post #31 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Power Guy, are they on 1500s?
are they using the stock reading off the gauge? There is a DIY on here- John wrote it-
As you know the stock setting is wildly inaccurate, and runs well beyond Got to be empty by now! line

Empty the tank then bend the float arm- like an old toilet setup, so when you add 3 gallons of gas it reads exactly Half, from there to empty should be very accurate
Needle wont move much in the first 50 miles, and what we care is the last 50!!
When it goes below that last mark and heads for Empty = the Low level light should come on, if its working that day~
Head for gas station soon! If light and gauge agree, you have approx. 1 gal remaining,,
Who knows exactly how much of that is useable-- can be picked up by the pump..I don't know!
lets call it 20 miles on the reserve/low light On, with a safety factor,,is that realistic?

The main reason to have an average mpg number in mind is for trips or backroads exploring where some quick calculations tell you to refuel now with the Harleys, or you are good for another 70 miles home or to your favorite brand of fuel
I use 35 and 40 minus a little for mental math on when to refuel and at prepay fueling situations...
lets see, 4 8 12 143 miles,,is ahhh gas cost 3.?? a gallon Heres a 20, I will be back!

The other reason to have a baseline is when a part konks out- computer or carb or whatever, any sudden drop and you don't remember huge headwinds at full throttle = time for a look under the cowling

A polished windshield helps- polish the nose and leading edges of your Wing, the rear too- if you get as much backwash air as I do~
Go ahead and wax the entire bike while you are getting better. Wax Both sides of shield for anti-fog protection
I waxed my lid, got to be careful not to drop it afterwards...whatever I can do to improve the aero
Its science that a brick going 70 has more drag than a brick going 55
Thanks for the coments Tom. I believe my buddy has an 2006 1800. (he is in Florida) he said he ran the bike until it ran out of gas and when he filled the tank the most he was able to fill it was just over 5 gallons. (5.2 i think he said). I had read where others have said the same thing. And yes i need to adjust the float in my "bowl". I show empty (beyond the red line) and when i fill up only will hold 4.6 Gallons) Have never ran 100% dry so i always assume that i have about a gallon and a half left

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right winger View Post
I'm with you on that Rayjoe I'm too at the point that I don't care about gas milage when it needs it I buy it. As long as the machine is running to it's designed efficiency that's all that matters . I just ride and ride . Keep the fluids full and clean keep filters clean keep good tires and psi checked . And what will be will be .
I can respect that you just want to ride. I want to get my bike tuned the best that i can and then as others have said if the mileage drops i know to start looking at things. I plan on doing a few long rides and need to set a baseline in my mind. But having said all of that you are correct Let's just ride and have fun!

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #33 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:43 PM
BMS
Brookville Motorsports

Model: 1990 GL1500
To know the range of your bike. Put a one gallon gas jug in your saddle bag and run the bike at your normal speed. As soon as you feel a little hesitation pull over and check your mileage. Pour in your spare gallon and look for a gas station. simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:01 PM
BMS
Brookville Motorsports

Model: 1990 GL1500
Chromo,
Very well stated. Its amazing how different people have different results with gas.
I do Iron Butt rides so I'm all over the place. My latest ride was a Trifecta. 1500+ miles a day for 3 days. I also ride with a 5 gal. fuel cell. I ride all interstate and I push hard. All I know is the two times I was able to fuel up with Shell I was able to run at least 50 miles further than any other gas. I buy the high octane called V-Power.
I have experienced the same results on other Iron Butt rides with Shell gas.
post #35 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:10 PM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Quote:
gas mileage, who cares.
Many of us do for many different reasons!

One main thing is if we know what MPG we should be getting and it starts to drop several tanks in a row by much we have a clue maybe something is not right if it's our normal riding!
If I buy a tank of gas in an area and drop from 40mpg to 30mpg on that tank, I will not buy gas at that station again as it is obviously bad gas! Just common sense!
That happened to me in Bullhead City, NV I think it was. Just the one tank got me 30mpg and I almost got stranded off in desert! All tanks before and after were right around 40mpg, so no reason other than the gas to have got only 30mpg that one tank!

Not everyone lives with a gas station every 5 miles in any direction.

Some of us DO have to make a choice about where to buy gas and how far we might be able to ride to a station!
For me I have to ride about 13 miles to get gas from home, nothing any closer to me! I don't like those 3 stations I can choose from either. Those stations are to the East of me! If I want to go WEST I have to go about 45miles to get gas!
Normally I try to fill up every-time on way home so I'll have plenty of gas for next trip. But sometimes I am out riding small trips West and not near a station so this means I may be low on gas like now. I been making several small 10 mile round trips and a few 40 mile round trips since I last got gas because I was never near the stations!
So do I have enough gas to make it safely 45 miles West to fill up, or do I need to make a 26 mile round trip first in wrong direction to fill up? Sure only 13 miles to the station but it is wrong direction, then I would ride right back past my house after I fill up. A big waste of time, stations I don't like, higher prices, etc... so if I can just start my trip from home and head WEST I would much rather do that!
I'll see which way I head out once I look to see what the trip counter says! I hope it says less than 160 miles so I can just start out in correct direction!
I normally try to fill up at around 180miles or a bit more on trips, though I have pushed it to 230 miles once or twice.

Sometimes we may want to go somewhere with someone else and not want to make a detour to get gas if we don't have to!
When I take my 4AM rides I often follow wife to work because it is on the way where I am going. Actually she follows me most the time.
If I need gas then when we get to town I have to detour south 2 miles and waste time, so she just goes on to work while I get gas. So I need to know if I can safely make it 50 miles before I have to have gas so I can run with her to work and get gas after she goes to work.
Sometimes it may be for an import reason also that I need to run with her. Maybe I am heading out for a trip for a week or more and need to run by bank and get money for her to pay some of my bills while I am gone.
Maybe I just suddenly decided I can't sleep at 3am so I'll run 150 miles to the big city and do some shopping for tools, when we get to her work I see if she has anything she wants me to get her while I am up there. So we run together to her work and that gives her time to make a shopping list LOL
Knowing my MPG is right around 40 let's me look at the trip counter and decide before we leave home if I have to have gas or not, if I think I do need to stop for gas then she has to give me any list of things to buy before we leave home!

Sometimes there are reasons OTHER than the gas itself to choose a certain station, it's nice to know you can make it there or not!
When I head south to visit a friend the station I like is 50 miles from home! I like the people so support their business, I am friends with several people that work there so I can say hello when I get gas, Coffee or Capachino is about $0.80 less than local for same large size! Other stuff I may want is also better and cheaper like a morning breakfast sandwich. Gas is also cheaper and a brand I like better than at home. So if I can just look at trip counter and know I have plenty of gas to make it to that station I like WHY would I want to just stop local where I do not like!

I have been in areas of big cities I just plain DO NOT want to stop at! Pull into a station and people are handing over drugs in plain sight not even trying to hide what they are doing and the place is a dump with bars on windows and doors locked, cashier sitting behind bullet proof glass, sorry I just do not care to stay there long enough to get gas!! It's really great if I can just look at trip counter and see I should still go at least 50 more miles!!
I don't even stop at those places, I see what it looks like as I pull in and just roll right on through!
Chicago, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Atlanta, Cleveland, etc.. etc.. all have a bad end of town and if I don't know the town/area I don't know till I pull into the station if that is a place I want to be or not! Sometimes I can tell easy enough if I have to ride a few blocks on city streets I just need to get on HY again right now! Sometimes the station is right at the exit and can't see anything till pulling in! Then it's a slow and go, no stop! Unless I am on fumes and HAVE to have gas or be walking, then I just have to take the chance maybe.
So far I always been able to do a quick look at trip counter and fast math and know I could get out of the area safely having at least another 40-50 miles of gas left so don't stop!

Often it's not cost of gas but the principal of the thing! Like in ES Labor day weekend.
Average gas was around $2.15- $2.25 that I was buying. Maybe 10 miles away was a station for $2.95! $0.70 gal more, just a rip-off! Not like I could not afford it, just not stupid enough to pay it!
While out riding I was getting a little low on gas, only station I saw was about $3gal! Great to look at the GPS and see only 45 miles to where I was going and I knew gas was there if none sooner, and quick look at trip counter and I saw I could make it easy enough though lower than normal! So I saved $0.85gal but more important was the rip-off station did not get any of my money! If I had no clue what my MPG was I could not have done that!
We had gone inside to get a cold drink, a $1 bottle of Gator-aid was $2.50! Heck with that! We drank what we had in the cooler bag with us and it was still cold and ice in it.

Now It ain't just that I am CHEAP, I think wife and I spent around $300 at the auction that night in ES.
Heck we have plenty of those tennis racket type bug zappers, but wife paid a good bit for one at the auction just because they said the buyer could zap BASSMASTER with it! LOL
Then she auctioned off swats on Bassmaster, and then she gave away the zapper!
Was allot of great fun, not cheap, but FUN! LOL

I bought several things I have no use for just because no bid, and even bumped up my own bid a few times on some things! LOL
I guess I will just mount the Chrome 1800 levers on the wall in the shop for looks since I don't have an 1800 LOL

Knowing MPG and looking to get decent average MPG is not just being cheap, or not wanting to pay rip-off prices for nothing is not just being cheap either.
But honestly, if I had a 1500 that got 30mpg and also one that got 40mpg, and both were just as much fun, why would I want to be happy with 30mpg??
I got better things to do with my money than give it to OPEC for no reason!
If I only had 1 1500 WING and it only got 30mpg at best, I would have just as much fun on it, but I would be looking to see why it did not get 40mpg like my other 1500 wings do now!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #36 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Model: 96 SE
So far, with 3 years of ownership, I have averaged 40.508mpg over 23451mi.
This figure includes an 1800mi trip to Baton Rouge pulling a trailer where I averaged 37.8,
a 800mi trip to Illinois (Quad Cities) and averaged 38.599. Both of those trips were pulling a Cycle Mate 2000 that I borrowed.
post #37 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS View Post
Chromo,
Very well stated. Its amazing how different people have different results with gas.
I do Iron Butt rides so I'm all over the place. My latest ride was a Trifecta. 1500+ miles a day for 3 days. I also ride with a 5 gal. fuel cell. I ride all interstate and I push hard. All I know is the two times I was able to fuel up with Shell I was able to run at least 50 miles further than any other gas. I buy the high octane called V-Power.
I have experienced the same results on other Iron Butt rides with Shell gas.
It may just have to do with the stations in certain areas, and maybe how they are maintained also?

Here is a great example that is totally true but I am sure many will argue various things with no real clue!

Station 1 near home is a truck stop on state line, everything I ever had has ran bad on their gas so I no longer buy from them ever!
SAME brand about 50 miles away was GOOD gas and everything I had ran great on it! So I used to buy it all the time when I was there!

Wife worked near station 50 miles away so almost all gas she bought was from there! Her car ran great all the time.
When off work a bit and she bought gas local at the truckstop her car ran bad!
SAME BRAND, just different stations and about 50 miles apart!

Years ago when we bought gas 50 miles away all our stuff ran great, cars, vans, trucks, I did not have bikes then.
ANY station in town here except one and all the vehicles ran BAD!
That 1 station was independent and if I ran MID GRADE all my vehicles ran good, 87 most ran fine but not the 84 ranger truck or the 84 Mercury, both of those ran horrible and HAD to have mid grade!
Up 50 miles and all ran great on 87 octane.

Now NONE of my vehicles needed anything more than 87, BUT 87 was horrible gas in this town!

We had allot of strange issues ONLY when running LOCAL gas!
Like start the Mercury it rev far too high for like 3 minutes or such. Drop it into gear and felt like going to rip out the tranny!
Was like pushing the gas peddle 1/4 way to floor!
ALL 87 gas in town here caused that, only 4 stations then, and ONLY the independent station gas at MID GRADE did not cause it! The other stations gas of any grade did cause it!
Never an issue with any gas 50 miles away with 87 and car ran perfect!

My ford ranger with a 5spd took to having an issue with local gas also!
Once kid and me were on way to a fle market I was doing south of here a good ways. Truck took off running near wide open about 1/2 way there!
I'd have to let truck get to a bit above speed, stomp clutch and kill engine and coast, then when too slow pop the gears and start run too fast and kill it and coast again.
It did that several times when running local gas and we never figured out why, but NEVER did it on gas 50 miles away! That was just a plain old carburated engine.

My box truck also had issues with local gas!

It got to the point that when I'd be 50 miles to the better stations in my trucks and van I would fill both tanks, when home I would dump them to 55gal barrels to use for local use in other vehicles, and fill the duel tanks again next time I was at the better stations!

To top it off, gas was horrible here all that time and cost more! I think it was normally $0.10 -$0.15 higher local, and every vehicle we had ran like crap on it!
That was back in mid-late 90's early 2000's and I think we drove the Mercury about 8 years or so and ONLY had issues when buying local gas for it.

I had a friend car dealer and I bought allot of stuff he did not want to mess with, he figured not worth money to him. So, I ran a ton of vehicles in those years and collected allot of good stuff!!
At one time my daughter looked around yard and counted up about 40 cars, trucks, vans! LOL
NONE of which ran well on local gas, but fine on the gas 50 miles away!
When she counted them they were all just parked and not used, but I ran almost all of them for awhile as I was buying them up over the years.
There was a few I bought that did not run, like I bought a RED 95 convertible did not run I had to put in a new timing belt and she ran it for a year or more when she started driving, the WHITE 95 convertible had the engine torn apart and I just parked it for parts for the RED one if needed! Was kinda cool to have the red 95 parked next to the white 95, same exact cars other than color, but I never got a blue one I was looking for!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

post #38 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
yes, Chromo, I do NOT believe the consistent numbers you report. It is just not possible. I have a spreadsheet over 4,000 miles, and 1,700 miles in the last 10 days documented to the 0.1 gallon of fuel.... no one will EVER get consistent mpg readings on each tank of fuel.

it is a physical impossibility.
My constant MPG numbers are for normal riding of all types I do!
FACT, if 3 tanks in a row I make 186+ miles and it takes 4.3gal to fill, then that is OVER 40mpg! At this time I call that close enough!
40mpg at 4.3gal is 172 miles! It does not take a genius or calculator to figure 186 miles is MORE than 172 miles!
My average fill to most that can possibly be forced into tank runs average of 4.5 gal or less, I do not like to push till empty, and my miles are 180+ at fill.
Yes that may vary on the miles allot, but I seldom run 230 miles on one tank! THAT tank took 5.4gal! 42.6MPG!!!! That was at ES one day! Wife and me, no trailer!

So if I say I get at least 40mpg average in normal riding I do, then that is 2.6mpg LESS than I got then! It averages out.
When I really go for brass tack figures like on 88 when I was playing with TCW3 oil in gas, then I do exact figures!

Now I am lazy at times now. I figure close enough often.
Close enough to me is I forced max fill of 4.7gal, I did 207 miles, 207 / 40mpg should be just over 5gal, and 4.7 is less than 5 therefore I got over 40 mpg!

Actually, 207 miles / 4.7gal is 44mpg! That is a bit higher than normal for me really, Though I have got 46mpg and 48mpg on this 95SE before also, but just not normal!

I bought this great little 95SE from TwoBigCats about April 2012, right after that deer hit my 88 March 2012.
In NORMAL riding I been getting 40+ MPG and when bought it had 32,??? miles on it, it NOW had 71,5?? miles on it!
I have done near 40K miles on this bike now since April 2012, this year was really slow for me, and I think I know my bike pretty well!
NO, I do not count pulling a heavy big fat trailer sucking air all the way to CA. or loading the 1500 parts bike and towing all that home behind this 95SE as anything to do with normal riding.
For NUT like ME that might be OK but not normal for normal people so I don't count those low MPG's while I owned this bike!
HOWEVER, since I did get 33-35mpg and even better while I did such crazy stuff, up through Barstow and Flagstaff mountains etc.. and some bad head and side winds, I still think 33MPG is horrible for NORMAL RIDING in decent conditions!

With this 95SE NORMAL riding I have never really had any MPG less than maybe 37 in winds.
BAD GAS is something else and also does NOT count!
Year I bought this I was doing 40-42mpg in CA and on way to Laughlin, NV and happy as a pig in slop! NO ISSUES!
I left Lauglin and I think it was Bull Head City across the river where I got gas, it was BAD GAS at a crap station!
Heading back to CA. I got 30mpg and almost stranded in desert! I just barely made it to a station and that was a detour out of my way a good few miles! I saw that red light and what the heck!!!

I know I made it from south of Bars-tow to Laughlin just fine on one tank with a good bit left!
WHY could I not make it from Laughlin bank to Bars-tow on 1 tank?
That was not the bike or normal riding, it was BAD GAS, so I do not sque MPG with such odd crap.

CA to NV and back, other than one tank of bad gas was all 40+ mpg and desert Interstate I was not poking along much either!
CA to N. KS was a good ride and I did not poke much other than at night, still over 40MPG.
Bad storms KS to MO no problem, ran it fine with lots of lighting and winds, HARD rains, still 40MPG

Got home and could not walk for near a month, no problem I got out and rode soon as I could walk again! LOL

MO to Iw, 40mpg, in Iowa I got 46 and 48 mpg checked close!
Way home I got back to 40MPG agian!

Went to Telico Plains TN. and got 40+MPG on way also!

Heck we want to talk about Nassir last year???
OK, I got 40+ MPG to NASSIR, some Interstate and some back roads, some was flat and some was mountains, some I rode a bit fast and some I rode kinda slow, but it still came out to over 40MPG per tank!

ONLY way to get less than 40MPG would be if some tanks get less!.
Very seldom do any tanks get any less!!!
Ya, I know all about fill a bit more this tank and a bit les next tank and a bit more next and screw up readings! BUT, if EVERY TANK gets 40MPG or better, then there was NO WAY to mess that up!!!

So, I figure my MPG for average real life riding in normal riding conditions, I exclude major storms, big trailers, excessive weight on trailers, 120mph races, or anything else that is NOT normal for a normal rider!

My MPG is a true 40mpg or better at most all NORMAL riding times, NORMAL is 40-42MPG on trips!

YES, I have also gotten 44 mpg and 46 mpg and 48 mpg, but those are NOT normal!!

I got a friend that rides speeds of a turtle, and doing all day at 40mph on flat straight roads just plain does not count as normal riding to me! I may have got 55mpg for the 200 mile day, but I just don't bother with it because it would be nuts to figure that as any normal riding!

So ya, believe it or not, I don't care, the fact is normal riding in normal weather on normal roads I do get a constant 40-42MPG!
Normal roads are 65mph to 70mph, and even some Interstates at 75mph.

Anyone talking about 80-100mph, I flat out want to know where that is LEGAL at for NORMAL riding!! I want to live there!!!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

post #39 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Why not keep a few 2 or 3 gallon fuel cans- reasonable size and weight to deal with- at home,
never worry about going the wrong direction again.
Questionable remaining fuel?? - add some!!
Add Stabil or Seafoam at 1 oz per gal fuel for its storage
You have a jug of lawn mower gas right? thats probably 87 octane....
post #40 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Traveller

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500
First, I'm only a GL1500 owner (so far).
I'm also a bit on the "fluffy" side; 5'11", 250 lbs.
My '89 GL 1500 never got very good mileage; usually 34 MPG BUT this bike was blinged out to the max. The chrome bumper wrap-around units (saddle bags, trunk, lower fairing) probably added 150# to the weight of the bike. Oh, and a Tulsa windshield. I loved that bike, but on Hwy I cruise at 75+ MPH. Slower speeds really gave me much better mileage, but when I wrecked that bike with 129K miles on it, I was loving life.
My "new" bike is a very basic '90 model (GL1500) with virtually no chrome, and I average 42 MPG. With low mileage (62K today) and much care, I look forward to many miles on this sweet ride. Thanks for the post.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.
\'90 1500 and lovin\' every mile.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page