Gl1200 sei mechanic needed - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
WingNut

Year: 1998
Make: GoldWing GL1500
Model: GL1500SE
Gl1200 sei mechanic needed

Help! I need someone with more tech knowledge than myself...can't get my 1986 SEI to run, died on me yesterday. Located in Frazier Park, CA 93225. Bike is on a trailer and I can bring it to you! Please contact me asap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 11:47 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Have an '85 LTD fuel injected model, just one year older than yours. These bikes are practically the same.

Do you have the manuals and such, if not PM me and I can send digital copies. This will get you started.

You are correct in that finding someone or a shop to work on your bike will be a quest unto itself. The best thing is to get the manuals and start from there. I did this exact same thing 19 months ago when I bought my '85 LTD.

To start I'd recommend getting a multimeter and start to check for voltage.

Take your battery to a battery shop and have it load tested to eliminate it from the equation. Next I would make sure power is flowing through the starter solenoid correctly.

There is a red wire, red/white striped wire, yellow/red striped wire and a green/red striped wire. The attached drawing explains how the wiring of the starter solenoid is connected. On the LTD and SE-i there is a second white wire from the battery terminal going to the main relay and has a 30 amp in line fuse. Check this as well.

The red wire goes out to the ignition switch.

The red/white striped wire is from the rectifier/regulator and charges the battery.

The yellow/red striped wire from the start switch and the green/red striped ground wire is used to energize the internal starter relay coil. When this coil is energized, power flows to the starter. You haven't mentioned this yet, but I'm guessing the bike turns over.

If the bike is turning over, there is power getting to the ignition switch and out to the bike electrical system.

To check the engine stop switch (kill switch) you can test the black/white striped wire connected to the coils. You remove the seat and the false tank/shelter. Locate the coils in the forward end of the bike. Locate the black/white striped wire connected to the right coil (easiest to work with). with the key on there should be power to this wire, if there is the engine stop switch is working properly.

Let me chew on this to give some additional information on the electrics. Too much at one time is not always the best.

Give the above a try and let us know how things are progressing.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter Relay Schematic - 001.jpg (97.2 KB, 14 views)

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 PM

Further to my last, if you are handy with a wrench, these bikes are not that difficult. I was intimidated when I got mine, but worked at it slowly and it all started to make sense.

Cheers

Ernest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
WingNut

Year: 1998
Make: GoldWing GL1500
Model: GL1500SE
I did manage to fix my problem. It was a faulty kill switch and a bad fuel pump relay. I'm back on the road!

What I could definitely use though, is access to the service or operators manual that details the operation of the faux tank-mounted Electronic Travel Computer on the 1986 SEi. I'd like to know what the "books" say about each function, as well as the buttons on the bottom. There should be a way to manually input the onboard fuel quantity, and although I have most of the features figured out based on common sense, I still would like to see the manual.

Do you happen to have this?

Currently Own:
1978 GL1000 Café Racer 26K miles
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Interstate
1986 GL1200-SEi
1989 GL1500
1998 GL1500SE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
You may be able to find an original owner's manual on fleabay.
No original hardbound version but a repro paperback: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Owners-M...ZTJMjs&vxp=mtr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:38 AM

You need the service manual supplement. PM me.

Ernest
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 AM

Year: 1984
Make: Honda GL1200
Model: Interstate
I also have digital copies of the 1984-87 GL1200 Manual, The 1985 LTD Supplement Manual, The 1985 LTD Electrical troubleshooting manual. You could PM me if the other way doesn't work.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page