6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Year: 2003
Make: gold wing
bike lift

Hi All
Sorry for not getting back sooner holidays and family have taken up my site time. So as to your question about how I dropped my 1500. I was trying to put bike on by myself bad move the front wheel kicked out of the plate on the front of the lift I couldn't hold the bike up. It went down with me on top of it stupid move on my part always use two people to put bike on and off the lift. Getting back to the wheel chock I bought also from Harbor freight it is Item number 61670 Motorcycle stand wheel chock. Its really a stand you can put on the floor and ride your bike into and it will stand on its own. I took the wide bar off the stand and took the cheap wheel chock off the lift drilled some holes bolted it down. Now when I put the bike on the lift with two people the front wheel goes into the stand and locks the wheel in and I can put the straps on and do maintenance on my new 1800. To get the bike off I use the reverse with two people works great. Guess if I had a big bike without reverse I would look another wheel stand and harbor freight has them also hope this helps.
tucker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Model: 2008 GL1800
The table works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-12-03 16.42.53.jpg (149.9 KB, 58 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:58 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker463 View Post
Hi All
Sorry for not getting back sooner holidays and family have taken up my site time. So as to your question about how I dropped my 1500. I was trying to put bike on by myself bad move the front wheel kicked out of the plate on the front of the lift I couldn't hold the bike up. It went down with me on top of it stupid move on my part always use two people to put bike on and off the lift. Getting back to the wheel chock I bought also from Harbor freight it is Item number 61670 Motorcycle stand wheel chock. Its really a stand you can put on the floor and ride your bike into and it will stand on its own. I took the wide bar off the stand and took the cheap wheel chock off the lift drilled some holes bolted it down. Now when I put the bike on the lift with two people the front wheel goes into the stand and locks the wheel in and I can put the straps on and do maintenance on my new 1800. To get the bike off I use the reverse with two people works great. Guess if I had a big bike without reverse I would look another wheel stand and harbor freight has them also hope this helps.
tucker
It really helps to put some removable runners on the sides of that lift so you can get your feet down on something. If I had to have a helper to do anything I wouldn't get much done.
Roadyrider likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Year: 1984
Make: honda
Model: aspencade
[QUOTE=AZgl1800;4955033]Coupons are ONLY good when applied to the regular price.

Tried that 20% coupon last week on a sale item. Won't happen.

flylow and I ran the numbers on that last week and the sale prices are better than the coupon prices.[/QUOTE

HeyAZgl11800 the 0
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:31 PM

Year: 1984
Make: honda
Model: aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Coupons are ONLY good when applied to the regular price.

Tried that 20% coupon last week on a sale item. Won't happen.

flylow and I ran the numbers on that last week and the sale prices are better than the coupon prices.
sorry about earlier post ,But the 20% will work on a sale item as long as you're not using a super coupon. But knowing this you have to read the fine print. As of about 2 months you can't use a20% coupon on any lifts. Go hft won't give you break on any of the good stuff. The only way to beat them is make friends with someone who works there. they can get the discount on the regular sale price that they sometimes run. The employees don't get the 20% off the super coupons either.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Year: 1995
Make: Honda (of course!)
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
I have the http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ift-99887.html

high lift the down low stuff. has worked well so far.....

Rick Sheeley/King Gypsy
East Coast,USA

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.." - Stephen Hawking
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgypsy View Post
I have the http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ift-99887.html

high lift the down low stuff. has worked well so far.....
That sir is absolutely terrifying.
You have over 800 LBS of motorcycle supported by one weld and no safety's to catch the bike if/when that weld fails.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:10 AM

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200AA (Interstate)
Garage
I bought one of the HF lifts a few years back before starting on the poor-boy conversion on my first GL1200.

Though it seemed to work pretty well, it isn't nearly as wide as it looks when you put a bike on it... I was going to ride the 'wing onto the lift and quickly discovered that there wasn't much for room for my feet once the bike was on the lift! Pretty sketchy. Walking the bike on from the side works much better. Once the bike was on the lift and "secured" with the included wheel vice, the stability was less than confidence inspiring... I ran a couple ratchet straps between the bike and the lift table that made it stable enough that I was comfortable working on it.

I wouldn't call the HF lift the end-all be-all of motorcycle lifts, but I am glad I purchased mine. It sure makes life a lot easier being able to sit on a stool vs flopping around on the floor. I haven't actually used the lift in around 2 years (aside from as a makeshift shelf), but it's nice to know it's there if I need it. It'll probably get used again this Spring for the upcoming timing belt job on my current GL1200.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page