LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Trash bags, I always use them, but did not think to put them on my list. Tnx,

went to Fearless Freight today, and they fearlessly deducted a great deal of cash out of my wallet.

But, I have more of the things that I should have just gone and got before I started on the bike.... I wasted hours and hours, trolling thru my shop looking for tools that "I used to own" but can't find anymore. Too many hands used to live in my house down in Arizona... lots of stuff walked out the front door in between my trips from AZ to OK and back to AZ again, to get the next load. sigh! the only enjoyment I got out of that, is he is in a free hotel for the next 7 years.

bought a nice tool bag, metric sockets which I couldn't find here, and more stuff that just seems to pop off the shelf hangers and plops down into your shopping cart.

went in with a $20 thought, and walked out with a debit over the century mark.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
hey! my toolkit is going to well prepared to help other folks who need a crimping tool.

as I mentioned in a thread somewhere, my crimpling tool lost the gadget in the middle that made it into a ratcheting positive crimp tool. It makes a Gas Tight crimp, wires do not corrode inside a crimp made with this thing.

just opened up my email and found this note:

John,
The tool you have is our 3120 CT. It appears you are in need of the eccentric stud and nut. I will send you these at no charge to your address below.

Kind Regards,
Monica Larsen

Rostra Tool Company, 30 E. Industrial Rd., Branford, CT 06405 USA
Monica Larsen / Production Coordinator

~ John

post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
here is a close up of the tool I need to fix, I have found several with the same frame still being made, hope that I can get the little threaded collar that goes into the ratchet mechanism.

This one tool handles every thing from 10 gauge barrel insulated crimps down to 22 gauge... I have used it for many years.... more than 20 at least.

i just left an email to the company via their Contact Form on their website. Be interesting to see if they will reply to me.
Those compound crimping tools are the best - used to use them at work all the time - expensive though... Most of the ones I used were in 100-200 dollar price range...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Less, I don't have it anymore, I had to leave it behind at my place of employment.
It was another of Sargent's compound crimper tools.

It is the type that puts a Reverse Curve into the butt splice. The one I used had 5 different crimps in it. The range of splices it would handle was much narrower for that tool. It was splice specific, and used on bare splices. Then you pulled heat shrink over the splice. That crimper most definitely left a Gas Tight crimp. The joint was so strong, that the wire would pull apart outside of the crimp, not in the connection.

I'm sure you know of the type I mean, it did a double crimp.
1 on the wire itself,
the 2nd on the insulation to prevent damage at the end of the crimp.

~ John

post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Senior Moment Member

Model: 2004 GL1800A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Looks like a pair of scissors, except it is shaped like a pair of pliers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hemo...utf-8&oe=utf-8

If you were a child of the 60's they were also known as a "Roach Clip" since many of them were liberated from Hospitals and doctors offices for use in holding a joint until it was completely smoked up.

We used them to hold wires in place while soldering because they were the best set of additional hands you could find!!

Henry

2004 GL1800A Dark Red
Yes that is ice on the fender!!!
Darksider # 902

post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanko View Post
If you were a child of the 60's they were also known as a "Roach Clip" since many of them were liberated from Hospitals and doctors offices for use in holding a joint until it was completely smoked up.

We used them to hold wires in place while soldering because they were the best set of additional hands you could find!!

Henry

I agree, I had a pair with the severely curved end on them, great for just laying on the flat side, and holding wires up in the air for you.

Especially when working with #30-#26 wires

~ John

post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 PM

The Kermit Chair Company. This will take apart and easily fit in side bag. Bit expensive but very high quality and comfortable. Made in Tennessee.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have made two trips to harbor freight this week, I am all covered.
Every time I needed to do something and was missing something while working on the bike this week, I just added it to the shopping list.

Now, anything that got touched by my hands this week, it going to be packed into that little tool bag I found at Harbor Freight. It is about 12 inches long, about 6-7 inches wide and 8 inches tall.... holds every thing that I have used....
1/4 inch socket set, 3/8 inch deep socket set, both in Metric.
I had ratchets galore before I started, just nothing to put on them.... somehow, the ex-stepson managed to get most of my tools back in Arizona.... I don't feel bad at all, that he is getting 3 free meals and a cot for the next 15 years...

anyway, I have enough to damn near overhaul a Goldwing.
If it was needed, it is going to get packed. That is what trailers are for.

I even bought a little plastic parts kit thing, and put in some miscellaneous crimp terminals, a pack of heat shrink, some 3M #88 electrical tape, and my Sargent crimping tool.

Everything that has been mentioned in this thread, is in my kit... I think even Mr. Dave Ogden would be able to work on a Goldwing just fine with the stuff I am hauling

~ John

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
Hemostats are great heat sinks as well.

Charlie
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:48 PM

Year: 1985 1984
Make: Honda's 3
Model: GW Aspy & LTD, LTD 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post
Hemostats are great heat sinks as well.

Funny you should mention that . I just used mine today for rhat very reason. Had to soder a switch at work today HUMMMMMM

1984 Aspencade Premium Beige Metalic..... Right Wing
1985 LTD Sunflash Gold 85,530 Grace Brown...... Left Wing
A Bird can\'t fly on one wing
That\'s why I have three wings
And another 85 LTD, LTD 2 Sunflash Gold Grace Brown.... Tail Wing

With three wings I believe I can fly

AL
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page