Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm getting lazy, ...or smarter?

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  CaptainMidnight85 
#1 ·
I've given-in, ..sort of.
These winters here are hard on me. I don't like them.
So, I've decided to try and enjoy them better, ..somehow.
I'm going 4-wheels for the bulk of the winter months versus the whole winter on two-wheels alone.
I figure options are good.

I'm doing some maintenance and giving it a general going-over before it gets too cold. Already, we're down into the 20's at night.
We can't do sleds on the street here, but we can do these 4-wheelers all year long, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
We can't do sleds on the street here, but we can do these 4-wheelers all year long, so I'm gonna give it a try.
I'd check with you DMV before doing it.
Just because it's being done doesn't mean that if you're in a motor vehicle insistent that you wouldn't be up the creek without a paddle.

#5 ·
I'm going to put a clip-on windshield on it.
I've the front fender off for easy maintenance access. I'm going over the whole thing, as I've only had it for a couple weeks and haven't really had time to do anything but look at it.
Ken, I'm kinda tired of riding the 'Wing in sub-freezing temps and having to pay a lot of attention to traction and idiots. I don't so much mind layering-up for a ride, but crazy cager's seeing me ride well below freezing on cruddy roads makes them act even crazier.
This thing has to be a better idea..

Edit: The front fender is on the floor next to the white fan. I think I'm going to put '77 'Wing handlebars on it, as they are a fair bit taller and wider than what's on it. Should make for a better riding position on the street.

#7 ·
DMV don't have say-so like you think here. We get our vehicle license plates issued through county administration. The DMV handles licensure of the individual, not the vehicle. They may keep track of things, but that's about it.
Insurance is insurance. My vehicle insurer loves me.
Plenty of ATV's on the street here. Lots of them. Nothing unusual here. They need DOT approved tires and proper lighting like anything else. Old Fella's around here sport some high-dollar ATV's on the street here. Definitely a one-upsmanship thing going on with them fellas here.
Can-Am and Polaris rank the best street cred with these things here. My Chinese 4X4 ATV won't get a second look in comparison, even though it's new.

Here in SD, we don't have those absurd problems with vehicles like most other states.

Edit: Lots of farming out here. Get outside of town, especially on the dirt/gravel roads, sleds are used in the wintertime. Many of the smaller towns well outside of Sioux Falls look the other way respective of sled riders heading to work and such. In-town here in Sioux Falls, they don't tolerate sleds on the street. Overall here, "be responsible in doing what you do" seems to be the creed as I've seen it. Ride a motorcycle on snow covered roads, you should know what you're doing and be ready to pay the price of an accident should it happen. I'm feeling that my time is up on that issue, hence my choice in switching to something with 4 wheels without a cage. I'm not alone. I've no doubt that at least some of those 4-wheelers I've seen in my wintertime riding had their riders thinking, "better him than me, cause I ain't doing it no more".
Riding a motorcycle in single digit temperature on cold hard roads (let alone with ice and snow) is truly not for the inexperienced or meek of heart.
I'm thinking meekly as winter approaches.
I'm cool with that.

Reactions: Hodgy
#16 ·
#9 ·
I've never ridden a snowmobile. I keep looking at a twin-track sled that is for sale. A 1974-ish oddity. Seems cool to me.
I've a partner with a shop. He services those that race those ice bikes. Just looking at those tires strikes fear into most...

#10 ·
Ice bikes! My favorite winter racing sport!

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I bought a '05 VW Touareg and the owner through the ATV in as part of the deal. The 4-wheeler has 115 miles on it.
I've no complaints.

#15 ·
I'm sure it will. It's in the body shop. I got a good deal on it due to a deer..
It's a V-6 model.

#18 ·
With this ATV that I have, the opportunity presented itself, so now I have a Chinese-made 4-wheeler that is based (in some part) on technologies adopted(? - or stolen) from Honda products, ...so I've read of the particular Brand that it is; Kazuma.

Here is a more localized article from my neighborhood.

Truthfully, not many days go by that I don't see 4-wheelers on the street. I would have to think of days that I haven't noticed them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.