An Interesting Observation on the Biker 'Brotherhood' - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:24 AM

Year: 2005
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1978 View Post
Isn't there some sort of "etiquette" about breakdowns that specifies that you place your helmet on the ground out by the road to signal that you need assistance? I thought I read something about that somewhere. If the helmet isn't there, bikers may just think you've stopped for a break or to take a picture or something.
That's assuming you ride with a helmet.
(I always do.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
I started riding again in Dec of 08 and saw the helmet placement for help just the other day......is this something new??

Charlie
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post
I started riding again in Dec of 08 and saw the helmet placement for help just the other day......is this something new??
I've known it since childhood.
A friend of mine is a MSF Instructor and she brings it up within her classes.

Helmet, a boot, a towel, etc., ...anything that is visible and allows you to get the hell off the road so the gawking cagers don't run us over.
The idea is to get another pair of eyes looking out for the person actually working on the problem/bike.
A car is a good blocker to oncoming traffic.
Another bike works too.

Ever been on the side of the road with cars whizzing by and thought, "...man, I hope nobody hits me".

I trust none when it comes to saving my own hide on the side of a road. Cars, trucks and motorcycles block danger better than flesh.
pumpkinhead10a and gipsy42 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 12:54 PM

Year: 2001
Model: GL1800A
Garage
I will always stop for another biker or a person in a car. The way I look at it is, that might be me some day and I sure would like another person to stop to offer me help. Pay it forward.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1978, 1979, 1985, 1995
Model: GL1000, GL1000, GL1200I, GL1500I
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Were you wearing a helmet?
Did you put it on the ground about 20' back from the bike towards the oncoming traffic in your lane?

Sometimes you gotta know how to ask for help.

No helmet on the ground and I gotta play it by ear, so to speak.

I did not put my helmet on the ground and wasn't aware of that practice. I'll have to remember that if (hopefully not) it happens again. Although, the folks who were not on bikes stopped anyway.
There was one guy who stopped in a P/U truck that said he rode and couldn't ride by without asking if I needed help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1978 View Post
Isn't there some sort of "etiquette" about breakdowns that specifies that you place your helmet on the ground out by the road to signal that you need assistance? I thought I read something about that somewhere. If the helmet isn't there, bikers may just think you've stopped for a break or to take a picture or something.

That may have been true with the flat tire on I-40, but when you have the side covers off, trunk and saddlebags open and tools lying all over the ground (in the case of Glacier NP), I don't think anyone thought I was stopping for a break. LOL

D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Banned

...few ever touch a tool. Even fewer carry tools outside of a factory kit. Even fewer know what to do with a factory tool roll beyond changing air filter, oil or plugs.

Wasn't always this way, but an enormous amount of new riders have grabbed onto the "recreational" aspect in the last decade or so and know nothing about maintenance and service that can easily transfer down to their hands and not cause more problems.

Sometimes a good hand simply didn't put his tools on the bike.
All kinds of reasons.

Honestly, ...rarely have I ever seen a helmet or anything else on the ground. Seems it's either a scene as you've described your recent situation or ...nothing at all.

The helmet (or what-have-you) practice is there though. ..
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:03 PM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
Never heard of the helmet placement...been riding since 1964.

I ALWAYS stop if I perceive a fellow rider might need assistance. A rough and ragged HD rider stopped to see if I needed help when I was along side the road on a trip last summer. I appreciated the gesture but I waved him on, as I was only stopped momentarily.

Many years ago driving to Miami from Oregon I spotted an 18-wheeler ahead with steam rolling out the engine bay. I was carrying a 5 gallon can of water and as I pulled over in front of him I heard him (on my CB) talking to another trucker on the CB, saying "I wonder what this xxxxxx wants?" Maybe should have replied back that I would have given him the water he needed and driven on past...but stopped anyway and gave him the water.

Bikes vs. cagers; cagers vs. big rigs; everybody vs. everybody...we have a very contentious society, and a self centered one at that. Most of the "brotherhoods" have worn pretty thin these days.

If I spot someone in time who looks to need help, I usually stop and see what I can do. It was part of my upbringing.

Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The journey IS the destination .
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails View Post
I always stop for any biker too. Sometimes they dont want my help. But I check and see every time if I can.
we do stop also, if i was in a hurry! we would have left allot earlier ! i buy green bananas!

life is good.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:20 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Anyway DJ, glad you made it home safely from an abnormally eventful trip. 'Tis how memories are made. Right?

I notice you have filled in Washington and Oregon since last I looked at your site. Was that on this trip?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1978, 1979, 1985, 1995
Model: GL1000, GL1000, GL1200I, GL1500I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Anyway DJ, glad you made it home safely from an abnormally eventful trip. 'Tis how memories are made. Right?

I notice you have filled in Washington and Oregon since last I looked at your site. Was that on this trip?

Thanks and yes, this is how memories are made. I got a chance to meet some very interesting and nice people. On this trip, I got a chance to ride US 12 through Washington and the (rather windy) Columbia River Gorge. The highlights of the trips were the national parks (Glacier, Yosemite, Redwoods, Sequoia and Kings Canyon) and the Pacific Coast Highway.

D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at:
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page