Wearing a helmet - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 70Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:59 AM

Year: 2007
Make: Honda
Model: 1800
Living in Utah a helmet is optional, since I started riding again I think I might have logged 10 miles without a helmet. Like everyone I like the wind in my face and through my hair I also feel naked without one.

Wearing a helmet may not save my life in a bad accident, but I love my life, family (Grand kids are awesome) etc.... I want to healthy and be around to enjoy life. So I choose to wear a helmet.

US AirForce - Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 AM

Model: 2005 1800 with Lehman Trike
Gary Busey says helmets are for sissies.
AZgl1800 and bbeauchaine87408 like this.
post #33 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
In the 1980's I bought a Harley and we rode it without helmets, I would wear a Levi Jacket and some Leather Gloves and Cowboy Boots. With Sunglasses. That was my riding gear. California passed the Helmet Law a few years later and I stopped riding. I wasn't going to wear a Helmet or be told what to do. Well last year I bought the 1980 wing and the guy had 2 HJC helmet's he threw in to get me to buy the bike. This proves old dogs can learn new tricks, because today I don't ride any where without my helmet. I live in the country and every time a big bug hits my helmet I remember how it used to feel when that bug hit my forehead after I had been riding all day in the sun. I have been wrong about seatbelts, helmets and talking on the phone while driving and other safety laws, I have payed tickets because I didn't want someone telling me what to do. Oh one more is faring and windshields I didn't want a bike that looked like that. If in 1981 when I bought the Harley I had only been willing to ride a goldwing I would probably still have it. Anyway that's another story. Just wear a 3/4 or Full face Helmet weather it's the law or not, I ain't riding out there today without one. I didn't ride for 30 years because I was not going to wear a helmet. Do what you want but sometimes I'm a little Stupid about stuff. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Friend of Bill W.

Year: 2002
Model: 1800A
Garage
I try to imagine having sex with a helmet on my head and it just doesn't work for me. Now there are times to wear protection, no doubt about it.

I have been riding for 45 years and have been down once. Of all the times I have put on the helmet, take off the helmet to go into the bank, put the helmet back on to go to the post office, get there, take off the helmet......

I BELIEVE IN CHOICE AND THE STATE OF WASHINGTON TAKES THAT AWAY FROM ME, but allows kids to skateboard without wrist supports or helmets, has legal pot, provides safe places for heroin users to shoot up, provides free medical services for crap faced drunks and the list goes on and on.

The motorcycle community should be united on CHOICE. No one is taking your choice away. If you choose to ware a helmet, that is choice. Why is it if you live in a "helmet free" state and you decide to travel across the US, that you have to drag a helmet along so that you can wear one in the states that require them?

When you ride to South Dakota for Nassir, take a look around at the riders in Sioux Falls and you will see hundreds of motorcyclists riding without helmets. You will have to look and ride all day to see one hand full of riders wearing helmets.

Washington State requires a helmet. Once I leave the state heading to South Dakota, I could leave mine at the state line and pick it up on my way back home. Perhaps I will drop by a bowling alley and put that plastic piece of crap there for a week. (matching Nolans with built in audio)

My post does not take aim at anyone who chooses to wear theirs. I object to being told I have to wear one here. Yes, I have made my opinion known in Olympia.

Please tell me how much your insurance rates will go up if I don't wear my helmet and I will tell you how I really feel.
bladder likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #35 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:46 AM

Year: 2003
Model: 2003 GL 1800A Red
Garage
I read a very interesting report on motorcycle accidents that clearly indicated that I am less likely to have a serious motorcycle accident/fatality because: 1. I am over 65; 2. I do not drink (ever) and drive; and, 3. I always wear a helmet.

The correlation between drinking and non helmet use and injuries and death is difinative.

As an experiment, anyone who is considering riding without a helmet should bang their head against a brick wall at, say, 20 mph (i.e. jump head first (no hands to break the fall) off a single story garage roof onto pavement. Then let us know the results.

Two articles I did find follow. Specifically look at the situation in Florida. Although there are many reasons that Florida has a high accident rate, it is interesting they they created a perfect control experiment by holding all factors constant and eliminating the requirement for helmet use. The results are revealing, to say the least.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/p...ages/Index.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6123a1.htm

I do ride without some arm and leg protection from time to time and reducing those instances. I am starting to think ATGATT. I have only been on the bike with no helmet for a photo op and a couple times in the underground winter storage garage.

Last edited by LOMLC; 03-07-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer
post #36 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM

Year: 2003
Model: 2003 GL 1800A Red
Garage
I guess, as long as you are paying 100% for your own short and long term medical care, you can do what you want
post #37 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
There is an element of risk in anything we do. Lots of people have died eating lunch, or due to lunch-related injuries. We can reduce those risks by using a bit of caution, being educated and properly equipped.

Keeping your bike in proper working order and taking safety classes can greatly reduce your chances of being in an accident. Safety gear is for when the odds go against you. However; gear that shields you from the elements like helmets, jackets and gloves, can improve your comfort, and therefore your safety, on a ride. Hypothermia and sunstroke are real dangers in the real world and a helmet, believe it or not, can protect against both.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #38 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:29 PM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I didn't commit to start a Helmet debut, I just shared my experience about Helmets. I see guys wearing the little half helmets with 4" spikes sticking out the top to protest the Helmet law here in California. Even in my protest days I knew that spike would put me out of my misery pretty quickly. I like my helmet in the rain and sun and when bugs hit me and all the other stuff that it does for me. My looking cool days are long gone and today I like comfort much better than cool. Like I said before Do What You Want, I am.
Larry we have a lot in common and I agree with you about the GWRRA and a lot of your post and I don't like somebody telling me what to do but sometimes there right. Just my opinion. At least we get to ride the 2 wheel beast down the road, ain't it great.
post #39 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Zip

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500SE
Here in CO, helmets are a choice. Glad for the choice, as this is the USA. I wear mine 99% of the time. Had a 1971 Triumph TR6C (single Amal, high pipes, first year of the oil-bearing frame) in 1972, sunrise was at my back, a VW turned in front of me, hit it, hospitalized, broken bones etc. Had helmet on. Zip

As independent as a hog on ice.

CB160 Dream, first bike in '68, cost $150.00 used, married the girl that rode on the back, still together. Blessed big-time.
post #40 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800
After personally seeing what a slide along the asphalt can do to my helmet, I prefer not to have that happen to my face. Never ride without one.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page