I'm beginning to think is a pretty poor program. You'd think garmin would have the best map and trip planning options out there!
So as I'm riding, I'm using my phone to decide roads to take (at stops) and just watching the GPS while riding.
post #100 of 111 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM

Garage
Larry has spent a lot of time helping me to work with MapSource and BaseCamp.

he and I are both of the opinion that BaseCamp is a piece of junk.
Its' only usefulness now is that we must use it as a conduit to convert a MapSource route to BaseCamp which can then export the route to the GPS.

I think it is horrible that Garmin has refused to allow MapSource to recognize the 2797 model GPS...

but, I am not finding sending routes to a GPS to be overly useful.
Every time to make a new route, and you include any of the way points from a previous route, the GPS makes duplicates of all of those way points and they just stack up in your 'favorites' or 'recently found' list...

that makes trying to go thru the Recent list a PITA because as you all know, you can't get to the bottom of the list before the damn GPS decides to resort it all beginning at the top again.... you never get to see the last thing that you have entered.

I am giving up on using either one of those programs, and creating my own waypoints in the GPS manually and saving them. That way they only get created ONCE.... then I just keep a paper map laid out and the waypoints circled to head to next. piss on MapSource/BaseCamp.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page