Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
that RAM mount looks like it cradles the GPS and does not depend on the rear ball socket that Garmin provides in the unit itself.
Correct?

That ball socket scares me just a bit. If that comes loose, the GPS is gone to the street.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 10:33 AM

Year: 1999
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
that RAM mount looks like it cradles the GPS and does not depend on the rear ball socket that Garmin provides in the unit itself.
Correct?

That ball socket scares me just a bit. If that comes loose, the GPS is gone to the street.
John, you are correct, the Garmin ball is not used.

I made a page for you and anyone else that cares, to see how and with what parts I mounted the 2797 with. Hopefully I explained it so you can understand.

http://www.larryryan.net/mount.html

I have been using Ram Mounts on my Garmin and other products for a lot of years. I have never had one problem. In the beginning I tied a string on an MP3 player just in case. Never needed, so I stopped using strings.

I have used the phone and voice commands at up to 45 MPH and all was well. I will let you know what happens with wind noise if I ever get a call when I am on an Interstate doing 78 MPH.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
post #73 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Garage
thanks for that great mounting info diagram.
That special swivel ball mount was not available from RAM mounts back in 2004 when I had my '94SE. I had to use the extensions that came in different lengths. I like that one much better. Shorter, more stable, and a lower position.

Voice Command: in my car..... went to Tulsa for a CCP class.

I am having mixed results with this. Sometimes it works if I am sitting still. If the phone is paired up, it never works.

Today, I unpaired the phone and it worked once to find something "on route", but I was only driving about 1 mph.

Once I got out on the freeway and doing 65 mph, it would not accept voice commands period.

I double checked again, and the Check Mark to prevent searches while driving has been disabled. It should work anytime I want it to work.

Different problem. I asked it for "along route", it selected that option with a highlight and then stopped responding.... nada, zilch. Then asked it for something different and it gave me fuel by doing a search in all directions, not Along Route.

I am very upset with the voice command on this one, totally unreliable.

At lunch time, I went out and used voice to find a Burger King, it came up with a bunch of them, I told it '1' to select that one, it came back and asked if I wanted "Burger King", so I said "1" again, and it finally took it.

the voice feature is almost useless IMO.... I can never depend on it to work when I need it, which is while running 65 on the freeway and wanting to find something up ahead.

The pissy part is, if you do the menu manually, it is almost impossible to find the "along route"... their menu structure is so arcane as to be useless for that type search. I still think my old 2720 which is almost 15 years old is the best design they every made. It had a button for On Route and it worked every time.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 08:46 PM

Garage
I tried it in my wife's van this evening. And everything seemed to work. I told it to find my daughter's house and it did and it asked if I wanted to route to it. My voice commands have worked ok so far while on the bike. I have not tried it at and high speeds yet. I did run into one problem, when I updated the software it shut the Bluetooth off, killed the pairing and if I remember correctly it shut down the voice control. I now have everything back to normal.

I agree with the operating system on the old SP series, I loved them too.

I am also starting to understand BaseCamp a little better than before. The 2797 will not work with Mapsource so I have been using BaseCamp to do a lot more things. I still go to Mapsource for making custom routes, then copy the routes to BaseCamp and then load them to the 2797.

Larry

post #75 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:31 PM

Garage
I don't even try to do anything with MapSource or BaseCamp. Both of them make me so mad, I almost uninstall them.

Only reason I keep them is to import/export data to/from my GPS units

Yep, when I imported the data from the 1450LMT over to the 2797, everything changed to the settings there were in the 1450 unit (if they were available)

ie, the Home button just "magically" assigned itself to my home location.

there are a lot of neat feature on the 2797, and I will not get rid of it.... it is just that it does not live up to the loud advertisements that it will do "thus and thus"

I was really happy to have all of the 300 some odd special locations show up in the 2797...

Routing? I don't even mess with it, have to faith that it will do what it is supposed to, the 1450 sure would not... I just look for midway points, save those as favorites and just go to the next midway point.

I see no benefit in trying to establish a 1500 mile or 2000 mile "route" that will probably change after 2 hours into a ride anyway. Pointless to me.

Today was fun, I-244 is under construction all across the top of Tulsa, exits that were working last week are blocked this week.... on the way to my CCP class, I got off at Yale Blvd going north just fine. Last week returning from Mardonna's doctor appt in Tulsa, Yale Blvd on ramp going east was wide open. Not today, when I went back to go home, there is a row of 'road closed' signs for the next half mile. so I just kept going to the next east bound main road and cut over to Harvard Blvd and the 2797 quit trying to get me to turn around.

The 2797 has a quirk that I don't like. The 1450 handles this with aplomb..

ie, on this detour I took today, I got back onto the route home about 1/8th mile from where Harvard provides an eastbound on ramp to I-244.... not once did a I get a message that the turn was coming up...

I have noticed this now for the last 3 trips into Tulsa.... break the route up and detour and you are less than 1 mile from the next turn, sorry charlie, you do NOT get any verbal warnings.... the road is shown on the screen, but that is all.

The 2797 also has another neat feature to its' plus. Touch one of the top corners and look at the routing. If you touch the left top corner, it will show you the picture of the next turn on that lap... neato. and those pictures are big enough that you really get a sense of what that next turn is going to look like.

I can see that really being useful in a strange town.

~ John

post #76 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2002 GL1800.....yellow, the fastest color!
So far with my 2595, the voice commands have worked well. I took it in the truck yesterday and used it pretty flawlessly. And on the bike a few days ago I received a call going about 40mph and seemed to work well, although I couldn't hear it well, and the caller asked why I was yelling. Lol. So far very pleased with the unit.
But still unsure how to use it with the bikes speakers or my headset. Maybe that's not possible?

Brent
Live so that others know who you belong to

1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Aspencade
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750 (yes, had 2 of them!)
1980 Kawasaki LTD 750
multiple dirt bikes

Live so that others know who you belong to.
post #77 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 12:43 PM

Garage
that receiving call most likely depends on how high you had the speaker volume cranked up. Most folks keep it down low so the beep beeps are not annoying.

my wife does not appreciate the gps talking to me.... but with my 25 dB hearing loss, I keep it cranked "way up" and the phone call for me was good.

it will take a lot of road traveling to get familiar with all the nuances of anything new...

~ John

post #78 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM

Garage
John, I like Mapsource because I have been using it for so many years. I still do most things in Mapsource and copy and paste them into Basecamp to download to the 2797. Today I made a few routes for my son and I to take a trip to The Dragon, The Cherohalla Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. And then a different route for the trip back to his house in Alabama. I like the fact that I can have the route go where I want it to go as easy as can be. I can alter the route if I change my mind. All of this is very simple to do in Mapsource. It may be simple in BaseCamp too but I have not found it very simple so I must create in Mapsource, transfer to Basecamp then download to the GPS. It takes a little extra time but the routing is so precise I think it is worth the effort.

Larry

post #79 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 09:51 PM

Garage
Larry, thanks for your offer to help, after the teeth are "settled in", will give you a call.

~ John

post #80 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:58 AM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
i bought a garman 276c many years ago i am very happy .you can do most anything with this gps and more .its water proof and you can take it in a boat or plane you can even get a transducer and make it a fishfinder it just keeps giving.

life is good.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page