Wearing a helmet - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

70Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Living room doesn't count John, I'm not apt to fall off my couch.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 PM

Year: 2012 r1200rt / 2012 dl650
Make: BMW / Suzuki
Model: None
all I can say .and I've said it before .
I am able to ride today because of helmets . I owe my life to one in 1971 and one in 1984 .

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory
Why spend life in a cage when you can spend it behind bars?...Handlebars, that is.

Never give the devil a ride--He will always want to drive
post #23 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Steve

Year: 1985
Model: GL 1200 I
I truly believe I am still alive due to wearing a helmet and my mother.(If I catch you riding that damn dirt bike without a helmet I will cut that thing to pieces myself). I have been bouncing my body off the ground for years(and I feel naked and afraid when I ride without one). I will never preach to anyone and you make your own decision.

I am happy to be alive when I ride my motorcycle.I am happy to be alive when I stop riding my motorcycle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 GL 1200 I 82250 miles
2001 Suzuki GS 500
1980 Yamaha DT100
POS 250 4 wheeler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
look in my signature for the 'accident' link, that is enough to convince anyone of the need for a helmet.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
When I started riding we didn't have helmets. Racers wore them, but to be honest, I worked at Oxnard Honda and I don't think they sold helmets there.

When I bought my CB160, the owner of the shop brought out a used Bell and said he'd sell it to me for 10 bucks if I'd wear it. He started something, and wearing a lid has become a habit for me...and probably saved my life a couple of times.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #26 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 AM

Model: 2002 GL1800.....yellow, the fastest color!
Personally, I do not always wear a helmet. If it's a hot day, I love the feeling of fresh air, especially after a long cooped up Minnesota winter. And yet I do know it saves lives. I totalled a brand new bike in 1983.....299 miles on it. Yes....I had a helmet on then.
And I'm shaking my head now, finally realizing what ATGATT actually means. Lmbo. I honestly thought it was in reference to speed......ALL THE GEARS, ALL THE TIME. Oh boy......maybe I hit my head to hard after all! ;-)
post #27 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by superzimm View Post
Personally, I do not always wear a helmet. If it's a hot day, I love the feeling of fresh air, especially after a long cooped up Minnesota winter. And yet I do know it saves lives. I totalled a brand new bike in 1983.....299 miles on it. Yes....I had a helmet on then.
And I'm shaking my head now, finally realizing what ATGATT actually means. Lmbo. I honestly thought it was in reference to speed......ALL THE GEARS, ALL THE TIME. Oh boy......maybe I hit my head to hard after all! ;-)

I love fresh air as much as anyone, but with my ears and Tinnitus, I cannot stand the wind noise.... so I have to wear a helmet to keep that under control.... even with a helmet, for a long trip, I use the foam inserts to stop the high frequency whistling noises...

My modular helmet will open the face shield only, or pop up the whole front is necessary. When I get is congested traffic, I often open it so I can hear better around me.

~ John

post #28 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 AM

John, I am using a modular now, when I do put one on. And I am liking that style!
post #29 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
John, I am using a modular now, when I do put one on. And I am liking that style!

I started out a decade ago with a HJC modular... it did not quite fit me right and although it has a brand new face shield on it, I decided to get a proper helmet.

I ended up with a Shoei modular that just fits me awesome...
with the addition of the top of the line EdSets Thunderclap speakers, boom mike, it totalled real close to $1,000

I have never, ever, spent more than $150 on a helmet... but, I started cheap last year, wore it 3 months, and it was so uncomfortable, I went back to Cycle Gear, and they traded me up to a 2nd helmet....

again, no good, so I finally told them, find me one that fits, and I will take that.... ouch, it hurt, but now a year later, I am so glad that I finally decided that "money is no object to safety and comfort".

~ John

post #30 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Quote:

I started out a decade ago with a HJC modular... it did not quite fit me right and although it has a brand new face shield on it, I decided to get a proper helmet.

I ended up with a Shoei modular that just fits me awesome...
with the addition of the top of the line EdSets Thunderclap speakers, boom mike, it totalled real close to $1,000

I have never, ever, spent more than $150 on a helmet... but, I started cheap last year, wore it 3 months, and it was so uncomfortable, I went back to Cycle Gear, and they traded me up to a 2nd helmet....

again, no good, so I finally told them, find me one that fits, and I will take that.... ouch, it hurt, but now a year later, I am so glad that I finally decided that "money is no object to safety and comfort".

I'm currently shopping for a new helmet for my fiancÚ and perhaps a new one for myself at some point. We have looked at the HJC helmets, and others. But don't think I can bring myself to spend a grand on a new one.
I've got my eye on a LS2 lid.... maybe.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page