Well, now I REALLY am stupid - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Next time you pass a Cycle Gear check out the innovations in protective footwear, even tennis shoe looking riding high-tops.

Surprisingly light and packed with technology, new boots are not the boots of old.
I own the infamous Big5 side-zips, which offer little more than fabric protection and a steel sole that delays going thru any security scanner,

Also own real riding gear, Icon boots and Alpinestar/Cortech outerwear.
Kevlar -armored butt- jeans, in case I decide to do the ol hang off the back of the bike to drag butt down the quarter mile

...ahhh the days of misspent youth, and sadistic older brothers! HEyyyy... this will be FUN! Just HANG ON!

Ride with protection or dont, BUT no whining about preventable, nay predictable injuries will be heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:48 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Cycle Gear boots are crapola trash.

nothing there that I would wear, no leather at all, just plastic stuff.
none of it in wide widths either, I am 11 EEE the only thing they stock is narrow, and medium.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Year: 2000
Model: SE
Garage
My problem with boots is two-fold. One, The constant pressure and rubbing on my ankles causes them to swell beyond what can fit in a boot. I've tried many times even with zipper sides and my feet cannot tolerate boots. They swell and then I can't rotate or pivot at that ankle for about 2 days. Makes it difficult to walk or anything else. Second, they cause a weird rash on my feet that resembles many tiny blisters all over which eventually break and then I have open sores and can't wear shoes for days until all that heals. Sorry but I can't comply with the safety minded individuals and wear boots. This ankle boot is killing me as it is. My entire right leg from where the top of it is on down is purple from bruising. Not from the accident but from the boot. My foot is swelled but this at least can be adjusted for that. That's why I don't wear anything that goes over my ankles-can't.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

101421 miles as of 091418

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
I may have committed the ultimate sin-I purchased from (cough) Sabercycle (/cough). Hey it was the only place I could find the mirror rings and clips I need to fix the damage from my accident. Cyclemax does not have those rings and ebay just has used ones of different colors that I would have to try and paint to match. Plus the used ones are more expensive than new ones? I realize they are after market and they are chrome instead of white, but I don't have to paint them. Not big on chrome but this is the best deal I can find. Factory ones are way more and they don't come painted. I'll drink 7 beers and say dammit with each swallow as atonement. I don't know how else to wash away my transgression.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Garage
good enough, and you don't have to explain yourself to anyone...

Oklahoma is open helmet law, wear it, or not, our choice.
I choose to, others don't, I just wave at them all because most of them will wave back at me, or even being doing a wave when I notice them.

~ John

post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
Same here, no helmet law for those over 21. I have been wearing mine more than ever this year. My route to work includes some 60 mph roads and freeway in/out arteries so I don't feel safe without it. Besides, my tunes are in there so there is incentive to wear it. It really hasn't been that bad, getting used to it. At 60 the wind noise drives me nuts anyway and dries my contacts out so a face shield and helmet solves all that. Besides, I think the local LEOS cut you some slack when they see a helmet, they even wave. I don't get a wave when not wearing it so.....
AZgl1800 likes this.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
I didnt say to buy the in-house brand at cycle gear, just stop and see whats available,
Pick your own store, I was going for generic name for Bike Shop, everyone ok with that- go to your fave store.

ICON for example offer great protection, light weight, and available from many suppliers.
The super duty 4 is a short boot, was just checking them out online, 110$ for a lot of protection.

I got a pair of lightly used Icon Field Armor boots from CL, Now I have boots with freeway level protection.
Seeing some friends on here get injured ankles, and that whole thing with my brothers near death crash-
who was NOT wearing riding boots and now puts on his new carbon fiber leg and foot!! to leave the house.

I personally will use safety gear, ride alert and buy the extra insurance to protect against those who dont pay for it!

Every rider knows what their comfort level is, and enjoys their rides in a unique way.
Do you prefer your carbon fiber in a helmet design, or designed to fit inside your head, Sir?
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Large Member

Garage
And you thought this thread was dead..... I have been released to ride. It's been 5 weeks and the ankle has almost completely healed. Rode the Witch to work today. First time in those 5 weeks the bike has been moved. Both of us are happy. Still hurts a little attempting to put her on the c stand so it might be on the side for a while. Doc says 3 more weeks and all should be completely filled in, explaining this while showing me the x rays. It was hard to stop at work, just wanted to keep on going. Not a good weekend weatherwise so don't know about much riding but, I've got 500 miles to go to hit the magic 100k mile mark. Gonna try to make that a goal for this year. I only have about 1 month left to ride before it gets too bad and October can be very iffy in that respect.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Garage
good to hear that the ankle is healing up, do be super careful with it, it took ten years for my heal bone to heal up when I fractured it by falling off of a trash dumpster and landed flat footed on pavement....

the fracture looked like an ice cube dropped into hot water, doc said "you would be better off with a break, that heals in weeks, this will take years"

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page