Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1984 and 1994
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200I and GL1500A
Drivers backrest and gl1500

Hello folks..

Im looking for opinions about drivers backrests. I have every intent on adding one to my new to me 1500 and have looked at the two mounting options.

I had thought to get one of those that mount to the passengers Oh **** handles. But I've been informed that passengers tnd not to like them because their legs rest on the pipes and it can be uncomfortable.

On the other hand I'm not sure if I'm comfortable cutting up a seat to mount the other type.

What is your guys experiences on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Year: 1995
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE
I would not ride to the store without my backrest, much less go on a trip. When my wife rides with me, I simply take it off to give her room, and then I lean back on her. Works for me.

Forgive others. Not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If your not willing to forgive others, how can you expect God to forgive you.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM

Model: 96 GL1500SE
Garage
I have this one by Show Chrome (although it says Hopnel on the tag) that mounts through the seat.
I researched and found, like you did, that the ones with the bars irritate the passenger's legs.
Believe me, I don't want anything that will irritate my wife any more than usual.

Installing isn't really that bad. I was leary as well about cutting up a new seat that I had just bought.
I must have measured and marked three times before the knife ever came out.
After that first incision, the rest was easy.

I wouldn't have another bike without a backrest now.
I'm thinking hard about getting a custom seat.
With it, however, I'm going to let them do the cutting.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
This is the one that gets the most good reviews. They have an option for "quick out", removable backrest.
http://www.utpr.com/goldwing.html
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984 and 1994
Model: GL1200I and GL1500A
I've had the Utopia pointed out to me a time or two. It's in the short list. Still a bit hesitant to cut the seat cover. But I suppose I could silicone the area to seal it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Did...did I do that?

Year: 1996
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
I think I had the Utopia on my 97. The 96 has a different one; I'll check and let you know tomorrow. It's an easy on/off.

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:16 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have had two of the kind with the side bars on them.
an abomination for passengers.

I went with Utopia 3 times, and never once regretted that hole in the seat.
It is invisible when the backrest is installed, and I don't know of anyone who removed the backrest and got rid of it.

~ John

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 AM

Garage
The Utopia is about the best. You get a piece of leather with a slit in it to put over the hole you have to cut in the seat. watch the video, it's not that big of a thing to do. I had one on both my 1800 and loved them. BUT the ones with the tubes are more adjustable forward and backwards,. \

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 04:05 PM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
I love my utopia backrest, I can adjust it on the fly for long hauls or up more for better posture.

Allen
2000 Goldwing Special Edition, starting with 23k miles

Ham Radio Extra Class-KB3WEY

8 lives left
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
I've had the Utopia pointed out to me a time or two. It's in the short list. Still a bit hesitant to cut the seat cover. But I suppose I could silicone the area to seal it.
UTOPIA hands down .... if keeping the stock seat.

It had a Hartco on it when purchased, it was brutal and got worse ..... I knew the original owner gave me a seat that looked worn so one day in desperation, I pulled it out of storage, found it was just a cover that was worn .... it was put on when the seat was a couple months old .... under that worn cover was a new 1997 GL1500 seat. I was gonna loose my back rest though ..... so I went through what you are now .... and bit the bullet and ordered Utopia and even asked for rear pass arm rest covers to match.

I followed instructions, "made the cut" .... and found that the very heavy duty sticky backed reinforcement that they supplies ..... WORKS. Once it's done, you'll be ecstatic with the results!

Used it 3 plus (Mar 2012-Aug 2015) years before accidently stumbling onto a Corbin for a price I could afford to experiment and modify and recolor .... which I've done ..... but this stock seat with Utoipia was great ..... far and away better than that Hartco.

I did add one extra piece to my Utopia .... under the seat, a cross bar of sorts. It just snuggles up in the recess and seemed to stiffen it up a hair ..... and I drilled / tapped two more holes. It is not something most would do.

I also found that the Utopia was very easy for "Wife Unit" to get on / off over top of, she gets on the rider seat, then puts feet on rear f-boards, stands up, sits on rear .... but it's a Trike. On a bike, many use a hitch pin type pivot that can be pulled and the back rest removed easily if needed. I just used a 1/4" bolt and lightly peined the end just enough the nut stays snug.

I added some pics showing details to maybe help you with location of cut, etc. The inner bar will fasten inside the seat pan .... you'll see how easy when you go to install. You can see the under bracket and how it rests on frame of bike in use.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Utopia2.jpg (97.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Utopia7.jpg (167.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Utopia3.jpg (124.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Uopia5 (800x584).jpg (267.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Uopia8 RtSideUp (640x456).jpg (188.0 KB, 9 views)

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page