Gun situations - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

32Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Tired of the boloni of which states reciprocate with which . I know I can look up US Carry. Im a resident ccw in FL. I see that in my way Wisconsin which is a gun friendly state does not reciprocate wit FL. Open carry is ok even for out of staters . I dont care much for open carry.Minesota and Nevada are two other states I may encounter that dont recognize FL. You have the right but really you don't.Does the same apply to the freedom of speech? If its a Constitutional Right you wouldnt have to get a permit, just like a few states have.One nation under one flag with different rules.
Time to move to Canada..... crap nooooo

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatz View Post
If you totally (100%) disassemble the weapon and mark each part separately you can legally ship the item as "Gun Parts - Assorted" and not pay the premium you would otherwise.
Way beyond my abilities. I merely strip it to the basics for cleanup

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Well,

it is time for us to go get one of those online CCW permits from the state of Virginia.
That plus the one you have, should get us into any state we want to go thru.

I just left my little Ruger LC9S hidden in my Tourmaster Pants Cargo Pocket, Out of Sight, Out of Mind...

Never needed to go thru an xray machine, so who is to know?

I just know, that it felt comfortable to know that it was there, if that parachute was ever needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

No John, Minnesota doesnt agree with Virginia or Florida, but Im old and getting senile and I might forget what things I carry with me
AZgl1800 likes this.

Follow me on the spot

post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 07:53 AM

Year: 1985
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post

Nothing someone can steal from you or the bike itself (its all insured) is really worth the court time for shooting them DEAD !

Cause if you have to shoot it out with the a Crystal Meth fueled tweaker who really really really NEEDS that next 10 dollars...
It aint going to be pretty trying to stop a drugged-out maniac, with no sense of pain....or remorse~
It wouldn't be the loss of property I would be worried about. Nowadays thugs don't hesitate to kill for a bloody pair of sneakers

And if it's a drugged out maniac, make sure you use quality ammunition like Federal HST Premium LE. Don't cheap out when your life could be on the line.

OP, Here is a handy reciprocity site for figuring out your travels. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/
It's really a shame that these things are so convoluted when there is a federal statute of 'Shall not be infringed" in place

As far as "why not leave it at home", my question would be why carry insurance on your ride? It's not like you intend to have an accident.

A very good motto that every scout knows......BE PREPARED
Peter Goldwing likes this.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 PM

Model: 97 gl1500 SE
It must be from being brought up in Canada, but the thought of carrying a gun for personal protection never occurs to me. I guess if you were outback camping, you might want a weapon for protection. I lived in Columbia, Maryland for 2 years, worked at NSA and weekly had to drive the diplomatic case from the NSA down to the Canadian Embassy. They did tell me to leave a little extra space between me and the car in front when stopping at a light so you could escape if somebody tried to carjack you... Again, I never even thought about carrying a weapon when I was doing the weekly embassy runs...

I have owned a few firearms in my life, used to go to the local gun club to shoot with my dad and brother (starting at about age 12, I think). Shot several different weapons while in the Canadian Military, and usually stop by The Gun Store in Vegas when I'm there to shoot something I haven't shot before (got my wife shooting an Uzi and 9mm pistol one trip). So, I'm not a stranger to guns, just doesn't occur to me to need to carry/CCW. Not that I think that it wouldn't be necessary or prudent to carry in some locales, but just never really dawns on me until I see a thread like this. Before anybody gets started, I'm not trying to start a 'right to bear arms' debate, just making a comment.

And yes, CCW is not permitted anywhere in Canada, so be careful/aware when crossing the border.
suvcw04 likes this.

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

I grew up in another country where guns have been a big NO NO. I havent seen a real one tlil I was just over 20 YO in this country. I was very scared of the idea that people may own them. My first experience shooting one was about 10 years ago. I was concerned that someone near me can turn around and squeeze the trigger and I would be gone in 1 second. After I got my first hand gun I realized that I feel safer at night when I hear a suspicious noise. Long time ago my little wife used to hide a butter knife under the pillow when I was gone away at work. She was alone with 3 small children and even thou we have been living in a good neighborhood she was scared to be alone.NOW the kids are grown up and on their own. Sometime the little lady is home alone at night but she feels comfortable. On the side of the bad is a Berretta that shes very familiar with.
Also I changed my view of the gun as being dangerous. If a guy on the road wants you killed either you are in a car or bike you could be gone in one second.( in a few occasions some people hit other cars head on ,intentionally.)
There are many ways to kill someone and the gun is just one of them.
Just like you, Im not making this a gun debate and know that common sense helps most of us stay out of danger. But sometimes it helps to have one around if for nothing else at least for peace of mind.

Follow me on the spot

post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM

Year: 1977
Model: GL1000
Garage
If Im just staying in my state, my IWB hoster isnt too uncomfortable on my bike, but if I had to ride through a state where my permit wasnt reciprocated, Id consider carrying one of those little derringer-shaped pepper spray launchers.

Ride it like you stole it, or leave it in the shed.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

That will get you arrested in NJ as well

Follow me on the spot

post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:35 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
That will get you arrested in NJ as well
This is from my home town in Canada.
Note who ends up in hand cuffs.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page