LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Arrow Hit a deer with the car

Cynthia is okay, the Air Bag did not deploy. She is very much shaken up, was still shaking and crying about her "baby" being totalled when the tow truck brought our car to us back at the campground.

It is with sad feelings that I report that my daughter, Cynthia hit a deer this morning in her personal car while driving from the campgrounds to Petersburg, WVA.

She had planned an all day tour of the Antique Shops... she is a saver par excellance if there ever was one.

The car is mechanically good, except that the radiator and a/c condenser are both in a big U-shape and have to be replaced. The cross member that supports the radiator needs to be replaced, I don't think it can be straightened properly. Both headlights are still looking straight ahead.

The insurance company jumped into the fray with both hands. In about 45 minutes of me getting off the Claims line with Rose, she called me back and had set up an appraiser to come see the car, set up a preAuthorization for the local U-Haul dealer for a truck/van big enough to haul the car home, and pull pull our trailer home....

the biggest complication right now, is getting something that can do all of this and have space for the two little critters that came with us.... a Great Pyrenees and a Chow/Husky.... and a cat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:26 PM

glad Cynthia didn't get hurt, tell her there their will be other cars to fall in love with like the next one she is going to get
Peter Goldwing likes this.

iba 58509-mile eater
HAT
MOA
'75CB750K,'79cb750f,'79CB750/9k,
'93gl1500se,
'85CB450SC,'05SunL70
'06ST1300a........william
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
How's the deer?

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Glad your daughter is ok .Last week I travelled twice on the road between Petersburg and Seneca Rocks I think it was rt 33. I always was concerned about deer. My wife saw one one the side of the road but I didnt. As of curiosity John, what time of the day was the accident?

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Sorry to hear of her duress- cant imagine those closing moments in the windshield.

Glad you guys were not on the bike is the main thing!
A small semi-truck or equal size one-piece truck should hold everything, without towing anything
Transported many a race car inside a medium uhaul truck with plenty of room for pets, toolboxes, tires, and a weeks supply of road and track food.

If you have to absorb the extra fuel cost anyway, see if the total cost works out better for the almost-big rig!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
to answer all questions:

How is the deer?
Ready for the stew pot as per the witness in a car following Cyndi.
It was a buck, struck the car dead center missing both headlights/fenders.
The hood buckled up dead center propelling the deer up and over the windshield and "40+ feet high in the air" per witness.

DPS stated "obviously a deer strike"

The incident was about 11 AM, she was going shopping. Clear blue sky, two lane road and narrow berms with the forest maybe 12-15 feet from pavement edge.

Cyndi said that she never had time to make a decision, she was aware of a blur "after it came within view of the windshield" and wham!

Lucky air bags did not activate, she was able to make two minor steering corrections and stayed on the road and traveled about 1/4 mile to find a turn out to stop at, off the road.

How we get home, depends on what the Claims adjuster says.

1) car is repairable? then we get a box van that can tow the trailer home.
but....... where to put the dogs in a truck cab with only one row of seats, and no back space for them to lay down in?

2) car is totalled? my estimate of damages has the parts equal to the KBB dealer resale value at $3000+ this is a real shame as the car drives like a brand new one, has never given us any problems other than routine PM stuff.

Cyndi told me that the car is 12 years old, odometer is 99,983 and she was really excited about taking a picture of it at 100,000.... but, she says she has to be practicable and feels that it is best to just take a check for the value of the car, get a Cargo Van from U-Haul ( preapproved already ) and that can easily pull our trailer home. plus it allows the dogs plenty of room.

it is a dirty shame to have our vacation marred like this, but it is, what it is.

I am very happy that there were no injuries at all, other than mental anguish....
it shook Cyndi up pretty bad.... No phone service on Hwy 28/55 all the way from I-64 to Seneca Rocks, WV and this is 125 miles of No Phone Service.

me and VZW are going to have a real down to earth discussion "real soon now".

Andy, Cyndi and I went to W.DC to look at museums.... and he had AT&T Internet service for more than 90% of the entire trip... to me, that is totally inexcusable that VZW would have absolutely no sharing privileges at all.... I did not even get a 1x signal for most of the time we were traveling away from the major Interstate highways.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
How's the deer?
That what we said last night... that should have been supper along with the burgers and dogs!

Brian
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Year: 2004
Model: GL1800
Glad to hear everyone is ok, You aren't too far away from me (couple of hours or so). As a proud Great Pyr owner myself, I can sympathise with you on the space issue. I think most moving truck rental places say that you can't put a pet in the box as part of the agreement, though I think Budget or Hertz has some box trucks that are 4 door. I don't think Uhaul has any, and it really depends on if they have any in that area. It would be worth a call about it though. If I had the time, I would go over there and tow you home with my Truck, but right now I can't get a "day off" to save my life.

There really is nothing like riding on a wing.

Total Bike Miles: 106,000+ wing miles and counting.
Current rides: 04 GL1800 (my baby), 14 Yamaha Star Bolt
Previous Rides:
1980 Suzuki GS1000, USS Louisiana Gold (SSBN 743)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have been here at Yokum Grocery store since 7:30 AM working on logistics, it is now 9:30

all issues with how the car will be "repaired" are done already by phone.
They took my personal estimate on the cost for repair parts ~ $3000
add in labor to fix it, and it is more than the KBB value of $3500 for the car.

So, then I started looking for transportation, and without boring you with 1-1/2 hours of talking to different rental agencies, I ended up with Enterprise Rentals in Elkins, WV

they have a Jeep Cherokee with a receiver hitch, so it can pull our trailer home.
they are going to allow me to pick it up at 5 PM, and the rent fee starts on Friday morning.
gives me a bit of relief on $$$ there.

so, now, back to the campground and No internet, No cellphone service.
Wah!!!!
it has been a hoot....
we are having Adult conversations, and other than a camera flash, no one has their nose buried in a Internet device.....
BrianInPA likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
John, Sorry to hear about the Deer accident but glad your daughter did not get injured.

Vehicles can be replaced and she will be able to adjust to loving a new one.

I am pretty familiar with that stretch of road between Petersburg and Seneca Rocks.

Have a safe trip back to Oklahoma.

Dave
AZgl1800 likes this.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page