LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
jlaframboise,

8 inch hub bearings that get hot, are the result of improper cleaning and packing with a good bearing grease.

I pulled my tag-along 4500 miles in a 30 day period and a lot of it at 75-80 mph.
I carry an IR Temp gun and shoot the hub temps just as I come to a stop.

The 8" wheels usually are about 150
The front wheel hub on the bike is ~125
The rear hub is about 134

a new Harley Classic pulled to a fuel stop with me once.
I took temperature readings on his front and rear wheels.
there was not 5 difference between his bike, and my bike.

So, those little 8" wheel running about 15 hotter than the bike's front wheel?
I doubt they will ever give any problem....

it is not the size of the wheels, it is poor maintenance.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2004
Model: , 1982 GL1100 Standard, 2004 GL 1800
Think I will visit my HF store and get a trailer coming. I don't mind the mods as long as they work. Bearing Buddies are generally meant for trailers that are put in the water, boat trailers etc. They won't force much grease into the bearings but put a barrier of sorts to keep moisture at bay. You would be better served to make sure your rear seal is in good shape and you have quality grease and bearings installed along with the correct adjustment.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:04 PM

Model: 2000 Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
The Harbor Freight trailers are shipped out with the tongue cut too short and the spare mounted behind the axle.... dumb shiites.

they want to fishtail pretty bad above about 55 mph...

I had to lengthen mine to stop that, I also had to move the spare tire from under the rear ( dumb dumb place to put extra weight ) to the tongue, so that it Adds Weight, not subtracts weight.

In this picture, the tire is shown half exposed.... after pulling it 1500 miles, it was obvious that still did NOT put enough weight on the tongue, it was moved forward 14 inches so it is about 4 inches behind the hitch now.

that solved the Fishtail problem, I can now pull it as fast as I want to go, and it does not Fishtail.

And a BIG PLUS to moving the tire forward - now the hitch will never touch the ground and mangle up the light wiring....

That all depends on your situation. On my Aspen camper, I have the spare tire mounted on the back. This gives me more options on backing the trailer. If I pack the tire inside, it eats up room. If I mount it on the to tongue, I will WAY to much tongue weight.

Carl

Honorary Rhino

NASSIR 6 - NASSIR 7
NASR 10 - NASR 11
NASR 12 Host in Galena

old bikes:
71FX Super Glide
86 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:57 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider 2 View Post
I have heard that if broke down bearings and seals are very hard to find for the harbor freight trailer.
That's true, I found out the hard way. I pulled mine about 4,000 miles then it sat a couple years and the bearings got water in them and rusted. My fault, I should have pulled the hubs and repacked them long ago. I couldn't find them locally, had to get them off amazon.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2004
Model: , 1982 GL1100 Standard, 2004 GL 1800
Got the little trailer today, will start upgrade soon. Gonna put some carpet inside and probably change the lights etc. Does anyone see the need for a swivel tongue hitch? Will look at bearings and such tomorrow. We have a good trailer store here in LR. I had to go to them for some bearings for my Champion trailer. Wish me luck!
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 06:16 PM

Year: 2003, 1993 and 2004
Make: Yamaha, and two Hondas
Model: 1993 Aspencade and a 2004 1800 Roadsmith Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Got the little trailer today, will start upgrade soon. Gonna put some carpet inside and probably change the lights etc. Does anyone see the need for a swivel tongue hitch? Will look at bearings and such tomorrow. We have a good trailer store here in LR. I had to go to them for some bearings for my Champion trailer. Wish me luck!
From what I've read, the bearings that come with the trailer are useable but they will need some quality grease.

Knob
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 07:07 PM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Think I will visit my HF store and get a trailer coming.
This is a very good time to do it. They have a coupon for 25% off this weekend.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
jlaframboise,

8 inch hub bearings that get hot, are the result of improper cleaning and packing with a good bearing grease.

I pulled my tag-along 4500 miles in a 30 day period and a lot of it at 75-80 mph.
I carry an IR Temp gun and shoot the hub temps just as I come to a stop.

The 8" wheels usually are about 150
The front wheel hub on the bike is ~125
The rear hub is about 134

a new Harley Classic pulled to a fuel stop with me once.
I took temperature readings on his front and rear wheels.
there was not 5 difference between his bike, and my bike.

So, those little 8" wheel running about 15 hotter than the bike's front wheel?
I doubt they will ever give any problem....

it is not the size of the wheels, it is poor maintenance.

My point exactly. The trailer we're talking about comes with the hubs already on the axle. They were put on so tight, they didn't want to spin at all. I took them apart and found that they had been assembled with with what looked like Vaseline. I cleaned and repacked with high temp bearing grease then tightened them until the nut stopped, then backed it up until the notch in the nut lined up with the hole in the spindle so the pin will go in. If the wheel spins free and there is no play, you are good to go. I have never used bearing buddies or the grease zerks for that matter. I like packing the bearings by hand. That way I can see that the grease is all the way into the bearing and not just on the outside.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I can't fault a swivel hitch, but I don't see a real need for one. Unless you plan on pulling your trailer upside down

~ John

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM

There is no need for a swivel hitch. I've been on some major twisties and had no problems what-so-ever. There were a few times I had to pull around from one side of an island at a gas station to the other. That's about as tight a turn as you're gonna get and the trailer just followed along. If you still have doubts, you may want to look into a ball with a longer neck, it's a lot cheaper. There is an argument out there that says the swivel hitch will keep you from tipping over if your trailer hits a pothole. I don't think this has happened in the history of mankind. If it gives you peace of mind though, then the price may be worth it. One benefit of a swivel hitch is that it would add to the length of the tongue if you feel you need it. Mine tracked just fine at both 80 mph straightaways and tight u-turns.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page