My customization thread - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Model: current 2002 GL1800,1986 gl1200 Aspy. 2002 harley d ultra classic..
My customization thread

So lately I have been messing with Hydro dipping. For those that don't know what it is google it..lol
The wife likes the "blacked out" look but that is not really my style. I like the way chrome looks on black, but its alot of work to maintain. To keep the boss happy I'm slowly transforming my chrome into carbon fiber..

Here it is the day I bought it..

These little pieces were my first real attempt at dipping, took me a couple tries but I finally am starting to get the hang of it

Found this cowl and lower skirts on CL for $30, and in grey, the color I need for my base coat. Havent dipped the skirts yet, stay tuned..

Playing around with some wind wings I had laying around, and extra reflectors. Testing to see how transparent the material is

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
wow!

that is a good job, and you are getting good at it.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:04 AM

Year: 94
Model: GL1500SE
Carbon Fiber = Sweet Look Nice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:34 PM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
Looks really good on the chrome, but I think lens need to stay original colors for safety. I don't know what product your using or how hard it is to do that, but it looks cool. I know about paint I was a automotive paint guy for 30 years and have done a lot of custom stuff with graphics and shading. Sold a lot of House of Color candies. That looks like a base color and then sprayed again with the pattern color sprayed thru something. We used to do something with lace dollies for custom motorcycles and put pattern's and then clear them looked real cool at the time. Keep up the good work, and I wanted to put a good paint job on my GL 1100 but ended up parting it out. I will say a goldwing has a lot of parts to paint if you did one complete. It would be a job to do one right. LOL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burns View Post
Looks really good on the chrome, but I think lens need to stay original colors for safety. I don't know what product your using or how hard it is to do that, but it looks cool. I know about paint I was a automotive paint guy for 30 years and have done a lot of custom stuff with graphics and shading. Sold a lot of House of Color candies. That looks like a base color and then sprayed again with the pattern color sprayed thru something. We used to do something with lace dollies for custom motorcycles and put pattern's and then clear them looked real cool at the time. Keep up the good work, and I wanted to put a good paint job on my GL 1100 but ended up parting it out. I will say a goldwing has a lot of parts to paint if you did one complete. It would be a job to do one right. LOL
HOK is might favorite paint. I really want to do the bike in HOK Burple. I have seen the lace and that is incredibly tedious and awesome stuff. This hydro dipping is fun and I am still learning the techniques. I am trying to go with a metallic dark steel for my base coat..

Got the cowl installed today. There are blemishes on it, but I am going to leave them for now

As for the reflectors, I am just playing around just top see whats possible
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I really like that lower cowl, can't wait to see it in person.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:02 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Me too, the over all effect is really nice.

~ John

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 AM

Thats a great job on the sidelights and cowl. It really sets it off on the bike. looking forward to seeing the lower cowlings done.

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I really like the contrast of the colors, my paint skills are to less than desirable.lol The lower cowl didnt turn out quite as I expected, there is some blems in it but I wanted to see how it would look as it comes together. I can always sand it down and re dip it over winter, but I really wanted it on for ESMG.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 PM

You did some really nice work there. And the pieces you chose to dip are not the easiest because of their shapes,theyre really impressive.

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page