Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I went back and reread that article in the paper.

Then I saw that the editor of the paper had taken up the ODOT folks for not making that part of the road "safer"... well, that ticked me off.... I write to that editor every once in a while, he needs to hear both sides of the issues....

and here is what I wrote to him
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I live at 390 & 169.

I ride my Honda Goldwing up to Talala to get gas for every tank of fuel, as that is the closest "real gas" available.

there is nothing wrong with the road between 360 and 350 for motorcycles.

It is going way too fast, after dark, and inattentiveness... this causes a m/c rider to "over drive their lights".... nearly all motorcycles do NOT have sufficient headlights for fast night driving.

I have special HID headlights on my Honda m/c that make the pavement light up like daylight.

yes, there is some broken pavement in a few places, but none of it severe enough to cause my motorcycle to leave the highway, nor to cause me to be "thrown off it"....

There is a slight curve to the west as you go north.... and if a m/c is in the east side of the north lane you can run off the lane onto the edge of the berm...

if you are riding so fast the rider can't handle that, then they are most likely doing 100 mph.... at 65 mph there are no issues with 169 in that area.
bodasefus likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Year: 1991
Make: GOLDWING
Model: GL 1500 se .
Garage
So sorry for everyone who lost a love one...RIP!!!
I never get on my bike without my helmet no matter how far I move my bike....as hard as my head is it still no match for pavement..but close!!
bodasefus likes this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Year: 1991
Make: GOLDWING
Model: GL 1500 se .
Garage
John get up with the reminders ...they make wake someone up and they will start to drive safer! Remember driving safe it's not for you but for your loves who matter to you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
This accident just happened a few hours ago, 2 miles north of my house on US169 near the intersection of 370 Rd.... I'm at 390 Rd. I heard the sirens headed north, but the Fire Station is located 1 mile south of me on 400 Rd and US169.... so anytime they head north, we hear them... this time, it is a local rider whom I might possibly know.... no info on names yet.

ROGERS COUNTY, Oklahoma - One person is dead after a motorcycle collision in Rogers County.
The crash took place between Oologah and Talala on U.S. Highway 169 on Sunday around 9:15 p.m.

Troopers say a driver was operating a motorcycle at a high rate of speed down U.S. 169 when he came upon another vehicle. He hit his brakes to avoid a crash, lost control of the bike, was ejected, and the motorcycle slid several feet, OHP says.

According to troopers, his helmet came off during the crash.

The other driver was unharmed and not involved in the wreck.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol closed the northbound lanes of U.S. 169 near County Road EW37 while the scene was investigated.

http://www.newson6.com/story/2974614...ycle-collision

Okay, here is an update:

Right now, I have videos uploading from my little excursion north up to Talala to buy some Pure Gas for the bike. I also on the same trip, stopped at MM350.6 to do a deep investigation into why a valedictorian high school graduate, with a college scholarship in his pocket for this fall, ran his Crotch Rocket off the road and killed himself.

His family and others are calling this little piece of pavement "Killer Road".

well, it isn't.... what it is: is a slight bend to the left of about 15 degrees to miss a Culvert Drain placed next to a RR Crossing...

2 hours after sundown, this 18 year old kid was going home from a Tennis Match in Tulsa and riding so fast, that he over drove his headlight and went straight into the ditch. The pavement was already gone before he realized he forgot that curve....
He was born and raised in Talala, and only a few miles from home...

Sad, but it is not a killer road. I just ran across that pavement pulling a trailer and felt a slight bump as the front wheel crossed a new patch that ODOT made to replace broken pavement (from freezing)

The bump is about an inch thick? just enough I noticed it on the 1800.

Here is a still photo of the offending Killer Road.

I purposely took the trailer with me so that with the bike and trailer parked in a straight line just a few feet before the curve starts, you can readily see that the road is not dangerous.

However, if you are traveling at 100+ and can only see about 300 feet ahead in the dark, the road is gone and you are in the ditch.

.the photo above shows the bike on pavement... don't know why it is there... there is a slight road repair about a 100 feet behind where I parked the bike/trailer... it is an asphalt patch with the typical raised bump of about an inch maybe.

~ John

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 08:27 PM

Track Days. Track Days. Track Days.

They help so much with rider development.

Learn to take your bike edge-to-edge, negotiate curves properly, and react to rapidly changing situations.
Aloha Tom likes this.

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 PM

Year: 1981 1100I [being triked now] 1995 1100 ACE & triked out 1100A
Make: Hondas
Model: 1981 1100i
Folks, We have to understand how hard it is on family members to lose a childs life, I lost my son in cager accident, There had been numerous accidents on this curvy road, after three tragic accidents the state put up a guardrail on both sides. I went to the scene as they was they were using the Jaws to remove him. The news said there could have been alcohol involved. The SHP done a blood test and FOUND nothing. BUT the child was beatup by people who do NOT know all the facts!! [after all he was deceased] We the people do NOT know what happened, Maybe a big bug hit him and or a varmit, as I stated we do not know. REST in peace young man, Blessings to his family and friends. and Rest in peace Charles Franz jr
pumpkinhead10a likes this.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Charlie in nc,

I and the newspaper editor have been doing more research on this event.

In trying to decide what might have happened, I went back up there today with just my 1800 without the trailer. The reason being, that I wanted to try and approximate the speeds at which "Tyler James Rodgers" probably was riding at... how fast, no one knows yet. I will never see the police report unless the newspaper editor can get it.

I will put in a request and see if I can have a copy of it. It is supposed to be Public Information. My purpose of these posts is to Keep Safety In Our Minds Every Time We Ride.

It only takes once to have an incident change our lives. I have used up 8 or my 9 lives in the accident linked to in my Signature. does this make me more sensitive to such things than other folks? Probably.

Anyway, back to that stretch of road. realizing that a 1,000 lb bike with a 275# rider is not going to react like that of a 550 lb bike with a 180 lb 18 year old kid on it.

but, at 105 mph indicated, I should be able to sense what the road surface is like.
I purposely rode down the middle of the seams where the pavement repairs have been joined, I rode across all of the rough looking spots... some of them were just oily looking places from where I remembered seeing an oil tanker getting a Safety Award from the local OK DPS officer.... he was held to that spot for almost 2 hours with that officer sitting there with him.

Anyway, I did not feel anything that should have caused the accident to happen from irregular pavement.

So, what happened? did an animal cross the road and he locked up the front wheel?
Did he actually strike an animal that was able to leave the scene?

No vehicles were on scene when the officer arrived, but someone called 911.

I do know that there has been a huge community response to this event. This boy was the Valedictorian this past June at Graduation Exercises.
He has a Scholarship to a big school.

The funeral was just about the largest attended event of record around here. This kid was well liked.

And it all came to an end in a few short seconds on his last ride home.

I don't know if any of you can use this link to the newspaper article, it is for my personal use via a subscription.

http://etypeservices.com/SubscriberM....aspx?II=95067

~ John

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 PM

Year: 2007
Model: GL18B Crucible Orange
Worked primary and assisted on numerous fatality crashes. Bikes, cars, industrial equipment, pedestrians, etc. Sadly I can't think of a single incident that happened to a truly non contributing driver, rider, etc. Every single one of the fatalities had at least one or two factors that contributed to the deceased's own demise. Sometimes it was overwhelmingly their fault and nobody else's sometimes it was mostly caused by others. The worst part was always trying to help the families deal with their loss and trying to seek justice if their lives were lost due to someone else's negligence or overt act.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 11:58 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
at www.gwrra.org Wing Rider school today- we practiced obstacle avoidance and encounters
= Crossing a 2x4 while doing the cone weave, ending with a simulated stopped truck and you had to decide
which side to dive to and stop! and more.
Sure the Wing goes over a 2x4 at 15mph no sweat, but 60mph at night and it was suddenly there - YIKES!

An animal-- that'll mess you up, and one reason I use a 12 volt powered deer defender = works on small animals and children too

Tire snakes are the more common threat in my area- the freeway is littered with failed truck tire retreads
Noobie Note: If you see a few small pieces of tire on the road = there is guaranteed to be more coming soon, and bigger badder pieces!
until you finally pass a truck on the roadside with a flat.
Cage or the bike doesn't matter- you don't want to hit those things, or be struck by a flying piece of it = CAN BE deadly to motorcyclist!
Sliced the head off the Mythbuster test dummy!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
there was no mention of road debris in the newspaper article.

but, I know from experience that a half tire casing from a semi-truck can be super bad for you.

Assume that this lad met up with one of those casings, and it wrapped up around the front tire, and jammed into the forks. Instant stop, and instant upset for the rider.

but the photo does not show any real damage to the front wheel.

It does appear that it probably did get upside down.
Damage to rear passenger seat, shelter gone from over the gas tank,
fairing windshield area is gone, as is the dash components.

it almost looks like it did an endo, head over heels,
but no direct appearance of having crashed into something hard.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page