LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
Different front crash bars

Since for the moment I have 2 1500 goldwings, I noticed that the front crash bars are significantly different. The 94 has the usual loop bars but the 2000 does not have this, in fact it's bars are smaller and end where the loop begins on the older one. Are these after market or did Honda just redesign them? I had to remove the highway pegs from the 2000 as they were mounted directly in front of the head covers and if it ever went down, even slowly, they would have been driven right into those head covers, destroying them. They didn't fit me anyway so no loss there. Just curious though if Honda made 2 types.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:54 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Goldwing GL1800
Yes Honda made two types. I don't know what year they switched. Sometime after '94 though.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:54 PM

Yes they did make a different bar for the newer one.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
They are also interchangeable.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
I believe it was 98 they changed to a more comfortable and easier to get your leg around to the aux cruiser pegs- bar.
Best way to mount pegs on them is the forward vertical bar, with extensions bringing the foot peg about halfway
back along the valve cover (average inseam 30-32)
When mounted on front bar they are out of the way in a nap situation

Those who mount them on the lower bar risk damage A: to the mounting bolt which hits the ground with every hard turn
and B: puncture of valve cover
If something bad happens in a crash, so what, Tow it home.
BUT damage on a simple drop, unacceptable

First time my Wing napped it was in front of a bunch of Harley riders-- who were amazed after complaining of the serious bike weight
that I didnt even inspect the bike!
Not a spec of damage..just hopped on and departed for the ride
Their bikes would have been plus 1 bag of small broken parts~
moparnut38 likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:44 AM

Garage
In 98 Honda made a lot of cosmetic changes.
1998 saw quite a few cosmetic differences, nine in fact. The Aspencade and SE got a new clear plastic headlamp and clear indicators (these were only on the American market models though, Europeans were fobbed off with the old lights and indicators), white faced instruments, new fishtail type exhaust tips that altered the exhaust sound, two-tone saddle with better back support for the pillion passenger, new rocker covers with "1500" gouged into them instead of the previous classy logo strip (which had previously been gold plated on the SE's), a skimpier engine guard (the older one would have hidden the ugly new rocker cover if it had still fitted) and badges that looked more aggressive than before. These cosmetic changes gave the ageing GL1500 a much sleeker look, although such things as the rear lighting setup and flat looking rear-end were beginning to look a bit fussy in the new age of curves and flowing lines.
moparnut38 likes this.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:07 AM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
In 98 Honda made a lot of cosmetic changes.
This is great info Joe. I have been wondering what things are different on my 99 than in previous years.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
I believe it was 98 they changed to a more comfortable and easier to get your leg around to the aux cruiser pegs- bar.
Best way to mount pegs on them is the forward vertical bar, with extensions bringing the foot peg about halfway
back along the valve cover (average inseam 30-32)
When mounted on front bar they are out of the way in a nap situation

Those who mount them on the lower bar risk damage A: to the mounting bolt which hits the ground with every hard turn
and B: puncture of valve cover
If something bad happens in a crash, so what, Tow it home.
BUT damage on a simple drop, unacceptable

First time my Wing napped it was in front of a bunch of Harley riders-- who were amazed after complaining of the serious bike weight
that I didnt even inspect the bike!
Not a spec of damage..just hopped on and departed for the ride
Their bikes would have been plus 1 bag of small broken parts~
When I bought the bike it had hiway pegs on those bottom bars mounted so that a nap would push them through the covers. I removed them. Mounting them on the front of the bars would be too far for me to reach them . They seem to be heavy duty but useless on this bike. I need to mount them on the top bar that doesn't exist.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Get different cruiser pegs! There are some with extension arms to get the result we need in a relatively safe manner

or get early model bars- they use a mount that straddles the 2 bars and you can move it for/aft to set peg to your leg reach
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
For the most part I just don't use them. I don't feel comfortable with my feet away from the brake or shifter. I can ride all day in the normal position. If I need to stretch I simply stand up. Never really felt the need for hiway pegs. Maybe I should offer these for sale...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170527_112655.jpg (126.1 KB, 10 views)

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

101421 miles as of 091418

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page