Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I'm going to use the suction mount that came with it and place it on the windshield for the "near term"....

If I don't like that, will get a RAM mount and tie it to the left handlebar grip, long RAM extension bar and center it between the handlebars.

I had that setup on my '94SE and it worked fine.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Garage
Just a note to those who might wonder.

I just acquired the Garmin 2797 and love what I have been able to figure out so far.

Bluetooth:

The 2797 paired up with my Samsung Galaxy S5 so fast, I thought there was a mistake.

Now, will it work simultaneously with a Bluetooth headset?

yes, and no. Depends on what you expect to happen, and for me it was different than I wanted, but it turns out it might be a "good thing".

Turned on the GPS (damn that thing boots fast!)
It immediately showed up on the S5 phone's Bluetooth page as "connected"

I then turned on my Blue Parrott trucker's headset and it also connected immediately to the phone......... but not the way it has done before.... it says "Connected as Media". hmmmm

Okay, opened up the dialer, Long Press on digit '1' brings up my voice mail.
The audio is routed thru the 2797 GPS and a lot louder, and immensely clearer than any other bluetooth device I have hooked it up to. (my car does not have bluetooth)

So, now my BT headset can only listen to MP3 stuff or Pandora radio app, etc...

I see an advantage that can be used for when our son calls us, the GPS can now be the "conference call" transceiver and his mom and I both get to listen to him... now that is a good thing, we have to share one on one because the phone's extSpeaker audio is the pitts, and its' microphone is worse... our son does not like to listen to us on speaker phone.

I am now trying to Make an outdial call from the GPS...
I can select a previous number, but it won't dial out.
I can bring up a kybd and type in a number, but can't make it dial out.

I open the phone up and all I see is the Home Screen...

Looking at the manual, it says to use Apps, Phone, Dial and you can enter a number, or use the phone book to select a contact from your own contact list.... that is nice....
except on my S5 it still refuses to dial out from the GPS.

oh well, I can use the phone to initiate the call, and then the GPS will be the Conference Call device.... all's well that ends well....

again, we have to adapt to what technology provides us, learn to use it, and get on with life

The 2797 is a huge leap beyond the Garmin 660, 600, 450, 1450 GPS devices I already own... some of which are now broken.... or I just simply got tired of their antiquated software and pitifully slow operations.

~ John

post #43 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Model: 2000 GL1500SE
Money well spent!!

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Year: 1999
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I just looked at my bookmarks to see what I have trapped there.

Bluetooth solutions

Bluetooth Audio/Intercom/CB Adapter

bluetooth from j&m

Will that Sierra Electronics model help you out?

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail....SIE-CAR-GW-G9X

Thanks for the links John. I do not see what I am looking for there, the links seem to be all for the 1800 and I am looking for 1500.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
post #45 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2002 GL1800.....yellow, the fastest color!
Just got my 2595LMT. & it seems great! Looks like it was barely used at all! Plus....it's got Bluetooth and links up to my old iPhone 3GS! SUWEEEEET!!!
I have it mounted on the left handlebar, which seems like the best spot, albeit maybe even a tad close.

Brent
Live so that others know who you belong to

1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Aspencade
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750 (yes, had 2 of them!)
1980 Kawasaki LTD 750
multiple dirt bikes

Live so that others know who you belong to.
post #46 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Garage
Went to town today and got a chance to play with the 2797...
If you are sitting still, it will answer Voice Commands.
If you are traveling, it will NOT period, even though I have turned off the feature to prevent it from being accessed while moving.

It will answer the screen prompts at any time though.

After all of my shopping chores were done, I got the a/c going in the car, hollered "Hey Garmin" and it popped up, and I said "Find Arbys" and about 3 seconds later it asked if I wanted to go there...

nice.

I also got to use the Bluetooth connected to my cellphone. My son was not aware that I was using a bluetooth connection at all, he said it sounded good.

another plus for the 2797 series. I like it.

oh, just remembered.... on all of my old Garmins, the voice prompts said "Arriving at Destination"
Today, it said "Arriving at Arbys on left". Nice touch
superzimm likes this.

~ John

post #47 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 06:35 AM

Year: 1999
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
Ok, I ordered a 2797 yesterday. How did you mount it John? I am still trying to figure out where to put it. It may be a bit too large for the handlebar mounting position I have been using. Post a picture of your mount position please.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
post #48 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Ok, I ordered a 2797 yesterday. How did you mount it John? I am still trying to figure out where to put it. It may be a bit too large for the handlebar mounting position I have been using. Post a picture of your mount position please.
yesterday in the car, I stuck it on the windshield with the factory supplied mount. And then I gave it a tug to see if it would fall off... it won't...

So, I tried to see how it will hold to the 1800's windshield to the left or right of the Vent opening.... it is flat enough there to let it stick really snug also.
So, I am going to go give it a ride later today and see how that feels. Have to be sure it does not interfere with the handlebars.

Most likely will be ordering up a RAM mount for it to hold it off of the clutch grip, I have RAM extensions already from my '94SE days. Wish my son had been able to take off the RAM mounts from the handlebars after the collision with that Penske truck.... but I was in the hospital and not able to go recover stuff myself.

~ John

post #49 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:53 AM

Year: 2014
Model: Gl1800 Level 1 Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post

So did I ! I am going to try on windshield and if not talked to gps city and got all the ram #'s for left handlebar.
post #50 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 AM

Year: 2014
Model: Gl1800 Level 1 Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
yesterday in the car, I stuck it on the windshield with the factory supplied mount. And then I gave it a tug to see if it would fall off... it won't...

So, I tried to see how it will hold to the 1800's windshield to the left or right of the Vent opening.... it is flat enough there to let it stick really snug also.
So, I am going to go give it a ride later today and see how that feels. Have to be sure it does not interfere with the handlebars.

Most likely will be ordering up a RAM mount for it to hold it off of the clutch grip, I have RAM extensions already from my '94SE days. Wish my son had been able to take off the RAM mounts from the handlebars after the collision with that Penske truck.... but I was in the hospital and not able to go recover stuff myself.

Thanks for all your informative posts, they helped me make the decision on this unit.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page