1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2000
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: Aspencade
21st Century Goldwing

I would like to know who the hell is running the development of the Goldwing? Because other than new colors, nothing really new has happened since 2001! I feel that the Wing needs the following updates; six (6) speed tranny, 2000 cc engine, electric windshield, WIFI, Passenger headrest to cut the buffering, and ABS standard. Tell me what you guys and gals think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I would like to see ABS as standard, not sure what we would use WiFi for on a Goldwing once it is rolling down the road.

You don't want to be holding a cellphone while riding anyway.

The six speed transmission I do not believe will ever happen, but it sure would help on fuel economy.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:11 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I agree mostly but why a 6 speed, they have plenty of torque and 1st is already too low so why not simply up the final drive ratio. And what would you use wifi for?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
ABS - absolutely, should be standard
Electric windshield - yes, IF it has enough travel to be effective
WiFi - nah
2000cc - why? need a performance bike...buy a performance bike (a.k.a. Sport Tourer)
6 speeds - maybe. Seems unlikely a 6th gear would help mpg though, could be wrong.
Pass headrest - no opinion

Just my $.02

Dan & Jo Ann

The journey IS the destination .
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Agree with all but not sure about wifi. For awhile the HD Ultra Classic crowd were saying the same thing. After rushmore bikes came out they seem fairly happy. I can understand Honda wanting to be shrewd with there development money. But agree they are falling a bit too far behind. ABS should be standard and electric windshields are awesome.

"riding is good therapy"

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Year: 2013
Model: Level 2
Don't have ABS and I have done enough panic stops on both the 1500 and 1800 that I thought for sure would involve the brake(s) locking up and no issues at all. One was last night when the lane disappeared rather quickly(3 to 2) and I had to slow my speed down rather quickly. Brakes did their job and I was able to keep it upright. I know the other motorcyclist probably wondered where I came from as I went by. I see no reason for bigger engine-I like the power and mpg I get with this one. I would like 5th gear to be a better ratio for highway driving though. It would be nice to have more leds as stock-less electrical draw and more of unique(futuristic)look to it.

Flogler

2013 1800 Goldwing currently heading to 97k miles. New front tire-Trying Elite 4
New rear tire -trying elite 4(first one went 3k before nail took it out and destroyed tire)
1996 1500 Aspencade 225000 miles (Sold for 2000$)
Back from Sturgis trip 5300 miles and 9 days later(2016).
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500SE
I'd love to see an Interstate. Get rid of the sound system, GPS, cruise control, onboard compressor and ABS. Go to preload rear shocks with a simple mechanical adjustment. Lose 100+ pounds. If I had the skills, I'd strip all of that off my 1500.

\'99 SE
Previously: \'86 Nighthawk, \'86 Interstate, \'05 Concours
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The one thing I would REALLY like to see, is a LOT of LED lights on the front like they are putting on cars now.

Maybe outline the fairing? have them all pointed forward so that any oncoming vehicle would see that 'V' shape and know THAT is a Goldwing!!!!

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarrato View Post
I would like to know who the hell is running the development of the Goldwing? Because other than new colors, nothing really new has happened since 2001! I feel that the Wing needs the following updates; six (6) speed tranny, 2000 cc engine, electric windshield, WIFI, Passenger headrest to cut the buffering, and ABS standard. Tell me what you guys and gals think.
Amen to that!!!!

2001 goldwing black!!! once black, never go back!!!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 04:02 PM

Model: 96 SE
While all the tech stuff is great, I feel it should stay to a minimum. Afterall, we go ride to "get away from it all", don't we?
Electric windshield add weight, cost and requires more space for the motors. I'm fine with "adjust and forget". Don't really see it as being necessary to enjoy the ride.

More power by more displacement has the same effect. While more power is always welcome, I feel a 3 valve set-up with the current 1800cc would be ideal. A single cam could still be used to limit cylinder head size and weight increases that a DOHC 4 valve would bring, while still increasing available power should it be needed/wanted.

It would be nice if they spent the extra $50-100 and just made the suspension great from the get go instead of making it virtually necessary to spend over $500 to make it right after the fact.

Stylish LED's would be a nice addition, but don't cheap out and make the alternator less capable because of the decreased load. Maintain the alternators current capability.

Taller final gear ratio would be nice for fuel economy reason. And yes, it would help. Most likely it would not be measurable due to the amount of varied driving we do while emptying the fuel tank. Which brings a story to mind as proof. On a car I still have, and was used as the family car for quite some time, I changed the tire size because the speedo was reading a chunk faster than actual. I had new wheels and using the "plus 1"sizing method I should have went from a 205/65/15 to a 215/55/16. So to alter the speed "down" to correct speed I went with a 215/60/16. This car made many trips to my parents 400 miles away prior to this change. I had the opportunity to check mileage markers over a long distance to see how far off it was. I also had 2 stations I filled up at every time. One leaving KC and the other in Walcott, IA. By the time I got to Walcott I was getting close to fumes....everytime. After the tire change I would end up somewhere between 1/8-1/4 tank. This is only due to the lower rpms required to move the exact same distance on the same roads. Measuring mileage mathematically cannot "see" this change because the recorded mileage by the car cannot see the tire change. However, same point A to point B destinations proved less fuel was used over the same stretch of road time after time afterwards.
And I also got the mile markers spot on with the larger diameter. Over 140 miles, it only deviated between 1-2 tenths of a mile.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page