Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Friend of Bill W.

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800A
Garage
And all of you are speaking about your choice. America is great in all other aspects except requiring responsible, sensible motorcyclists to wear a helmet. However, you can go home and smoke and drink yourself to death legally. Only if you pay your long term health insurance?

The same argument can be had over having a gun stuck in your belt..... only if you have long term health insurance paid?

It is because people who ride motorcycles are not in solidarity about CHOICE, that we have these helmet laws. Perhaps you might consider CHOICE and you chose to ride with one. I would salute you if you supported choice, just as I solute you choosing to abstain from drinking, smoking and drugging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Model: 1988 GL 1500, 2012 GL1800, 1977 GL1000 2012 KLR 650
Here in CA, they are required. Even when I ride in states that do not require a helmet I keep mine on. I like the added protection in case of a spill. It also has my headsets for radio, provides protection from weather, bugs, cold, sun exposure. It just works for me.

Dan
AMA Life
2012 GL 1800 Level 3
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650
post #43 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Does anyone on here not wear a seat belt when driving? Do you have a choice? What bothers me is as far as I know seat belts are required by law everywhere, helmets are not, why is that? I kind of think it's revenue, everywhere it's required most everyone who rides a motorcycle wears a helmet and there are a lot less motorcycles than cars in the US so not much revenue there. On the other hand a lot of people don't wear a seat belt, my son can take pretty much all the overtime he wants just to ticket seat belt offenders. He gets a lot of other "business" from that too, 1 day he made 2 arrests on federal warrants from seat belt stops.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achysklic View Post
I live in a state where you only have to wear a helmet if you are under 18 or for your first yr having your lic. I admit in the past Inhave rode back roads without a helmet, but now I always wear one....however, 90% of the riders I see on the road here done wear one...so, How many of you wear one?
All of the intelligent ones.
suvcw04 likes this.

Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The journey IS the destination .
post #45 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 View Post
Those that don't are...? Don't bother answering as any "intelligent" answer won't change my opinion or my choice.

Brian
post #46 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 View Post

I resent that! I'm stupid and I can prove it...

...But, I always wear a helmet.
bladder likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #47 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 AM

Year: 2003
Make: Honda
Model: 2003 GL 1800A Red
Garage
Does your theory also apply to Roe v Wade?
I agree that we should have all this choice, but we should also be prepared to pay for the consequences of our choices.
post #48 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Model: GL1800
Garage
I have the choice and choose to wear my helmet. The only accident I ever had was after work on my bike and had changed out of uniform and put and my helmet in my saddle bags, 5 miles before I hit 6 block of hydraulic fluid. I was LUCKY then.

Now saying that I do enjoy the quiet neighborhood, empty street ride occasionally to allow my helmet to dry out and cool off during a hot summer evening or a brief break while returning cross country. On those rare occurrences there is no traffic, clear roads and slow speeds. Yes it feels great (like streaking back in college! LOL) but since last year's desert ride I've added a very comfortable. light weight and cool Bell 3/4 to my available lids and its almost as enjoyable as streaking. Ten months a year though my modular Scorpions are in full use (besides I can hear the sound system, GPS, CB, GPS, Scanner and Sat Radio better and have no worries when the wind throws crap at my face.
post #49 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Model: 1998 SE
Living in the great state of Iowa with an active and bold ABATE group, I choose not to wear a helmet. Most of the time. If I'm on an all day ride on 4 lane highway I may wear one. It helps minimize wind fatigue. Or if it's raining. I rode to Branson last year during an extremely hot period. Over 100 degrees F. Missouri requires helmets. It was miserable. I rode into Arkansas and took my helmet off and enjoyed my ride again. My great state, in this regard at least, recognizes I am an adult and am able to determine whether I wear a helmet or not. And I behave as an adult and wear it on occasion but typically not. I choose. Not some idiot that has never ridden a motorcycle.
post #50 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
99.8% of the time I do. And I don't need a law to tell me I need to wear one, I just use common sense to tell me that my skull loses in a skull vs pavement battle.
bladder likes this.

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page