How to keep rodents out of a bike - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vv0350 View Post
We have had this problem for YEARS....in the bikes, in the cars, in the van...ate a 4" strip of the seat off on the 75 FLH.....Mostly just plain rats and mice....The best solution was when we purchased a electronic rat trap off eBay....7,000 volts....THIS GETS THE RATS....The rats made beds with the mothballs...they licked up the cayenne pepper powder...yumm.....cheap snap Mouse traps are the most effective "mouse" trap...cheese or peanut butter works good..I use dry cat food in the 7,000 volt trap.....Snap Rat Traps work once....and then never again...It's like the rest of them have a learning curve that teaches the ALL the perils of Rat Traps....I have tried poison bait...they eat it all and come back the next night for more...go figure...
So, in summary, get a electronic trap for rats and set cheap little snap traps for mice....
I have had limited luck with the two flap door metal traps....once you catch a mouse in one of them, THEN you can catch more mice because they catch the sent of the first mouse....May take a while to catch the first one...a little cheese in the metal trap helps...
This is after 15 years of trying everything I could find....

did you ever try ground black pepper? That is what we use in trailers down here in baja left for 6-9 months in fields and has worked on mice.

first wing 76 bought new 78, owned 1 gl1000, 2 gl1100, 4 gl1200 (two standards), 2 gl1500, valkyrie 97 , stable now just 2 gl1200 standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
+2 on the Moth balls idea in area's that are open enough, , , however, , ,rodents hate the strong smell of Vicks Vapo-rub too, , a "film" of it over the area of an inlet or other flat surface will keep 'em away.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page