Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: 1500
Garage
Taking Care of Business...

I know that I cannot possibly be the only member paying bills and handling financial matters while 'en cavalcade.' With increasing frequency I find myself moving cash, by way of ones and zeros, from here to there. I have been at this for awhile.

Back in 1997 I distinctly remember wandering down to the lobby of a Hampton Inn in Huntington, WV to hand a the desk clerk a rather large bundle of stamped envelopes to post with the morning mail. It made me rather uncomfortable. But that was back in the pre-internet days. Things are different now.

I am a week away from taking off on summer tour (NASSIR 9 included) and I guess my topic is: "How do other folks handle paying bills and banking from the road?"

Here's what I am currently doing:
  1. I like REALLY long passwords. Mine typically are 14 to 16 characters long, include upper and lowercase, numbers and a few special symbols.
  2. I have a laptop with a paid subscription to a good VPN proxy. So everything going in and out of the WIFI is 256 bit encrypted. (I haven't really taken to using my phone yet. Still using the laptop.)
  3. I have a portable encrypted flash drive, and a back up (just in case) which holds a password management program that helps me keep up with the hundreds of usernames, passwords and account details I need. This program runs from the flash drive and doesn't leave traces on the laptop.
  4. So... if I manage to get a connection. I secure it with the VPN. Insert the flash drive, open the software and pound away.

Any suggestions on keeping things safe while I am out and about? Anyone have a better system. Rudy used to be really good at stuff like this. Really miss that old fart...

T

Charter Member Texas Horn Toads
Involuntarily Inducted Wild Rhino 2012
The Texas Horned Toad Scottish Invasion 06.11.17 ~ 06.24.17

"I grew up right next door to an EPA Superfund cleanup site...
They claim I should have drain bammage. Putt I peel pines!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have everything set up to auto debit.
I very rarely need to handle a single payment, but when I do, I turn on PureVPN and just get it done just like if at home.
I use LastPass for that job.
I don't have anything that requires a paper/envelope/stamp.

You seem to be much more worried about security than I am.
I don't see a need for being worried about what is on the laptop. It never gets out of my hands anyway.

Never use the cell phone for finances.

Simply because it is all too easy to make a mistake on those tiny screens.

I have a carrier provided 4g WiFi router that requires a 16 digit password to log in.

I never use local WiFi for anything except casual browsing, such as our forums and Facebook.

And actually, with a 6 gB/month DATA plan I really don't need foreign WiFi anyway.

The only "On the road" finances I need to handle are done in person with a debit card.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks John,

I too like to use my own data plan... I have 8gigs. Oh, one more thing...

A couple of us lowly Horn Toads have had issues with our Debit and Credit Cards that seems to be caused my using them at fuel stops. Cards getting shut down while we are on the roads because of certain unauthorized attempts at questionable transactions... someone trying to purchase gifts cards at Cabella's online site in my case. (It is especially bad down along the border.)

Have been considering getting a pre-paid credit card to cover all the fuel and out of pocket purchases while out on the road. thus insulating my primary accounts from this sort of nonsense.

Commentary?

T
AZgl1800 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
With online bill pay, you get so set the dates the payment(s) go out, so paying the next 2 or 3 months bills is quite easy. I don't like auto pay for a lot of reasons, like our trash service that the city just switched. I payed the company for an extra can. They auto paid themselves 3 weeks ago for the next quarter, then when the city got a new contractor, the old company collected all their cans, including the one I just paid for......

I used my debit while traveling with a Visa CC as a back up, stored in a different location than my wallet,for obvious reasons. If Im traveling somewhere beyond my normal travel, we talk to the people at our local bank and just tell them and they will personally look in on our account a couple of times a day.
us385south likes this.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Garage
Before you start your trip call your credit/debit card company and tell them you are going to be traveling and what states you will be in. Then they know your on the road and you will not have any trouble with you cards.
If you don't want to use internet on the road to pay your bills just make double payments before you leave.
AZgl1800 and us385south like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:02 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
I used to pay cash for all my fuel but just got tired of making trips inside to leave a deposit and then paying the bill. We opened another checking account with a debit card and use it only for fuel purchases. When you swipe the card and get "credit/debit?" I always press credit. Same when asked for "PIN" I press no and then enter the zip code when asked for. Every time the debit card is used X amount of money (as much as $100 per purchase) is locked until it has cleared the bank. If traveling, using the card many times a day may cause you to be locked out due to insufficient funds. With a credit card they lock only the amount of purchase. By having a special debit account I can lose no more than $500, the max I ever allow in that account. Have never had a problem since I started using it as a credit card, before that I was locked out several times. Other than that I'm still old fashion, pay all bills with checks using the post office.
us385south likes this.

Charlie
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Garage
when I start a tour, I do the internal Secure Email thing to the Credit Union and advise them of my route. They have always emailed me back "thank you, we will watch your back".

Had not thought of using the Credit Feature on the gas pumps, I am going to start trying that out and see how it goes. Way too late to do anything about it for this tour, we leave Thursday morning on the 7th.

flylow: have you tried to enter an incorrect zipcode to test the validity of that use?

~ John

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Garage
This thread has been timely, and thank you Travis.

I just realized that I had not forewarned my CU of my upcoming tour, so just sent in a Secure Email to them advising of my routes.

I also asked them if using the debit card as a CC would stop the gas stations from blocking out the $75 per use?
That has never bothered in the past, as I always transfer over $2000 from savings to checking... and have auto draft from checking to savings anyway.

never hurts to build up a safety net though.

Now, I have a PayPal credit card.
Anyone have any success at using that for a Travel Card??

I can't use it at the grocery store here at home.

~ John

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
I never use a debit card. First off is the $100 hold put on your account, sometimes for days. Second is if the card gets cloned the money comes out of the checking account and if you don't know it soon enough you can get bounced checks. Also it can take several days and a trip to the bank to sign off that you did not make those purchases.

With a credit card I have never had any of those problems. I carry 2 different cards so if one is compromised I can use the other one plus the wife carries on. I make sure I can pay it in full every month so I never pay interest plus I get points so every year or so I can get a doodad of some sort.
us385south likes this.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As we say down here in Texas: "Das Goodernshit!"

T

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page