1800 recall - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
  • 2 Post By 52wingnut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2010
Garage
1800 recall

Bike is going in today for the brake recall. My dealer not too happy with Mother Honda though. The old crone is paying out 2 hrs labour. The shop has done a bunch and no where close to 2 hrs on any of them. Glad I bought from a dealer, they're doing all their customers 1st then taking in the riff raff.

2010 That is Black and has a Black Trailer on the Back.
2003 That is the fastest Red I've ever seen
Riding a 4 wheeler, 2 of them are on the trailer
My hair is white, my neck is red, my collar is blue.
Darkside #1721
2010 Rear-Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
2003 Rear-Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip 195/55R/16
Wild Rhino
Group of Ten (Those ten guys from Winnipeg)
AKA Wingerpeg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Hmmm,

Charlie 'flylow' and I have yet to get ours done, we have been waiting for nicer weather as we have to ride about 2.5 hours to the dealer in Shawnee, OK.

we don't trust the dealers in Tulsa or Bartlesville.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:21 PM

Model: 2010 gl1800 Level 1
Let me know when you guys get your appointments set. If I can I'll meet you there at the dealership and take you to some good eating there in Shawnee. Haven't been back to my old hometown in quite a while!
AZgl1800 and flylow like this.

Gary

2010 Metallic Black with Crucible Orange trim
Wild Rhino Oklahoma Chapter

A day, a month, or a year it's all subjective when your riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 03:35 PM

Model: 96 GL1500SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
The old crone is paying out 2 hrs labour. The shop has done a bunch and no where close to 2 hrs on any of them.
That may be the reason I'm hearing some dealers are trying to "upsell" other services while they have the bikes. Things like bleeding the clutch for $150.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bike is dropped off.....beauty ride......took the long way around.........working on it tomorrow and pick up Friday........In the rain of course.........happens like that every time I leave the dealership.........its become a running gag at the shop.

Darkside #1721
Wild Rhino
AKA Wingerpeg

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Bike is going in today for the brake recall. My dealer not too happy with Mother Honda though. The old crone is paying out 2 hrs labour. The shop has done a bunch and no where close to 2 hrs on any of them. Glad I bought from a dealer, they're doing all their customers 1st then taking in the riff raff.
You really didn't think that MH would actually pay the time it takes to do the job did you.That's not the way it is at any dealer be it a bike,truck,car whatever.The only way for the tech and the dealer to even break even is to do enough of them to learn some short cuts.Was a tech at a GM Dealer for 15 years.Left 15 years ago and for the most part the techs that make money on anything the dealer is paying for are cutting corners somewhere.You make your money on customer pay,not on anything the dealer is paying for.

BTW I talked to my local dealer about a frame change.Thought maybe it would be something he would want to do in the winter for a fill in and he more or less said no if he had a choice.MH pays less than 30 hours to change a frame and he said to do it properly it takes over 60 and takes up a lot of space in the shop.Just an example of how they pay.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:01 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Reading through the bulletin I see some shortcuts that would cut the time down significantly, like taking the front wheel of twice, I see no reason to take it off at all.
If Honda finds out about that dealer giving it's customers preference they could get a dressing down. Honda pays for the warranty work, doesn't matter who the customer is.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Forum Diplomat

Poulens Honda of Yakima, Wa, did the job without question in three hours, even though I didn't buy it there. I showed them my letter, and they set me up an appointment. I like and trust their mechanic; when I dropped the bike off, I told him to check the rear pads and if they were close, to go ahead and swap them out. But I said nothing about the front pads, and I gave him a landline instead of my cell phone, and we went on to Walla Walla to visit an ancient Aunt..... The mechanic saw that the fronts needed swapped, and tried to call me to get an okay.....but, since I wasn't home, he couldn't. He tried five times. But I figured it was my screw-up, not his, and so I brought it back the next morning and paid him a $30 labor fee to swap them out. I figure the kid has integrity (he showed me the old pads), and a house mechanic with integrity is a rare and valuable thing.

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
I figure the kid has integrity (he showed me the old pads), and a house mechanic with integrity is a rare and valuable thing.
Most mechanics are honest and hard working.
When you find one that doesn't seem to be it's likely coming from higher up and he needs the pay cheque.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The shop had it done and I picked it up Thursday. Which is good cause it rained Friday and ittsa 45min ride. Time to do some prime maintenance schedule stuff like Flush the front brake and clutch and coolant. Hope to get to it next week. Had a lil issue figuring out the front brake flush sequence, bit it appears to bleed the right upper and lower left.

Darkside #1721
Wild Rhino
AKA Wingerpeg

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page