How did you remove the screws on the Garmin 2797 GPS ? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:27 PM

Year: 2003
Make: GL1800
Model: Wing
is there a microcenter near ya? they have small bit sets down to a #1 or 2 torx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have always worked in or near a big major metropolitan area.....
and, there have always been good sources available to me before.

I retired from the city of Phoenix, AZ and was there for 20+ years....

enjoyed 50 mbps internet service years before anyone else even had internet.

now, I am in the rural grasslands of Oklahoma and feel like I have gone back into the dark ages.

Most of the technical stuff I want has to ordered online.
Tulsa has some things available, but it is not a hot spot for the electronics industry. it is an oil town and the services for that industry...

Saturday, I went into town to stop at a Radio Shack to get a small audio jack.
Pulled off my ATGATT and walked up to the door, and was met by 4 blanks walls w/o any sheetrock on them. just metal studs.... so much for the electronics industry here.

When it comes daylight, I will go into town and stop at wwgrainger and see what I can find there... hopefully they will have what I need.
it does have a growing educational environment that is well respected worldwide... but still, no #0 or #1 Torx screwdrivers

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I tried to file some screwdrivers down to fit the Torx screws.
no success...

Tried to locate some in Tulsa, no success.

then did a search and located this set of tools which does have a T3 Torx in it.
so, did a search to see if a T2 Torx is known by Google, and no it is not.

So, taking a big breath of air, and just ordered up this set.... hope it fits the screws.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...ver-sets-92200

just a side comment: the website professed that "free shipping" was part of the deal.
PayPal wanted to add on money, canceled that, and tried the VISA card method.
that also wanted to add on shipping.
so, called up their help line, and got a very helpful fella "Bruce" who said "I can fix that" and he did.

it will ship out tomorrow morning.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:19 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
John,

Radio Shack's went "4 paws up" a few months ago... They were selling off their existing inventory and then shuttered the doors -not sure if anyone bought them to reopen - I kinda doubt it... Electronics parts stores for the hobbiest are things of the past these days...

You might find the tool you are looking for by googling cell telephone repair tools... I picked up a few sets for not too much money and they all had small torks in them... The set you ordered said it had these sizes in it - T-3, T-4, T-5, T-6, T-7, T-8, T-9, T-10, T-15, T-20

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yep, Les, and the Only Reason I ordered was to obtain the 'T3' Torx tool.

I have two sets of the T4-T20 already....

I had a lot of trouble just finding anything smaller than T4, and none of the brick fronts in Tulsa carry anything smaller than a T10.

I have a T30, T25, T20 with a 3/8" drive socket head on them.
Used back when I made money jerking seats out of cars so I could install electronic gizmos under them...

For Charlie, who was wondering why I had to remove the seats, I now remember why it was. We installed the CAD System AutoGPS transponder down there to keep it out of the way of the Firefighter's boots.

The Phx Fire CAD system always knows where every vehicle in the fleet is to within about 15 CM... that is because they have a fixed GPS Trimble receiver that delivers the offset to correct for the satellite signal errors.

17 days and counting, hope the mail don't get lost.

~ John

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 PM

iFixit.com
has pentalobe drivers

Classic Wing Club member
NakedGoldWings member
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by George in Rancho C View Post
iFixit.com
has pentalobe drivers

I need to change the title I guess, it has since been found that the screws are actually 6 pointed stars with 90* vertical ridges.

That pretty much makes them a Torx type screw head.

I've ordered a couple of kits from different sources, I'm just anxious to get everything on the bike all fixed and done with. I need at least a week of good sleep before I start out on the trip.

I don't want to be frustrated on the last day, with something not right.

~ John

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Grrrr, that screw is smaller than a T3

Well, today I just received the Eklind precision Torx screwdriver set.

T3 through T20... yep every one of them....
all I wanted to buy was a T3, but no one on earth will sell just a single Torx T3

and for Love of a Duck, that screw is even smaller than a T3 ~!

I have two more tiny precision screw sets coming, both advertised for cellphone repairs and one professes to have a T2.....

I have not been able to find any such thing as a T1, but right now, I am willing to bet there is one, and this GPS is a T1.... that is the way my luck is running on this thing.

I have tried all of my flat screwdrivers, and none of them that will fit into the slots are strong enough to turn the screws... they are in TIGHT...

sigh!!! waiting on the mail lady again....

she has a nice new Right Hand Drive Jeep today.... didn't ask what it costs, but I am willing to bet it was not cheap.

she said it is the best thing she ever did, her body quit hurting because she has a petite build, and straddling the transmission hump from the right seat, was killing her.

~ John

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Everything else I ordered came in today... actually Friday, we did not hear the mailman leave it at the side door...

I just discovered all of the mail, and 40# of dog biscuits parked between the storm door and the metal side door to the garage.

Now I have T2 Torx screwdrivers.... 3 of the blessed things.
and what the ?????? they are too small would you believe?

so, I went back to the 1st set that arrived and pulled out the T3 Torx, and placed it over the screw-head again.

Twisted and nothing.... "has to be it", so I pushed HARDER and "Plop" down it went pretty as you please.

1 screw is out, and I'm on my way to getting the GPS open and bringing out audio...

but it is midnight, and I'm way too tired to finish up the job...

more later guys 'n gals...

~ John

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, time to give this a "Wrap Up"... I hate unfinished threads and you don't know how it all turned out.

The screws on the Garmin are T3 Torx, and they are made out of Aluminum.
The screw head mangles easily if you try to push too hard on the Torx screwdriver and it is not quite lined up right.

I really would have enjoyed all brand new screws to put it back together, but time has run out, and I need this done today....

So, I put the old screws back in about half-way. More than that, the case gets messed up, so I quit. The back of the GPS case "Snaps Together" anyway... so I can only assume the screws are there to prevent the case from snapping off from a windshield mount on a hard bump.....

but, I had to use special cellphone tools to get that case open, even with the screws removed... this is overkill on Garmin's part.

The new audio cable is installed, I left 4 inches outside the case with a molded jack on the end of the cable. Looks great, works fantastic. The audio level from the voice coil of the GPS speaker can easily over drive the bike's intercom.... the first time I heard it, it almost took my head off. I reset the GPS volume to 50% and that was much better.

One Comment: The audio cable I used is a Stereo Cable. I twisted both leads together and soldered them to the speaker voice coil. I was not a 100% sure which lead that the Intecom Adapter would use, most likely the "tip" but I made sure both the "tip" and the "ring" terminals would have audio.

The Sierra Electronics interface also has a volume control. It was set at mid-range, I backed that off to 25% and now things sound very smooth from the GPS.

The truckers where having a holiday on Channel 19, and the GPS muted them perfectly.
I am a happy camper.... Going to Miami, OK tomorrow to visit with LtDan282 whom I have not seen in several months.

Here are a couple of pictures showing how my audio cable install went.
I drilled a hole thru the back of the case adjacent to the speaker's terminals. The hole is in a trough between the battery and the speaker's housing. The cable insulation sticks thru about 3/8 inch. I used E-6000 flexible clear cement to keep that cable from being pulled back out of the GPS case.

and here is how I attached the wires to the speaker.

So, 33 in newsprint code, it is a wrap.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page