Never Again buy from MotorTrike or 234 Motorsports - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Never Again buy from MotorTrike or 234 Motorsports

Motor Trike, Inc.

I have determined I need to share my experiences with others so perhaps they may reconsider buying any products from Motor Trike Inc. and 2-3-4 Motorsports. 907 S. Eagle Valley Rd , Wingate, PA 16823, owner Doug Miles, which is the dealer I paid and dealt with here in PA.

The short version is, I converted my 2008 HD SE Ultra Classic to a trike, 234 Motorsports picked up my bike end of March 2015 delivered it back on July 6, 2015. Within 1 mile on my initial ride the bike broke down and was eventually towed to Erie Harley-Davidson to figure out what had happen. Like I said short version as most of the information you won't believe , but it's true, and I have pictures to prove it.

The first issue we found was the clutch was put back together by 234 Motorsport with, hold on, flat washers and super glue. The reason being was that Motor Trike Inc. supplied the dealer the wrong clutch rod in the kit. Basically it was a 1/2 inch short, and the dealer used flat washers like you would find at a hardware store to shim the slave cylinder , in the Master cylinder a washer had been also super glued to the plunger which eliminated the free play.

Then I take the bike out for a test drive, only to find out I only have a right turn signal working and a brake light on the hand side not on the foot brake. It appears that 234 Motorsports had attached the wiring in the rear fenders on the wall with "Duck Tape" thus the wires fell down, rubbed against the tire and were cut thus no rear lights.

I paid over $20,000 to 234 Motorsports to build my bike, but I then had to pay the Erie Harley- Davidson Dealer and others approximately $3,000 to find and fix problems that were not there fault, during their busy summer season. As of Oct 3, 2015 the bike is finally safe to ride and I will be heading to Daytona Beach. My bike and pictures of all I have described will be in front of the Motor Trike Inc. display in October and again in March at Bike Week 2016 for all to see.

Based on Motor Trike Inc. customer service dept representative, Richard, I was to take the bike to the Harley Dealer, they have not offer a penny in covering my costs and nether has 234 Motorsports , because somehow it's my fault they used super glue, flat washers and duck tape to assemble my bike.

So the 2015 Motorcycle ridding season was a lost one for me here in Erie, PA

Thanks for reading
George Harrington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:27 PM

I fail to see how all this is MotorTrikes fault. Looks like to me your dealer is the one that screwed everything up and didn't have a clue what he was doing.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Well ..... in 234's defense ..... much of what holds any HD I have been into "together" looks to be from a hardware store. I've even been known to shop at hardware stores for fasteners.

As to the screw ups ..... did the OP talk to the 234 chaps and offer them a chance to "make him happy"? I mean .... really "make him happy" after keeping the bike so long and then returning it untested in that shabby shape.

I agree, not necessarily MT's fault ..... unless they've gotten complaints on 234 chaps .... and continue to use 234 chaps as a factory authorized installer .... IMHO.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:03 PM
Trike Master

Model: 06 levelIII/Hannigan
Wonder why it took from March to July for it to be "done"? Should not take more than a few days to complete a conversion.
As to comment of not MT's fault. The business that did the conversion is, I'm assuming, an authorized MT dealer. That makes MT partially responsible + suppling a wrong part. Seems installer had more than enough time to get the correct part, taking 5 months to do the conversion. When found, the wrong part should have been replaced w/over night delivery!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM

Year: 2004
Make: Honda
Model: GL18C4
Just goes to show everyone that quality is not a highly regarded term with 99.9 percent of any business now a days.

2004 GL1800 Candy Red
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Motor Trike fault is , wrong part, Tech dept allowing me to go to Non dealers due to logistics, when they had no intention of paying any claim, 200 miles away was 234, failure to help solve problems with lack of Tech Department support, ie, tell us what the correct length of the clutch rod should have been. I called after 2 weeks of emails and phone calls being ignored to finely get the owner on the phone to solve the problem and get the right rod sent to us

It took so long the dealer claimed because Motor Trike waited to have enough units to ship and get the freight discount

Last edited by Georgehjr; 10-03-2015 at 08:43 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Trike Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgehjr View Post
Motor Trike fault is , wrong part, Tech dept allowing me to go to Non dealers due to logistics, when they had no intention of paying any claim, 200 miles away was 234, failure to help solve problems with lack of Tech Department support, ie, tell us what the correct length of the clutch rod should have been. I called after 2 weeks of emails and phone calls being ignored to finely get the owner on the phone to solve the problem and get the right rod sent to us
Lesson learned here. MT should have been asked to make the arrangement w/the HD dealer and accepted responsibility for the bill. When this was done, then you take your trike there!

It took so long the dealer claimed because Motor Trike waited to have enough units to ship and get the freight discount
Total lie, IMHO, if true why didn't the shop wait to have you bring your bike in until they got your kit and inspected it to make sure all was well!!!!
I'd be contacting my lawyer for a letter, to start with, to be sent to MT and to the installer to be compensated for loss of service of the bike/trike and cost of repair. I mean a substanial amout here, not a few dollars.
I would like to know what accessories you got that would make the price be over $20K??????
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 01:35 AM

Model: 2010 GL 1800
3 months? Did you raise any concern after a week? I think a trade in on a Triglide would have been a better move. You must have lotsa moolah.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:35 AM
Trike Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by last child View Post
3 months? Did you raise any concern after a week? I think a trade in on a Triglide would have been a better move. You must have lotsa moolah.
Triglide, while a factory trike, is a short wheel base, narrow, straight axle trike.
IRS,extended wheel base, wide stance conversions give a much smoother ride.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 07:04 AM

Year: 2012 r1200rt / 2012 dl650
Make: BMW / Suzuki
Model: None
I'll be in Daytona for October bike fest , I think I will go by their display , be interesting to see .

I do feel MT is responsible. they have an obligation for the safety of their product , and that it meets standards once on the road , in such they are responsible for the quality and integrity of their installers . in this case 234.

sorry for your problems , hope it works for you from here on

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory
Why spend life in a cage when you can spend it behind bars?...Handlebars, that is.

Never give the devil a ride--He will always want to drive
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page