LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Year: 2013
Make: GL1800
Model: 2013 Navi Comfort
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
Dum-de-dum-de-dum..... "I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty and witty and gay,
and the pretty face I wore riding yesterday
is the pretty face I can wear riding today!"

I had one exactly like that with one major difference; mine was also cracked. Insurance company made me give it up as part of settlement. Never ever think of riding without one.

2013 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
2014 Harbor Freight Tag-a-Long
Currently stuck in Las Vegas, Nevada

Previous bikes (in reverse order) include:
Harley 883 Sportster
Honda GL1100 Interstate
Honda 750A Hondamatic (second best bike I ever owned)
Honda CB450
Kawasaki 900 Z1
Suzuki GT380
Honda MT125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
while we are talking about the upcoming summer heat and helmets:
Those cooling towels- several makers now- work great under your helmet and down back of the neck! Wet it with cold water and enjoy~

Your brain appreciates the reduced temp
gulfrider likes this.
post #123 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:29 AM

Location: SW Florida, near Ft. Myers. Yes, it's awesome there. Dec-Feb I'm in Brazil.
Year: 2001
Make: GL 1800
Model: It's a plain one. Not much sparkly stuff.....
In 2006, a deer jumped from a hedgerow and slammed into the side of my Silver Wing (I loved that bike). It was at 0500, and I was about to turn into the gate at work. I literally had no idea what had happened to me, except that I was sliding down the road, watching the bike slide away from me.

No one was around, and after a minute or so, I got up, found my missing shoe, put it on and picked up my scoot and drove into work, where they immediately called me an ambulance. The State Police heard the ambulance call and showed up to play 20 questions with me as I was trying not to go into shock. No, I didn't know what happened. Really, I had no idea. No, I wasn't drinking - it's 5 in the freakin' morning, dammit and I'm on my way to work. I fell down and I don't know why.... Guys, can't you just leave me alone for a bit?

The plastic fairing on the front of the scoot cracked when the deer hit it, and then returned to shape, capturing deer hair in the cracks - it looked like my fairing needed a shave. Once the sun came up, the officers saw that and happily reported to me that they had discovered the cause of my accident (which is a good thing, because until then, I think they thought I was drunk.)

I went down hard on one side and had a sore shoulder, lost a bit of skin on my knee and a bit on my elbow (but the leather jacket was still intact?) and had a sore ankle (should have had the boots on). My full-face helmet looked like it had been dragged behind a truck, but my face and neck were OK. The insurance folks totaled my scoot, and were happy to write me a check for the HJC helmet, too.

Moral of the story is that no human could have seen that deer jumping from that hedgerow just a few feet from the edge of the road at 5am. Bikes slide along the road nicer then humans do, and that my full-face HJC (I'm fortunate - they fit my head) kept my ugly face from rubbing off onto the road and getting even uglier.

Yesterday, we did the Bunny Run to the Children's Hospital here in Fort Myers. The temperature was in the mid-80s, and out of the over 500 bikes I saw, perhaps 10% of the riders wore helmets. It's a personal choice and I don't preach, but I wear my helmet every time I get on the bike. I have been known to wear sandals if I'm just going to the hardware store (it's South FL and I wear them all of the time), but the helmet is on my head every time the bike leaves the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:08 PM

Model: 2005 1800 with Lehman Trike
There are HUNDREDS of reasons (excuses) NOT to wear a helmet.

There is only ONE reason to wear one.
AZgl1800 and LarryInSeattle like this.
post #125 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Friend of Bill W.

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800A
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post
There are HUNDREDS of reasons (excuses) NOT to wear a helmet.

There is only ONE reason to wear one.
And that reason should be because the rider CHOOSES to wear one, not forced to wear 4 lbs of plastic that could cause one's neck to break in an accident.

Those who have had broken necks due to helmets are no longer advocating for the use of helmets. They are the dead, silent motorcyclists that can not speak up about it.

The body can take a hit and keep on ticking, but the neck is kinda important and vulnerable. Since there is no evidence to confirm or deny the advantage of the helmet, except over all motorcycle accident statistics as in plural, not each and every accident fully reported, I shouldn't have to wear any potential harm, unless I make the choice to wear one.

If I report that wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle is uncomfortable, it is increases my fatigue factor by 25% and compromises my vision and hearing, why can't my voice as a motorcyclist be heard? Because it is shouted down by the pro helmet people and that I am "crazy and I put this whole nation at risk by the increased costs of me becoming a complete basket case."

But let us clap and applaud those who do this risky motorcycling riding for the sake of riding endurance rides. Let's applaud those who can ride a 1,000 miles in a 24 hour period. Or say 10,000 miles in 10 days. Throw in the 4 corners in that too. Might as well. Gas, go, gas go, gas go. Atgatt, gas go, gas go, Atgatt, gas go. Look what I did, I got a certificate. I can put it in my signature that I am a LD rider. Horay for me. "Make sure you wear a helmet to be safe out there."

5 years later, these riders have sold their bike and are no longer riding. Why, cuz they see how compulsive it has become and they listened to their loved ones about the dangers of just riding around the country, burning up miles just for the hell of it. BUT we did it with the best helmet we could find, so we were safe.

Oh come on now, we all know riders who are no longer riding. Did you ask them why they quit? Be honest with that answer. I have. The reasons are: it is a solo, expensive activity that is not the safest way to spend all of the time doing. They have since developed other hobbies with friends where they can talk and involve the families. They golf, fish, take the grand kids to the zoo and then a picnic. They don't have time to ride much any more.

I am not saying that you shouldn't wear a helmet. I am saying you should have the choice to do so.

Trust me, I will respect you regardless of your views on long distance riding, Atgatt or whatever you choose to make you feel comfortable riding your motorcycle. As long as you don't beat your kids, respect your neighbors and are responsible in of your decisions and that you respect my decisions.

It is called: Mutual respect and admiration.

If my post pissed you off, then you should probably examine your thinking. I didn't attack anyone. I merely pointed at some activities that are not in my favor and my opinion about the crazy way the USA deals with helmet laws. Equal rights under the law?
gulfrider likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #126 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Forum Diplomat

Well, I'm going with these guys....

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/p.../reducing.html

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #127 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Forum Diplomat

But again, I don't care what, or if, you wear...... but I do feel uneasy when "non-wearers" try to make the case that not wearing helmets is a safe practice. It is not, and all serious statistical studies support me on this. If you can't keep the rubber side down, for any reason, you have a better chance hitting the pavement wearing a helmet than you do without one.

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #128 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:23 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
Well, I'm going with these guys....

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/p.../reducing.html
No doubts, they save lives, and so do exercising, not eating burgers and not smoking. I suggest all should be made into laws! Maybe motorcycle riding should be banned altogether and mountain climbing and.....
LarryInSeattle and gulfrider like this.
post #129 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:00 PM
Forum Diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo97 View Post
No doubts, they save lives, and so do exercising, not eating burgers and not smoking. I suggest all should be made into laws! Maybe motorcycle riding should be banned altogether and mountain climbing and.....
I hear what you're saying, but I think it works in the opposite direction: the more deaths from motorcycle riding that comes to the public's attention (and helmetless riding increases the death rate), the more likely the public thinks of banning the whole activity. For instance, even without the possibility of riding bareheaded, there have been serious movements in both England and France to ban all motorcycles....all of them. The more the public sees us as insane, the more likely they are to want to ban our main activity.... they want to "protect us" from ourselves We should at least appear to be halfway sane.

post #130 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:20 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I wear a helmet every time, always have. I have "a few" different ones now by HJC and Shoei. On the "bike" I alweays have a FF on. On the "trike", I might have a FF, a modular, or in really warm times .... a open face 3/4 style.

First bike was a Norton Commando about 1972, wore a 3/4 open face for awhile, saved my pennies, bought a new Bell Star 120 in '73. In September '77 it was on my head when I and the bike I was on separated after a series of tank slaps ... at 70 mph.

I had just painted it again and fitted it with a new fangled flip up shield kit from Bell which all got wiped off. I still have it, just haven't had it on my head since.

I doubt that my head would have taken the "scraping hits" without wearing through and letting my brain leak out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0034 (640x625).jpg (193.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0033 (530x640).jpg (182.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0035 (640x589).jpg (202.1 KB, 10 views)

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page