GPS advice: looking for new one. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2002 GL1800.....yellow, the fastest color!
GPS advice: looking for new one.

Hi folks. I'm looking to get a newer GPS unit. I have an old Garmin, but it's seen it's better days. I'd sure appreciate any feedback on units you have or had, good or bad. Not looking to spend much cash on one either. Just want one that's easy to use on the bike, and that can be seen easily. Thanks in advance!

Brent
Live so that others know who you belong to

1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Aspencade
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750 (yes, had 2 of them!)
1980 Kawasaki LTD 750
multiple dirt bikes

Live so that others know who you belong to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
Brent, this is like asking what type of oil or tires someone recommends. You'll typically get a lot of opinions but not a lot of substance. .

Many of the guys are using some of the newer car type of Garmin Nuvi GPS systems and just covering them with a plastic bag when it rains. I'm still using my old waterproof Garmin 2720 simply because it still works!! I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get map updates for it even though I have lifetime updates.

If you don't want to spend much you'll have to get a non waterproof unit. All of the units that are suitable for use on a motorcycle in the rain are expensive.

Henry

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
Hanko has given you the truth about the GPS picture as I see it also. I have had a lot of units over the years but now I have trouble seeing the smaller screens. I currently use a Nuvi 1450, it is ok but surely not up to the older units like the Street Pilot and GPSMAP series for navigation features. I would spend a lot of money for a GPSMAP 76 with a 5 to 7 inch screen. Waterproof, lots of navigation features, changeable data fields on different screens all things that are missing in modern GPS units from Garmin. And you could take it with you when you get off the bike and it would help you find the bike in a big mall parking lot. I call them every few months and enter a complaint that they need to make a GPSMAP 76 with a 5 to 7 inch screen.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 05:43 PM

Garage
I have a Garmin 755 on my Wing, been using it for many years, never had a problem with it. When it rains, if it's raining that hard you can cover it with a baggie or just take it off. I like it because it plays MP3's and I set it to an FM station and have it come thru my helmet over the bikes audio system.
I have a Garmin 50 with a 5" screen and 2014 maps that I used in my 2012 Nissan Armada but I just bought a new Nissan Titan that has a GPS in it. Let me know if you might be interested in the Garmin. $50.00 shipped to your house. It has GPS, cradle and power cord and 2014 maps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I used to have a Garmin 660 which I loved simply because it had a built-in FM radio transmitter.... and it stayed in Transmit Mode all the time....

This made hearing the GPS vocal stuff a breeze, as I used the dash speakers on the bike.

alas, that one broke.... then along came a 1450LMT which is pretty good, the screen is the size that I can see it w/o my microscopes on my nose... does NOT have FM radio... is still being updated regularly... Mine is mounted on a Garmin Bean bag because where I go, it goes.

We have about 3 small Garmin Nuvi GPS units, all would be too small for a bike, the keypad size is way too small and picky. Each is dedicated to a vehicle and left there.

I am looking for an new GPS device myself. At the moment, I am trying out CoPilot USA on my Android phone. It is available on iPhones also. It loads the states/region you select and stores it on the extSDcard if available, in the phone if not. What makes this a great app is that once it is running, it never, ever, needs to see the internet again.

With that, you have all the features of the smartphone, bluetooth, earbuds, WiFi connect to a car's system, etc.... just depends on the phone and the vehicle's capabilities.

So, for us to select a "great GPS" for you, is going to be nearly impossible. All we can do is list what each of us has done, and see if that will trigger a synapse in your brain cells and point you where you need to go.

there is a smartphone app that is called WAZE. This one is internet intensive, as it is a kind of Social App. When I see a train wreck of trucks and cars piled up, I can hit the Hazard Button and type up a discription of what is bad, and if North bound or South bound, etc.... then hit SUBMIT.

Immediately that information will show up on every WAZE app provided the user is going down that particular road and near enough that hazard needs to be avoided. It will automatically suggest a detour for you to get around that hazard.... my son is a believer in it, he commutes weekly to Dayton, OH from Atlanta, GA. He said he ignored the suggested detours twice, and found himself sitting once for 4 or 5 hours waiting for the wreckers to clear the road.

After that, he always takes the detours. He might be a few minutes later, but at least he gets where he needs to be.

I used it once from Tulsa, OK to Atlanta, Ga... I found it to be useful, but in my case I did not need to take any detours, as the Hazard went Poof! before I got there.

The Hazards are Automatically deleted as soon as one or more WAZE app users can travel past the Hazard location. neat app, but hell on battery power. You need to keep the phone plugged in, and located in front of the dash a/c outlet, it will get HOT!
That app is data intensive, but for what it was designed for, nothing else on the market can touch it.

~ John

post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:46 PM

Model: 2000 GL1500SE
You might want to take a look at the Garmin 2797. It is a seven inch screen, has Bluetooth capabilities, lifetime map upgrades, traffic reports with lifetime upgrade, and is actually loud enough for you to hear! Plus, you can take the back off, add a plug for external mike, then another for external speaker, and route it into your bike's audio system. This unit, together with a heavy duty ram mount, fits very well on the dash area, directly below the key (on a 1500 anyway) Another great feature is that it can be instructed and programed via voice commands, very impressive for bike use! The unit is approx. $190 for a refurbished unit, and another $80 for the Ram mount. It's the best GPS I have ever owned, and being a big screen, I can actually see it!

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 09:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randylexus View Post
You might want to take a look at the Garmin 2797. It is a seven inch screen, has Bluetooth capabilities, lifetime map upgrades, traffic reports with lifetime upgrade, and is actually loud enough for you to hear! Plus, you can take the back off, add a plug for external mike, then another for external speaker, and route it into your bike's audio system. This unit, together with a heavy duty ram mount, fits very well on the dash area, directly below the key (on a 1500 anyway) Another great feature is that it can be instructed and programed via voice commands, very impressive for bike use! The unit is approx. $190 for a refurbished unit, and another $80 for the Ram mount. It's the best GPS I have ever owned, and being a big screen, I can actually see it!
hoo boy, you just sold me....

Cellphones are the pitts for use on a bike.

I found 5 just now.... prices vary.

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?...n&maxAsk=12000

~ John

post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Got my refurbished 2797LMT off Ebay for $184.97.

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Garage
I found one from GPScity on eBay for $189 free shipping.
I have bought from that vendor several times before and they have always stood behind their products.

on fleaBay, you have to know who you are buying from.... this one I trust.

~ John

post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:40 PM

GPScity is definitely top notch. They are the ones I got my RAM
mount setup from.

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page