Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Watch a few episodes of Cops and learn all you need to know
That might be the best joke I've heard this week.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
HUUUUZAAAAH Finally! Something ken likes in one of my post!! even if it wasnt meant as a joke~

I would carry a few spray cans of Bear Repellent, a perfectly reasonable thing to have while travelling/camping across the top of the country.
Its stronger than pepper spray...

That stuff will knock an animalistic human down fast!
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I don't keep my helmet in the trunk, too much crap in there that I have to have access to quickly...

so, I use Mr. JJ's ( John Johnson, er uh, Jobe05 ) neat little elastic straps to hold it down to the top of the trailer. On my trip home from Atlanta, I was parking a lot in open areas. I just threw a red T-shirt across the top of the helmet, placed the elastic band strap across that, and no one even gave the rig a 2nd look.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 12:49 AM
Friend of Bill W.

Year: 2002
Model: 1800A
Garage
I travel to national parks all the time and I bring my .38 with me in a case, packed in my bindle bag of clothes and misc camping stuff. At night, I bring that gun case into my tent and in all my years I have never had a problem with carrying in and on national forest service, national parks or state parks. I don't advertise it, I just bring it along.

Going into Canada with one is not going to work. If I was traveling through Canada, I would leave the gun at home and buy an extra can of bear spray.

This next week, I will be traveling through several national parks in Utah and Colorado and that same gun will be with my girl friend and I, camping all the way.

We also have bear spray at the ready and that would always be my first choice of defense. After the can runs empty and there still is a problem..... then the .38 would be a good backup.

Then again, I am a 62 year old balding fat guy who doesn't look like anyone who is looking for trouble.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 01:22 AM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post
Why not just leave it at home? I have traveled a bit in 72 years and have NEVER had a time when I needed a gun. I think that a lot of times when guns become involved, its because someone thought they needed to pull one out. Keep your eyes open, think a situation thru, and don't be too tough to just walk away.
If you want to jump on me, go ahead. But consider this . . . I'm still here and no shots were fired.

I'm still here, too. Unfortunately, more than a few shots were fired along the way. I don't travel and live with a firearm on me to protect myself. I'm good to go at any time. It's to protect other people, most importantly my family, and then friends and innocents. When motorcycling, I like to carry a heavy weapon, particularly in the West. A .38 will only piss off a grizzly bear. A .45 Automatic Colt Pistol with one in the chamber and 10 rounds behind it, plus another 10 round mag, will drop anything that lives on this continent.

And, whether the threat is 4-legged or 2-legged, the first round would most likely be fired into the ground in front of them. I've never had any interest in killing any living being(well, other than those I intended to eat.) Sometimes, when you're young in particular, you allow yourself to be induced into such situations. And, you pay the consequences for the rest of your life.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post
Why not just leave it at home? I have traveled a bit in 72 years and have NEVER had a time when I needed a gun. I think that a lot of times when guns become involved, its because someone thought they needed to pull one out. Keep your eyes open, think a situation thru, and don't be too tough to just walk away.
If you want to jump on me, go ahead. But consider this . . . I'm still here and no shots were fired.
Guns are like parachutes(someone said) You only need it once and if you dont have it you probably wont need one again.

Guns are allowed in all federal parks, just not in a building located in federal parks.
Im not "dying" to bring it with me but I prefer so.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
HUUUUZAAAAH Finally! Something ken likes in one of my post!! even if it wasnt meant as a joke~

I would carry a few spray cans of Bear Repellent, a perfectly reasonable thing to have while travelling/camping across the top of the country.
Its stronger than pepper spray...

That stuff will knock an animalistic human down fast!
Make sure you buy it in CDN since is illegal to just bring it across the border, will be confiscated.

Follow me on the spot

post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 06:43 PM

Year: 2013
Make: GL1800
Model: 2013 Navi Comfort
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
Not so, but you cannot use USPS. I shipped a few guns to a gunsmith to be fixed via Fed Ex. You can tell them its a gun and they charge you double, or say machined parts and pay half price.( I dont know the legality of the second)
In my case I can ship it to myself in Detroit but dont know what to do after that. Ill check out a few bus stations on line and ask a few gun shops or maybe I just leave it home.
If you totally (100%) disassemble the weapon and mark each part separately you can legally ship the item as "Gun Parts - Assorted" and not pay the premium you would otherwise.

2013 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
2014 Harbor Freight Tag-a-Long
Currently stuck in Las Vegas, Nevada

Previous bikes (in reverse order) include:
Harley 883 Sportster
Honda GL1100 Interstate
Honda 750A Hondamatic (second best bike I ever owned)
Honda CB450
Kawasaki 900 Z1
Suzuki GT380
Honda MT125
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 06:48 PM

Year: 2013
Make: GL1800
Model: 2013 Navi Comfort
Garage
If allowed by local statutes and you are a licensed CCW carrier in the state within which the National Park is located it is 100% legal to carry it into the park in accordance with a law signed by Obama in 2010. You are NOT allowed to conceal carry in any federal buildings within the park however.

I'm glad of this because a couple of years ago i rode my bike into Yellowstone and was approached by a wild animal when i was blocked in by vehicles on the road. I'm glad I had my Glock with me "just in case" but luckily I didn't need it this time. However, you only need one when you need one. If you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.
gulfrider likes this.

2013 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
2014 Harbor Freight Tag-a-Long
Currently stuck in Las Vegas, Nevada

Previous bikes (in reverse order) include:
Harley 883 Sportster
Honda GL1100 Interstate
Honda 750A Hondamatic (second best bike I ever owned)
Honda CB450
Kawasaki 900 Z1
Suzuki GT380
Honda MT125
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatz View Post
If allowed by local statutes and you are a licensed CCW carrier in the state within which the National Park is located it is 100% legal to carry it into the park in accordance with a law signed by Obama in 2010. You are NOT allowed to conceal carry in any federal buildings within the park however.

I'm glad of this because a couple of years ago i rode my bike into Yellowstone and was approached by a wild animal when i was blocked in by vehicles on the road. I'm glad I had my Glock with me "just in case" but luckily I didn't need it this time. However, you only need one when you need one. If you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.
Or in a state that reciprocates with the state where the park is.

Follow me on the spot

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page