LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I try to erase that page on my GPS, I don't need the reminder about "max speed"

I ride alone mostly, and on really long trips, I take the fastest way possible and that is the Interstates, and there, I fall in behind the fastest thing moving and use that one as a Moving Radar Detector

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:40 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Don't know if there's any truth to it but I have heard the cops can look at your GPS and give you a ticket from that if they have stopped you for some other violation.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Don't know if there's any truth to it but I have heard the cops can look at your GPS and give you a ticket from that if they have stopped you for some other violation.

That would be pretty hard with mine, I had it turned on in airplane one time, it shows a max speed of 453 MPH. I don't think that ticket would stick.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:13 PM

Year: 2014
Model: Gl1800 Level 1 Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
That would be pretty hard with mine, I had it turned on in airplane one time, it shows a max speed of 453 MPH. I don't think that ticket would stick.

Just think of how much bragging you could do if you did get the ticket!
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:28 PM

Garage
The chances any LEO would look at your GPS to get that kind of info, is slim to zero.

He would have to know how to operate it, and he would have to have a warrant to do so... unless you just up and volunteered to show it to him.

dunno about you, but I won't.

~ John

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:38 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
The GL1800 will hit 110-115 in 4th gear, done that
I know the 1800 will do 100 in third gear. Only time I ever had it up that fast (and the last time). I was in Oregon, Going up a hill and passing a Tractor Trailer. I didn't realize I was in third, I just knew the engine sounds pretty cool at that RPM.....

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Garage
Yes, I have had mine up to a pretty good clip in 3rd gear on our local county roads. We go 1 mile and a stop sign, go a mile and a stop sign...... I get pretty tired of that, and romp on the throttle pretty hard some times and just let it wrap out all the way in the first 3 gears.... gotta get some saddle therapy in somehow in 5,280 feet

~ John

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 AM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
NO ..... because there is no certification nor chain of custody, no indication of when nor where nor whom was driving, nor is there any indication of what vehicle that GPS was in when it recorded that reading.

Reminds me though ..... back when GPSes first started getting popular but still "new" to people ..... I stopped one guy for running well over using may radar and he swore "no way" ...... and insisted on showing me his history even though I told him it made no difference to me ...... but he punched the screen and there it was "maximum speed 117 mph" ...... and I noticed that his trip was reset less than mile before the stop which told me he reset it while I was overtaking him.
He meant to reset max speed reading before I stopped him ..... and I guess he was sure he did ..... and if he had, it would have shown his whole trip but a much lower max speed ..... (which is why it means nothing). There were many others in the early times of consumer GPS devices that wanted to use it to "prove" something that wasn't .... but that one stands out. He was so adamant and in front of his wife and kids (but I expect they knew their daddy was a liar before that stop).

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Friend of Bill W.

Model: 1800A
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by circlepilot View Post
Thanks for the replies...BTW My cousin sold the Wing a few months ago and now rides a Silver Wing. and he loves it.
Norm
I ride a Silverwing and it gets the most miles out of me than any other motorcycle I own. I have always said, that I have my last motorcycle already, but I never said it was the last motorcycle I would buy.

My Silverwing is a keeper. I had it at 107 in South Dakota, but that was by the speedometer on the bike and we all know that it lies. It could of been 115.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I ride a Silverwing and it gets the most miles out of me than any other motorcycle I own. I have always said, that I have my last motorcycle already, but I never said it was the last motorcycle I would buy.

My Silverwing is a keeper. I had it at 107 in South Dakota, but that was by the speedometer on the bike and we all know that it lies. It could of been 115.
, yup, they lie alrighta, but I kind of think it is 'tuther way Larry

on my '02 if the GPS claims I am doing 60 the speedometer gladly informs me that I am making 65

Our car is almost as bad, that is why when driving in congested areas with a lot of School Zones, I keep the GPS on the big page that only shows the current speed. Our local city cops have got to earn their pay, and just love to write out Safety Awards

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page