4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:17 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
The 2797 arrived yesterday but I was away until last night so I did not have much time to play with it. I did start playing with it more this morning. The Bluetooth connects to my I-Phone and works perfectly. This is a great advantage for me. I keep the phone inside a tank bag and can not hear it ring, with the 2797 the screen alerts me when there is a call coming in. John as I told you earlier Basecamp will put all of your waypoints, tracks and routes on to your 2797. I transferred a lot of data to it this morning. It all seems to be working correctly. When I finish with this message I am going to mount the GPS and take the bike for a ride to test it all. When done, if everything is satisfactory, such as mount location, ease of use in that position, etc., I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them to this thread.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 AM

Model: 1999 GL1500 SE 50th Annv.
I use a Garmin 590, got it myself for Christmas last year. Expensive, but does everything from tire pressure monitor, Bluetooth - headset, phone etc, big touch screen works with bike gloves, very fast in operation and a host of other features, waterproof as well. I move it between the bikes and the car.

1983 GL1100, 2013 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Previous bikes - 1971 BMW R75, 2008 HD Softail, 2000 BMW R1100R, 1980 XJ650, XT500, GS550, 77 GL1000 x2 and a few others
post #63 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
John as I told you earlier Basecamp will put all of your waypoints, tracks and routes on to your 2797. I transferred a lot of data to it this morning. It all seems to be working correctly.
Larry,
as soon as I read what you said, I clicked on Basecamp and sucked out the 1450LMT info, and immediately uploaded them to the 2797...

I had to make a run into town for stuff to locations I have been before and everything was Old Home Week for me... it even fixed my "Home Button"

I have basecamp and Mapsource, and do not like either one of them.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM

Garage
I just got home from a small tour around the county. I took one of my grandsons with me, he loves riding on the bike. My wife is getting lunch ready and I'll take some pictures after lunch. The GPS pared with my I-Phone was great, It was loud enough to hear when I was getting a call and I could talk and the wind noise was not much of a problem. The GPS downloaded the phone book from my I-Phone and I was able to make a call out by saying "call name". You can also call out by entering the number to be called. The sound portion of this may all change when I get on a noisy highway. The routes that I made on my computer worked fine on the GPS. All the waypoints seem to be right on.

I have not figured out how to use the track functions yet. I'll have to work on that later.

She is calling me for lunch now. I'll post the pictures soon.

Larry

post #65 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:37 PM

Garage

great, know the grandson enjoyed the ride.
we are flooding here now, septic tank won't take any inflow until the rains stop.

I have NOT been able to get Voice Command to work While In Motion.... even though I have turned off the Prevent Use during motion.

that to me is a bummer, as I wanted to be able to yell at the gps and ask it for the closest motorcycle food place

~ John

post #66 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:20 PM

Model: 2000 GL1500SE
AZgl1800-
Sorry to hear your Voice Command is not responding like you want it to. Mine works 80% of the time on the 1500. I have it Ram Mounted just below the key.
Wonder if you're picking up more wind and highway noise than Larry and myself. If so, you might be able to put a mini hood over the small mike opening on the lower left side, sort of a "mini-reverse megaphone," 'cause it is a lot of fun to yell at the 2797, and have it do what you want it to!

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

post #67 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 PM

Garage
I had to take the grandson home so I am a bit late with the pix. I took him home, took a few pictures while there and was going to take some more when I got home. Long Story short, I got rained on all the way home. Here are a few pictures but I will try to get some better pics tomorrow.

New Pictures are below.

Larry

post #68 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randylexus View Post
AZgl1800-
Sorry to hear your Voice Command is not responding like you want it to. Mine works 80% of the time on the 1500. I have it Ram Mounted just below the key.
Wonder if you're picking up more wind and highway noise than Larry and myself. If so, you might be able to put a mini hood over the small mike opening on the lower left side, sort of a "mini-reverse megaphone," 'cause it is a lot of fun to yell at the 2797, and have it do what you want it to!

I have been doing my tests in the car, too much rain to get on the bike around here.

I will go thru the setup on it again, I had changed the wake up command to "Hey Garmin" because it is stronger to utter and it worked like a charm the first time or two I used it while parked in town and wanting to see how it worked to get me around. The 1st experience was super neat....
after that, it never worked again if I am moving....

and that is exactly what you need..... nearest fuel, or hotel "on route", not back behind you.

when you ask for that manually, it does not offer up the "on route" option, it defaults back to the old menu of the 1450LMT which is a bummer.

~ John

post #69 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
too much rain to get on the bike around here.
I hear ya. Its been almost non-stop downpours. Haven't ridden in over a week now because of it and I miss my therapy release!

Weather looking better for the weekend Will have to try and get over to radio shack and pick up some parts for this project

"riding is good therapy"

post #70 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 PM

Garage
I think these pictures are a bit better.

I can see everything I need to with it mounted there.

Just a slightly different angle.

This one is to show the Ram Mount that I used to position it correctly.

Larry

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > General > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page