Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I ride w/o a helmet, around the house and the shop, but not past the gate to the street.

I run all over my little 6 acre patch w/o a helmet....

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Friend of Bill W.

Model: 1800A
Garage
I will just say this: A large percentage of all accidents are caused by fatigue. Motorcycle rider fatigue is even more serious. I would rather avoid an accident than dress for one.

I would rather stay out of a gun fight than wear a bullet proof vest into one.

See, all of the scare stories didn't change my stance.

I just wish that the motorcycle community would stand with CHOICE. No one will ever take your choice to wear one away from you.

Oh, and I do wear one. I wear as much helmet as I can comfortably wear, even in the states that give me that choice. But on a 90 degree day in Montana, I am riding helmet free and dodging the cagers.
Peter Goldwing likes this.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #113 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:19 AM

Garage
I wear a helmet because I can't stand the sun in my eyes, or the wind in my ears.

So smoke on that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 AM

Model: 2002 GL1800.....yellow, the fastest color!
Cousin Jack.....good write up and glad to hear you not only both made it through, but have enjoyed so many things since.
It was a pretty convincing note.
Cousin Jack likes this.
post #115 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Well, I kind of trying a bit more to comply with wearing one. But only if it doesn't make me uncomfortable. My decision was to always wear one on the wing. Then 2 years ago I rode from NJ to FL in late fall. It was very hot. After 2 hrs I said: who am I kidding and removed the darn thing. Probably I have 1% chance to get into motorcycle accident so I wear my helmet 1%of the time lol
post #116 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:19 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Heat? I think research has shown that the head stays cooler in the helmet, protected from the sun.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #117 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:26 AM
Forum Diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Heat? I think research has shown that the head stays cooler in the helmet, protected from the sun.
Try this test...... sit three feet in front of your wife's hair dryer, set on high for as long as you can. Sit there first without a helmet..... later, put on your helmet and sit there. Which can you stand longer? Which do you prefer?

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #118 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
When its really hot out = 80+F, I go for the full face to keep that searing wind blast effect to a minimum.
Its not so bad on the Wing with the giant wind buffer, will perform testing this summer

I do notice a mesh jacket works better when zipped up! Forces air thru the vent holes vs blowing quickly thru the open front. Some weird science at work~
post #119 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Garage
In Phoenix working at the Fire Department, our 911 IT staff was at the headquarters on 11th St and Jefferson, you could throw a baseball at the ball stadium

The temps in the summer were typically 110° plus for many weeks in a row.
I would suit up with my ATGATT minus helmet, walk into the shower and turn it on... wet everything down, T-shirt and all.

gave me air conditioned comfort for almost 30 minutes.... by that time, I was pulling into my garage and putting the bike away. Close the garage door and go take a shower.
post #120 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
True, in heat above your body temp is is cooler to cover yourself completely to keep the sun off. A few years ago riding across Oklahoma in 113º heat I even closed the windshield vent and zipped my mesh jacket all the way up. The furnace hot wind felt like it was stripping the skin off me.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page