LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:15 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Guy View Post
Well road rage from either party is not good. Trust me I have had my share of idiots cut me off, tail gate and slam on the brakes in front of me. Thank God those idiots are just a small number of drivers on the road. Don't know if I would throw rocks. That makes you the aggressor. Just pull away from the situation ( pull over if you have to) take a deep breath, say all the 4 letter words you know. Then know that you are a better person for not lowering yourself to their level.

Or get their license plate number and post it here. When we see them will will beat the s#*t out of them for you...😏
yes! AND YES!

life is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM

Year: 2013
Make: GL1800
Model: 2013 Navi Comfort
Garage
Ball bearings work well also. Just saying. Dropped casually on the road they bounce up and...

Cars a safe distance back don't get anything. Those riding your ass get a headlight or radiator and if real close a windshield. Steel ball bearings bounce nicely on asphalt and concrete both. Last resort though.

Slow down, move over, let the idiot pass.

2013 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
2014 Harbor Freight Tag-a-Long
Currently stuck in Las Vegas, Nevada

Previous bikes (in reverse order) include:
Harley 883 Sportster
Honda GL1100 Interstate
Honda 750A Hondamatic (second best bike I ever owned)
Honda CB450
Kawasaki 900 Z1
Suzuki GT380
Honda MT125
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
rocks 1 or ball bearings 1. pull over calm down , is winning !

life is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
One time when I did get off the next exit and call 911, operator said Truckers had already called the offending cager in!
Saw a bike getting bullied and were ready to take their own action if needed!
She asked me to relax for a few minutes, said she was glad I was smart enough to get off the road and survive, not be a hit and run fatality call!!!!

The same person who drives badly often lack the requisite drivers license AND/or INSURANCE
They are not stopping for anything!!!! Thats why they drive like they dont care- because they dont!!

Once I made it past age 50, I gotst'd a little more smartzer and try logic based solutions and actions now
Lived this long = may as well stay a few more days
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: Gl se
Not to take this sideways- BUT, be careful around big trucks. Make sure you are where you can see the driver in his mirror OR- you are 200 ft in front. Remember that they try to maintain a constant speed but will roll a little faster down a hill to make up for what they lost going up. Stay away from riding beside a truck other than passing. Anyone who has seen a truck tire fragment knows that you don't want to be part of it.
Please don't make trucks pass you- especially not repeatedly.
All truckers are not the same. Some have ridden bikes and will look out for you. Others may not have grown up here and the last thing on their mind is looking out for you.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
Not to take this sideways- BUT, be careful around big trucks. Make sure you are where you can see the driver in his mirror OR- you are 200 ft in front. Remember that they try to maintain a constant speed but will roll a little faster down a hill to make up for what they lost going up. Stay away from riding beside a truck other than passing. Anyone who has seen a truck tire fragment knows that you don't want to be part of it.
Please don't make trucks pass you- especially not repeatedly.
All truckers are not the same. Some have ridden bikes and will look out for you. Others may not have grown up here and the last thing on their mind is looking out for you.

Very good advice, and one I practice a lot.

I make it a point to get out where they can see me in their mirrors no matter which side of the truck that I am on.

Just this past Monday, I was following an 18 wheeler who needed to get out of a merge lane and of course, the idiots in the other lane refused to back off and allow him space to get merged over.

I made it a point to get even with his rear bumper in the main traffic lane and then I started slowing down just a bit at a time until the 18 wheeler had ample room to move over into "my" clear lane.

I waved at him to let him know that he could come over to my lane..... he much appreciated the gesture with the trucker's blinking stop light flashing back at me.

none of us were going anywhere fast, all traffic was funneled into just the one lane for construction purposes...

what does it matter, if you are 80 feet in front, or 80 feet behind a vehicle?

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
We all have close calls. Remember it is just as frustrating for cagers dealing with other cagers. Personally I always stay left anywhere a ramp is discarding and introducing obstacles. I tend to stay left as to eliminate 50% of the cars turning into my lane. I also protect my safety gap by speeding up and preventing a cager from cutting me off. They get poed when a simple twist of the throttle prevents them from sneaking into that safety gap. Many give me the finger. They try to cut me off while traveling at 80 mph and get mad when they cant. Wings have large side view mirrors the size of cars so seeing them coming is quite easy. I am seeing more and more NJ and NY style drivers in NH. Being prepared for their antics is better than giving reason for them to run you off the road. I often think of glass marbles that shatter leaving no evidence. I won't because their cars will still be mobile allowing them to cause me great harm. Worse yet, my innocent wife could get hurt or worse. I had considered mothballing my 1800 for the season because of the idiots on route 16 in the morning. Not pleasurable! As for trucks, I have been next to one in my car when a tire cap blew off. It would have killed me on a bike. Stay away! The instability created by their wind buffeting gives reason to avoid them at all costs. Anticipating scenarios and being aware of escape routes is as many know the secret to surviving on today's cluttered roads. Be safe.

Last edited by Peppi-Le-Pew; 10-05-2015 at 04:46 AM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Year: 1983
Model: GL1100
Dash cams do come in handy sometimes...
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 01:05 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Something to consider (as Aloha Tom has mentioned many times) is a defensive driving course. You may think " I am a safe rider" but the things they teach you can truly save you from a bad situation. The cost for these courses in minimal ( sometimes free) and I guarantee you will be shown things you never thought of.

In keeping with the threads above, if you cannot see the driver in his mirrors, he cannot see you.

Ride safe and ride smart!

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 04:50 AM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
Dash cams do come in handy sometimes...
Once badly hurt or dead it is all over but the crying. I will be installing one for next years riding season. It will get much use on NH route 16. Animals!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page