8Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2005
Make: Honda GL1800
Model: Motor Trike
Trailer security

What's your preferred methods to secure your trailer while traveling and staying at a small hotel, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:12 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
I have the ball part of a hitch mounted (welded) to a stand that I use to keep the tongue off the ground. It locks in place with a key.

I have also made and installed a cheap battery operated 120 db tilt alarm that goes off if you bump the trailer hard or it gets tilted enough to remove the stand. It's armed/disarmed by remote.

It's ear piercing and the nice thing about having all LEDs on the trailer is that I get it to flash/strobe the trailers lights... all of them when the alarm is tripped.

You can pick up small little alarm stuff like this less the ability to flash light at Radio Shack and some other places.

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:17 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Oh... I have seen many other people chain their trailers to trees or posts with chain.

However I don't want to carry a large amount of chain with me that big enough to struggle to simply or easily cut.

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:37 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
If the hotel stay is just overnight, I never take the trailer off.

in fact, the trailer has not been off my bike's hitch since a week before I left home to go to Virginia.

the hitch is tightened enough that it will just barely slip down over the ball, and then when the hitch coupler latch is down and locked, I put a padlock thru that so it can't be removed.

and the Safety Chains are wrapped up and over the top of the hitch and the padlock goes thru one of them also.

gonna be a real effort to get it off my bike....

I like the Alarm idea too, in fact, every time I went to bed, I was thinking "hey bud, you need to install an alarm on that trailer" and then you could go to sleep knowing that it is not messed with.

I also have a full cover for the trailer, it is made for trailers, and it has the elastic around the bottom to hold it secure. Not theft proof, but it has never once been messed with....

on the bike, I have a new Half Cover that goes over the windshield and shelters...

then I have a 30 year old POS looking full cover that I secure underneath the bike with a piece of hookup wire.... no locks, then you can't tell if it is a brand new bike, or an old guy's piece of junk under there....

that old cover is really ratty: my idea is "out of sight, out of mind" insurance.
and it also, has never, once in 30 years has that old piece of crap been messed with.

folks just don't have time to mess with farm junk, and that is how I disguise my bike when left alone.
Aloha Tom likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 AM

Garage
I have been in every state except Alaska, Hawaii and North Dakota on a Gold Wing pulling a trailer. Like AZgl1800 I usually do not unhook it when I get to a motel. Back the bike into a space or ask and most motels will let you park it by the office. I really think people overthink the "SOME ONE WANTS TO STEAL MY STUFF" thing. But a simple daplock on the tongue will do the trick.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM

Garage
Joe, at the last 2 of the 3 hotels I stayed in, I was told to park it under the canopy where they could see it from the front desk.

At the last hotel, they have parking slots directly in front of each room's door.
This was a Day's Inn at Forrest City, AR.
I was shocked. I threw the covers over bike and trailer and went to sleep.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
anything that locks the coupler together with the ball- a simple padlock, or better is Johns method
of using the existing trailer chain and padlock = will keep the casual thief away.
If the Pros want it- its gone!
Ken Bergen likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 PM

Garage
a knowledgeable person will realize that there is only a single pin under the fender that holds the vertical receiver mount to the bike.

That can be wiggled out with a lot of effort, as the tongue has about 40 lbs sitting on it.
At first, I thought that was too heavy, and then I just increased the rear spring setting from 15 to 25, and the effect of a trailer behind me just simply vaporized.

I have to look in the mirrors to see if it is still there.

at the Rest Stops along the freeways? most of them have a large area where you can practice your tight figure 8s. I was doing that at one of them, and got a hand clap from someone who was watching.

I could not even tell there was a trailer behind me on those figure 8s.
and that was precisely why I was doing it.

I wanted to explore the outer regions of handling with the trailer hooked up.

It became evident to me quickly, that I can just ignore it, other that at gas pumps I stay 2 feet further away than usual. But, that is the only difference in the way I ride the bike.

I do not notice it on super tight twisties at all, it as if it is just not there.
It has never pushed me hard into the turns, I practice coming into the turns with a slight bit of braking lever/rear and just a touch of extra power.

That for some reason, makes the whole rig feel like it is riding on Railroad Tracks.

I just completed 3,335 miles with that trailer, and never once unhooked it. Still haven't and might not at all.... the whole thing will fit in the shop as is.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 PM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
Locks + .45 ACP. If that don't do it, there's always insurance....
AZgl1800 and gulfrider like this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpone View Post
Locks + .45 ACP. If that don't do it, there's always insurance....
Locked up like this?
This is just exactly how my trailer completed the 3300+ mile ride.

The unseen part of that rigging is the hitch pin, and the two clevis hooks that connect the chains to the hitch.

all of it can be undone in 30 seconds, and the trailer towed away, hitch & ball, chains and all.

Making it look tough, might be all that is needed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Safety Chains.jpg (104.3 KB, 29 views)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page