Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Commander 2 tires (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/621785-commander-2-tires.html)

Charlie in nc 07-14-2016 08:54 PM

Commander 2 tires

I bought a new tire from Bike Bandit, I took it to a friend who runs a HD repair shop.I picked it up and went to install and noticed the tread appeared to be backwards. I checked and rechecked and the arrow was in the right direction. Has anyone noticed this on their commander 2s? Thanks, Charlie

Wayfarer 07-14-2016 10:08 PM

Yes. But they are the best tires I have ever had on a bike. Currently on my Nomad and I love them.

JeffMayfield 07-15-2016 12:10 AM

Commander II are serving me well.

These things shed water so well, so far every time I've hit water running over the road during a flash flood they hold.... No hydroplaning...

Smooth ride

Mileage.......not sure yet....

rayjoe 07-15-2016 12:12 AM

commander tires

Try to envision the tread at the bottom where it touches the road. Are the channels positioned to divert water away to the rear of the bike?

Just a thought.

Rayjoe

Charlie in nc 07-15-2016 09:02 AM

Rayjoe, This is what I did not understand, The tread actually diverts the water to the center of the tire. I went back to my friends shop that changed it for me, Lo and behold there was three HDs that had the same tire and the tread was to me backwards. I owner said he had 7000 miles on it and it done great! {maybe 50% tread left] I used to THINK old school was cool, I went back and read their reviews and only one said that the tread Appeared to be backwards.All of the others was 5 stars. I am going to put this badboy on today and will keep us posted, Thanks for all of replies. Thanks Charlie

rayjoe 07-15-2016 10:37 AM

Commander tires

Charlie,

I looked up a picture of the Commander tire online. As the tire rolls forward water is diverted to the outside of the tire, not the center. Have a friend ride the bike slowly thru a puddle and watch the flow of the water.

Looks like a good tire to me. I might try them myself next time.

Rayjoe

Bike...and Dennis 07-15-2016 05:37 PM

If you look at this page, most of the tires shown have the front tire with grooves pointing up and on the rear, grooves pointing down.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...s/t11?m=151649

There are a couple that seem to show no direction and the Shinko 230 which does it backwards. The Pirelli also has the front down facing but the rear sort of goes both ways.

Bottom line is; it probably is no more than a fad. Today's "look". Like black wheels and "Transformer" styled bikes.

Aloha Tom 07-17-2016 10:38 AM

as long as it carries water to the sides where it can be evacuated- thats what tire design is about.
Sometimes ideas from the 1950s are still the best, just improved with CAD technolgy

Charlie in nc 07-17-2016 10:11 PM

Commander2 tires

Folks, This is not the case on this tire, The tread pattern IS a-- backwards, I am open to others who has this tire, I am not a tire tech, But sure am hoping others who has this tire will chime in. Again Thanks for the replys, Charlie

Bike...and Dennis 07-17-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie in nc (Post 4753889)
Folks, This is not the case on this tire, The tread pattern IS a-- backwards, I am open to others who has this tire, I am not a tire tech, But sure am hoping others who has this tire will chime in. Again Thanks for the replys, Charlie

Now, I just want to be clear, here. Your contention is that Michelin developed and released a tire with a defective tread pattern? Or, is yours a one-off defective tire?