Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Well, now I REALLY am stupid (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/649169-well-now-i-really-am-stupid.html)

wilmo 08-24-2017 01:18 PM

Well, now I REALLY am stupid

Broke my ankle today riding into work. Stupid thing, was distracted by something on side of the road. When I looked back traffic was stopped. Swerved left to avoid the truck in front of me and just clipped the rear corner. Didn't go down but did hit my ankle on something. Pulled over, parked it. Driver was then next to me asking if I was ok. As I got off that's when I felt it. His truck was an old beater and he couldn't tell which damage was mine so he said just forget it. Bike suffered a broken mirror ring on the right and some other minor plastic damage but otherwise is totally driveable. I go to the ortho next Friday. And I get to look for a new mirror ring and clip. Bent the light bar, which I straightened out before I left the scene, lights still work.
This was all my fault for not paying attention but could have been much worse. Speed at impact was low as I was on the brakes, just needed another foot and would have missed entirely. Won't be riding for a while I guess.

Peter Goldwing 08-24-2017 01:25 PM

Riding requires a lot of attention/concentration. At times I wonder if Im too comfortable because I catch myself doing stupid stuff like you did. I hope you heal fast and well.

rayjoe 08-24-2017 02:09 PM

heal up quick!

Most guys will not admit when they make a mistake. Way to man up!!!

Heal quickly! It could have been worse!

Rayjoe

AZgl1800 08-24-2017 02:11 PM

I caught myself doing something very near like that just a couple of days ago.

traffic was shutting down fast, and had I not had my "ultra long" way back there following distance that " I like ", I would have rear ended someone.

I was gawking over to the right to see what the "new construction" was all about.
looked at it way too long evidently, and when I looked back in front of me, the car in front was now about 5 car lengths away and slowing down fast....

I had plenty of time to switch lanes, and lucky the lane to the right was open.

probably had time to come to a full stop, but it would have been hard braking.

NGM 08-24-2017 02:29 PM

Glad you are, for the most part, Okay. Heal quick.

wilmo 08-24-2017 02:37 PM

Oddly enough I'm more concerned about the bike than me. And I won't be riding for a while which really gripes me. I don't like cages anymore....

Power Guy 08-24-2017 03:56 PM

So what did she look like? ( the distraction by the side of the road) LOL.. Glad you are OK. Not to say a broken ankle is not anything to take lightly. Heal up during the fall and ride this winter

Pure Texas 08-24-2017 05:24 PM

Did the same thing BUT the truck didn't have stop lights,just barely tapped him and fell over and he took off.

CrystalPistol 08-24-2017 06:09 PM

Glad you'll live to ride another day :)

wilmo 08-24-2017 06:15 PM

I see the ortho tomorrow. How long does a fibula take to heal