LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
Heat vents don't open on their own

Yesterday, while cutting up carpet samples to line the trunk and saddlebags, I made yet another discovery-the heat vents. All this time I thought those doors were for access to screws for the plastics. That means all this time I wasn't getting heat. They do not open with the knob, I have to manually open them when the knob is showing open. They will close with the knob. So something is hanging up there. When I open them with my fingers I can feel some hesitation. I'm thinking that there needs to be some lube sprayed in somewhere. How do I get to the cable or whatever it is to do this? I'm planning on disconnecting the radio and CB today as they don't work. I will have the center console out and the seat. I also plan on adding my new light bar as well so some of the stuff will be removed, can I access what I need to get to? If it's involved, I'll just leave as is because it's getting to the point I won't need them and save it for if I need to go that far with the plastics. Just wondering how to fix this minor inconvenience.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
Wilmo, when you pull the lower plastic with the wired corner just above the valve covers. The heat tubes are in there, it's just a flap in the tube. The lever has a fork on the back that works the flap. It's real simple once you get the plastic off. The heater vents don't work very good if your going faster than 40 mph you won't feel them. Be real careful with the corner piece's the little tab's break off real easy. There's screw covers on the corners that you have to remove so don't pry or force parts off until you get the screws out. Ask how I know and the PO must of been a cave man on my bike. I can take all the plastic lowers off my bike in my sleep now but in the beginning it was a pain to not break something. Good Luck and take your time.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
When you say wired corner do you mean electrical or spring wire?
I've been looking at those lower covers already. The PO already has broken many tabs off. In fact, there were two screws on each corner of that lower cover not even there because they've broken out the holes the screws go through, there's no reason anymore to put screws in there. But I found that if I bend a fender washer just so, I can use that and a new screw that will grab the plastic just enough to cinch it up and be effective. I've added several screws to the bike that have been missing and a lot of rattles have now quieted down. Where I'm mounting the light bar today, there are no screws there either, there will be when I put the light bar on. Obviously, the PO knew just enough to be dangerous and probably cussed Honda for their poor engineering by his standards. Just grab and rip because it might take a little gray matter to stop and figure it out, he was unarmed.
I'll take a look at all that and see what I need to do, but really, the heat vents are not a concern, just like to have things operate as they should. The real project I have next is to figure out why the temp gauge doesn't work. That will be time consuming and I'll learn all about the plastics then so I'll save that for when I have a whole day to contribute IF I don't feel like riding, Yeah Right.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:29 PM

Garage
If you change the Spark Plugs you will see the vents and how it all works. The Vents are part of the side panels of the False Tank plastic. The vents slide inside the tubes when you reassemble the plastic. I am surprised at how much air goes thru or under the plastic on these bikes. If you ride your bike with a side panel off there is a ton of air going under that plastic, I guess to help cool the motor. I think Honda did some pretty good Engineering with the plastic but it is a pain to take off and on. I have to find a door for my trunk because I lost one the other day on a rough road. The little pocket doors on my bike were taped in place when I got it so I removed the tape and glued the doors shut. This GL 1500 was a mess when I bought it and I have had to do a lot of work to get it in shape. My 1985 LTD aged a lot better than this GL 1500 also this bike had 141,200 miles and the LTD had 41,000. The LTD set inside a nice barn with a bunch of other bikes so things didn't get worn out. Now I know what has been done to this bike and what needs to be done plus I'm a pretty good Honda Goldwing wrench now still learning but I know a lot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:26 PM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
There's a misunderstanding in this thread. They are cable operated. Read this and all your confusion will be gone.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Make: 1500
I think folks confused the foot warming vents and the heat/cool air vents on the rear of the fairing by the rider's shins.
Foot warming vents are cable actuated by a knob on the dash, the other ones are a small lever on the vent itself.
Aloha Tom likes this.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:23 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
No wonder I posted wrong info on the vents operations! Doh! on me~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:19 AM

Garage
My Mistake, I thought the ones I had were foot warmers, never seen the other one's. Sorry Wilmo.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
Yeah I'm one of those. I thought the vents in the cowl were the heaters. Live and learn.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page