We Are Now A 2 Bike Family. - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 PM

Year: 1985 1984
Make: Honda's 3
Model: GW Aspy & LTD, LTD 2
Dennis one thing for sure there's no shortage of parts for it , it being an Interstate and all . I'll give you a year and you'll have it up and running and shining like new

1984 Aspencade Premium Beige Metalic..... Right Wing
1985 LTD Sunflash Gold 85,530 Grace Brown...... Left Wing
A Bird can\'t fly on one wing
That\'s why I have three wings
And another 85 LTD, LTD 2 Sunflash Gold Grace Brown.... Tail Wing

With three wings I believe I can fly

AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 PM

Model: 1989 GL1500, 1982 GL1100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianinpa View Post
Have two bikes is twice the fun. Lets you ride one and wrench on the other. When you are done wrenching...SWITCH!
What that man said......................

Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer. George Santayana.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:58 AM

Now Bike will be jealous... Nice looking project bike though Dennis

Dave
Ride Safe and Ride Often, Keep the Shiny Side up and Many Happy Miles and Smiles.

In God We Trust; All Others Must pay Cash!!!

Current Goldwing 2016 Gl1800 Matte Silver

Other Rides

2007 Honda 110cc

Past Rides

2 1985 Goldwing Aspencades, 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 2006 Goldwing Navi, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1994 1500cc Goldwing Interstate, 2010 Gl1800 Trike, 1997 GL1500 SE, 2012 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM

Model: 86 aspencade
Don't forget about Bike now that you have a new baby in the family. Look at him over their in the corner....sad faced feeling left out because the new arrival is getting all the attention. Make sure you tell Bike you still love him and pat his headlight now and then, you don't want him to build any resentment toward his new sibling. Kids can be cruel and vindictive.

present bikes
69 honda z50
80 honda z50
80 honda cx500c - sold to daughter,she gave to boyfriend for christmas
86 xl600r - frame up restoration
86 gl1200 aspy - little clean-up just finished
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:14 PM

Garage
I have unstuck a few Goldwings with frozen motors.

Each one of the frozen Goldwing motor bikes that i have freed up are still running, and running great.

If you think the engine is frozen, do NOT try to start it with the starter, as you may do damage to the starter not turning and putting a big load on the starter or on the frozen engine, you could break something, rings, mainly, as the three bikes i have unfrozen have been do to rusted rings in the bottom of a cylinder or two, not sure if it is a combination of corn fuel/moisture and sitting, i think you are better off trying to get the engine freed up first.

Id put it on the center stand,
1. Make sure the rear brake is not also seized/frozen and clamping the rear disc/wheel from turning, Put into neutral and try turning the rear wheel.

2. Remove all the plugs, and drop the exhaust headers away from the heads, i shoot in some DIY Pentrating Oil, this works as good or better than any deep penetrent oil, ATF & diesel fuel mixture 50/50 this is what I use to un-freeze frozen motors that have sat for Years.
a. I put the ATF and diesel fuel mixture in the spark plug holes try to fill up the spark plug holes get as much as you can in there, and let it sit for a couple days, put a Clean catch bucket under both heads as a couple valves may be open and the liquid may run through, but save the mixture that runs through and reuse it, (If the penetrant gets dirty from chunks in the Penetrent filter through a coffee filter in a funnel, to remove the bigger pieces) pour it through the open valved cylinders every day a few times a day to wet them.

3. After a couple of days with the DIY penetrating mixture in the cylinders, Put trans into 5th gear, then try and turn the rear wheel, if you cant budge the engine, dont worry, or if you can only turn the engine over a 1/4" fairly easy that is fine, if it wont easily go any more, put the penetrent back in the spark plugs holes and wait another couple of days, patience here will pay off, then try to move the rear wheel again, keep doing this until it moves as well as bikes engine does.

If you are able to get the engine unfrozen, I would do a Engine Oil Change/ Flush, before I ran it to much, to get the old crud out, that is a 1/5 part engine oil to ATF in the engine, this will not make your trans slip, Also, since it have not been run in a while, put the Flush Mixture in at least a week before starting the engine as the Clutch plates could be dry due to OLD Bad engine oil Not wetting the clutch properly.

The flush mixture, is to remove solids as well as a lot of build up from sitting for some time, take it easy on the engine while the flush is in the engine, as you are trying to run the engine clean.

Using this method has never failed me, and i have Not had any broken rings, or other engine parts and the frozen engines have ran Great, and have good compression after I got them started with a DIY engine flush, ran for about 300-500 miles then do another engine oil and Filter change, to remove the engine flush, now it is ready to be ridden how ever you want, full throttle if you want.

I had a couple of really badly Frozen motors, and a couple that weren't to bad just mildly frozen.

Current Bikes,
1983 GL1100 72K 32DFT Single 2-bbl Progressive Carb, and Runs Excellent,
1984 GL1200A 55K Reverse Trike Project, Single 2bbl. Progressive carb
1986 GL1200 Interstate, Now Naked, She just turned 43K
1988 GL1500/6 Phantom Grey 2-bbl SCC Trike Mustang GT Rearend, Rear Disc Brakes, HD Mufflers
2005 Burgman 650 20K
07' M109R 1855 miles 130hp 120ft lb torque Reverse Trike 99' Miata front suspension
2013 Honda NC700X 4k, AVG 77.68mpg
2015 Valkyrie, 4K miles Hot rod, Excellent bike
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:41 PM

Garage
A starter refresh may be in order, I would pullit off and take it to the bench, pull the end off and check the brushes, commutator is probably Very Dirty/corroded, and the corrosion needs to be removed with a fine sand paper, and Light pressure enough to make the copper shiny and clean again if the brushes on within spec. light sand fine sandpaper on all sides including contact area with commutator, to remove corrosion, for full current.

Note there are timing marks on the starter, that need to be aligned, when going back together.

46K miles is like a New engine.

I have pulled heads off of a 80K mile 4cyl. GW engine, to replace head gaskets, None of the cylinders showed Any wear at all, and still had cross hatching in the cylinders, looked like a New engine in the cylinders.

Current Bikes,
1983 GL1100 72K 32DFT Single 2-bbl Progressive Carb, and Runs Excellent,
1984 GL1200A 55K Reverse Trike Project, Single 2bbl. Progressive carb
1986 GL1200 Interstate, Now Naked, She just turned 43K
1988 GL1500/6 Phantom Grey 2-bbl SCC Trike Mustang GT Rearend, Rear Disc Brakes, HD Mufflers
2005 Burgman 650 20K
07' M109R 1855 miles 130hp 120ft lb torque Reverse Trike 99' Miata front suspension
2013 Honda NC700X 4k, AVG 77.68mpg
2015 Valkyrie, 4K miles Hot rod, Excellent bike
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
OK, two PGs, but the wiring cut up at the plug, and spark wires are reversed, so something in there was causing the PO some grief.

Note the bent shifter and dinged chrome. Looks like it took a tumble against something solid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85-PG.jpg (322.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 85-left.jpg (362.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 85-right.jpg (363.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 85-shift-ding.jpg (355.3 KB, 18 views)

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 PM

Year: 1985 1984
Make: Honda's 3
Model: GW Aspy & LTD, LTD 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
OK, two PGs, but the wiring cut up at the plug, and spark wires are reversed, so something in there was causing the PO some grief.

Note the bent shifter and dinged chrome. Looks like it took a tumble against something solid.
Thanks for posting that first picture . That's what I will be up against this weekend as I delve into my LTD. I will atempt to adopt the carb'd PGs into the LTD which only takes one

1984 Aspencade Premium Beige Metalic..... Right Wing
1985 LTD Sunflash Gold 85,530 Grace Brown...... Left Wing
A Bird can\'t fly on one wing
That\'s why I have three wings
And another 85 LTD, LTD 2 Sunflash Gold Grace Brown.... Tail Wing

With three wings I believe I can fly

AL
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
OK, an update...and a question.
The rear tire holds air. The valve on the front has rotted and broken off. The valves look original. Front tire is dated 04. Couldn't find the date on the rear. Didn't look too hard.

Pulled the plugs. Right side filled with some oily "gas-ish" substance. Left not as bad but...

The motor turns freely by hand but only a half a turn of the cam sprocket. Is that a quarter turn of the motor? Anyway, there seems to be something stopping it, in both directions. What could that be?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Bent valves will do that

Perhaps a stuck ring???????

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page