1Likes
  • 1 Post By CrystalPistol

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: GL1500
Model: Aspencade
Almost lost it!

Had the Wing out to run down to the autoparts store and was driving down a city street with a 35 MPH limit. I live in a city that is on the Missouri River and there are many boats in town. Many times, the boat owners will take out their drain plug as they drive home and you will see a streak of water in the middle of the road.

I saw this very same thing and thought nothing of it. As I was driving around the 'S' curve here in town, I drifted over into the 'water'. Suddenly the bike slid violently to the right as I was turning left into the curve. The skid stopped once I got out of the slick and I had to use my left leg to catch my balance. OUCH! I recovered but hit the slick again as the curve turned to the right and repeated the process over again. Thankfully I kept her upright but my heart sure worked double time.

I followed the trail of wet and about 10 blocks down the road, it turned into a fast food parking lot where I found an old mid 70's Chevy LUV pickup that someone was driving. Underneath was a large puddle of oil and the owner was looking at it.

Ends up he rebuilt the truck and motor and didn't use a gasket on the oil plug. It came loose and dump its content while he was driving down the road. I discovered that what I thought was water was 10-30W oil. And boy was it slick. Thankfully I didn't hurt the Wing and my sore leg is feeling better. However, I learned my lesson and will always steer clear of any fluids when ever possible.

Dave in Pierre, SD

Last edited by dvoeltz; 09-30-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:51 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Well that is never a good feeling. Sounds like you pulled it off with just a few sore muscles and a rapid heart beat.

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 PM

Year: 94
Model: GL1500SE
I'm all ways leery of any dark spots on the road surface especially if it is a long trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 PM

Model: 96 GL1500SE
Garage
I've never done a skid on the road, but had a similar experience parking in a spot at an auto parts store.
I guess they don't worry about the oil leaks in the middle of the spaces.
I learned my lesson there and will definitely watch out for streaks in the road after reading about yours.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 AM

When I was 16 I dumped my Honda 80cc scooter on a patch of diesel, as I passed by the city bus maintenance building.

That got my attention!

I'm glad you're okay from what was otherwise a certain spill.

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have at times had the front tire slide out sideways just as I pulled up to an auto-parts store...

just took once to remind me to stay away from the oil pan area at those places.

~ John

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:12 AM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Back in Summer 1996 a buddy and I went for a few days ride to Mid Ohio for AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, I was in lead on the 1200, he behind on his FLHTC ..... over on Rt 60 in West Virginia near Rupert or Rainelle as I recall. Roadway ran in a right hander which straightened and then went into a left hander. It seems there a slight rise there.

I slowed (maybe 40) as we enter the first right hand turn. I straighten up to set up for left and as I do so ..... here comes a flat bed wood truck around that next curve which is a left to us .... and as he is maybe mid curve ..... I see something white slide off the bed and land in the roadway in my lane in the curve .... it's a big plastic jug of OIL (looked like a 2.5 gallon jug like Rotella comes in) .... and it busted and splattered all over the right lane .... and there's still this truck in the oncoming lane .... and no other lanes .... and this is right there in front of me ..... too close for me to stop.

All I could see to do was tighten my line towards the center line in a snap and then just before entering the oil .... stand the bike up straight and ride straight through hoping I had enough room and traction left afterwards to finish my turn to stay on the roadway. I felt the rear wiggled a hair as I exited the oil splash, I was concentrating on staying off brakes and feeling the front for slip as I gently leaned to finish my turn .... ending up all the way over on the far right hand edge of US Rt 60 almost in the dirt .... whew!
I looked in the mirror only then to see my buddy looked stopped .... but he was just "tip toeing" through the oil in a coast .... and when I saw he was actually moving I continued to the very next place for coffee. He told me over coffee that he was amazed I didn't go down .... he too had seen that jug come off the bed and just had more distance to brake.
bladder likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page