post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
NGM

Year: 2003
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1800 ABS
Garage
Send a message via MSN to NGM Send a message via Yahoo to NGM
Toy Hauler Questions

So we bought a new toy hauler. I have towed my MCs on an open trailer with no issues, but of course I was able to permanent mount the wheel chocks. With the Toyhauler that is more difficult since the "garage" is part of the living space when no toys are in there. What do you do with your toy hauler and pulling bikes?

No matter where you go there you are.... Buckaroo Bonzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM

As long you have tie downs in the toy hauler put a chock between the front tie downs and a little back so you can pull the forks compressed down some and tie down the back of the bike. No need to bolt down the chock, it wont move as long your bike is properly tied down and it wont slide that much when going into and out of the chock. Just make sure you have clearance to close the door on the trailer. Don't fully compress the forks or you could blow the fork seals.

Dave
Ride Safe and Ride Often, Keep the Shiny Side up and Many Happy Miles and Smiles.

In God We Trust; All Others Must pay Cash!!!

Current Goldwing 2016 Gl1800 Matte Silver

Other Rides

2007 Honda 110cc

Past Rides

2 1985 Goldwing Aspencades, 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 2006 Goldwing Navi, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1994 1500cc Goldwing Interstate, 2010 Gl1800 Trike, 1997 GL1500 SE, 2012 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
With a 1,000 bike, IF that chock is not screwed to the floor, you stand a darn good chance of it laying down on you....

unless you make it a point to always have someone handy to keep it stable.

My Toy Hauler has a permanent garage with a bunk bed overhead where the bike is stored.

I loaded the bike in by myself once without the chock secured to the floor.
NEVER AGAIN !!!

My saving grace was that I thought of the potential for a crash landing, so I tied a rope to a tie down loop on the left side.... threw it over the bike, Walked the bike in by slipping the clutch a lot, engine power pushed it up the ramp and into the corner.....

Just as the front wheel locked into the chock, the bike tried to fall over away from me to the right side.... the rope was already looped thru the crash guard on the right rear side looping over the seat. I grabbed that rope and pulled back hard, and the bike stayed where it belonged....

Nope, that chock must be tied down, I don't have any helpers.

Oh, the bike is too long to go straight in, it must be angled....
Something that I wanted to do anyway to load balance the trailer.

Sharp eyed folks will see two wheel chocks, the one near the door is long gone now, it was a cheap piece of tubing that did not lock the wheel.... meant for hardly sportster type trash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (71.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 06.jpg (73.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (87.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 08.jpg (65.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (63.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (66.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (58.0 KB, 13 views)

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:24 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Mount the chock to a piece of 3/4" plywood a couple feet square then it won't have to be bolted down.
AZgl1800 and lionelgo50 like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
You could build a rail to park the bike on. Use maybe a 2X6 for the main rail and 1X4 for 1X6 sides on it, and a stopper at the end for the front tire to sit against. Pull the bike into it, put it on the side stand (with a pice of 2X under the stand) then tie down the left side first then the right. The rail could be put out of the way when not needed.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
With a 1,000 bike, IF that chock is not screwed to the floor, you stand a darn good chance of it laying down on you....

unless you make it a point to always have someone handy to keep it stable.

My Toy Hauler has a permanent garage with a bunk bed overhead where the bike is stored.

I loaded the bike in by myself once without the chock secured to the floor.
NEVER AGAIN !!!

My saving grace was that I thought of the potential for a crash landing, so I tied a rope to a tie down loop on the left side.... threw it over the bike, Walked the bike in by slipping the clutch a lot, engine power pushed it up the ramp and into the corner.....

Just as the front wheel locked into the chock, the bike tried to fall over away from me to the right side.... the rope was already looped thru the crash guard on the right rear side looping over the seat. I grabbed that rope and pulled back hard, and the bike stayed where it belonged....

Nope, that chock must be tied down, I don't have any helpers.

Oh, the bike is too long to go straight in, it must be angled....
Something that I wanted to do anyway to load balance the trailer.

Sharp eyed folks will see two wheel chocks, the one near the door is long gone now, it was a cheap piece of tubing that did not lock the wheel.... meant for hardly sportster type trash.
John, I See you have diamond plate or aluminum floor that would be slippery. My friends floor is vinyl flooring and loads his Yamaha Stratoliner in it without securing the wheel chock and that bike weighs in about 820 lbs. His garage is part of the living space also and the bike sits over the axle. But I really agree with securing the chock, if it were mine I'd find a way of securing the chock so it could be easily removed and not be in the way of the living space when the bike is not in it. So far he hasn't had any problems. Nice pictures of your garage in your toyhauler, I like the diamond plate and separate garage setup better than having the bike sitting in the kitchen like my buddies. I guess that's why different size units and floorplans are made. If I ever decide I need one it will take some good research for me.

Dave
Ride Safe and Ride Often, Keep the Shiny Side up and Many Happy Miles and Smiles.

In God We Trust; All Others Must pay Cash!!!

Current Goldwing 2016 Gl1800 Matte Silver

Other Rides

2007 Honda 110cc

Past Rides

2 1985 Goldwing Aspencades, 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 2006 Goldwing Navi, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1994 1500cc Goldwing Interstate, 2010 Gl1800 Trike, 1997 GL1500 SE, 2012 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:57 PM

Garage
There are very few Toy Haulers built with the bathroom in the front of the trailer. And to have that bathroom be full apartment size is just unheard of, this is what got our attention when this unit showed up For Sale... The shower is full size, has a "tub that is six inches deep".

Makes it easy for us to wash the dog's if they get dirty. The dogs are 70# and 105# so a large tub for us is very desirable. The shower is almost like my full size shower in my home.

The bath has a Tilt Out dirty laundry "chute" that holds a weeks worth of clothes until we can get back to a washing machine. A full size closet on the left side of the trailer... The bath is 5' x 8' including all the features mentioned.

The kitchen abuts the bathroom, two overhead cabinets, sink and tiny cooktop. microwave in another overhead cabinet... We lived in it for a week and were just as comfy as though we were at home... Just tighter spaces of course.

It also has a full HVAC system, ducted heat and air to everywhere except the garage. If air is needed there, open the door and use a floor fan which we store under a bed.

The garage is Diamond plate, I think it is Aluminum but not sure yet. Have not tested that part of it. I am liking the 3/4" plywood idea for securing the wheel chock... The weight of the bike will keep it from tilting over. THAT DIAMOND PLATE IS SLIPPERY. I almost fell down loading the bike. I think I am going to get a roll of some kind of rubbery substance, or a rubber backed carpet to walk on in there.

The fact that the garage is separate from the living area for us, is a Huge Plus... my daughter kept her extra luggage back there, and had a private "dressing room"... It has flush interior lights and 4 A/C outlets for tools to plug into.

I like that the ramp's angle is much flatter than what my motorcycle trailer is... With the trailer, I have to use a bit of speed to get up on the trailer, backing it off is a bitch, so I usually find a ditch to back it off into so the rear of the trailer is ground level.

Getting back to the very 1st post: use flat headed bolts countersunk into the bottom of the 3/4" plywood and secure the wheel chock to the plywood.... I'm thinking that 24" x 24" should be big enough... and that dimension would also work for you NGM....

I just now had the thought that the bottom side of the Plywood should have a sheet of sticky type rubber glued to it... That would keep it from sliding on my Diamond plate, and on your trailer, it would keep it from moving around also on the carpeted floor.

~ John

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 PM

Year: 2004
Model: , 1982 GL1100 Standard, 2004 GL 1800
How about some full size pictures. Is this a travel trailer of sorts?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
How about some full size pictures. Is this a travel trailer of sorts?

26 ft Travel Trailer with a garage in the rear, complete rear panel folds down to make a ramp.

Specifications:
http://giantrv.addr.com/products/war...ries/fbd04.htm

Photo Gallery:
http://giantrv.addr.com/products/war...bd-gallery.htm

the bathroom:

Side view:

My Living Room:

This is an optional model, "not mine", it has a full width swing up cabin door so the bike can be parked into the Living Area.... My trailer has a 24" wide cabin door, which we much prefer.

This shows part of the cook stove, and the Refrigerator door handles. The fridge is full apartment size, with a separate freezer section above. This is NOT my unit, I have two beds, not the swivel chairs.

We feel very fortunate to have found this Toy Hauler, we got it for half of current market value, the owner never used it, he got it as part of a deal when he bought a 1936 Dodge car that he wanted... the car owner said you buy the trailer with the car, or no deal.... so we got the trailer for what he had in it.

sorry for the Full Page spread, but y'all asked for pictures
we are proud as punch of this unit, it looks almost brand new, and is a 2004 model.
lionelgo50 likes this.

~ John

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Garage
This is my "tow truck", a 2001 Chevy Suburban 4x4.... I just wish it had the 8.1L engine instead of the 5.3L that is in it.

But, it has all of the options that were available that year, and it is still a very comfortable car....
Dual sun visors!!! a big one you can swing over the side windows, and still a smaller one to drop down in front of your eyes.

In this picture, the Equalizer bars were not installed yet.... I can now level it up pretty good with the Eq bars installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170804_144200.jpg (123.2 KB, 6 views)

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page