We walked away: 55 mph into a ditch. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Location: I'm highly nomadic and live from the saddle of my bike. I also haul a camper/trailer.
Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE 20th Anniversary Edition
Garage
We walked away: 55 mph into a ditch.

So my 1985 Aspencade is toast. Day 5 on a month-long tour of the Pacific Northwest with my sister - who says she will ride only with me because she trusts my skills - the kickstand came down just before a curve. There was nothing I could do. It was a gentle curve so, because of the camper/trailer, I was in the center of the lane. I wasn't able to jog to the right, kick the stand up and back to the left with any hope of staying in control. Neither of us was dressed appropriately - 30 years of riding with close to 500k miles; over 60k on this bike made me invincible... (Yeah, right.) - lightweight clothing with lightweight wind breakers. We'd just stopped to put on the jackets and were accelerating back up to 60. I'm sure I put the stand up (had to to be able to get back into traffic) but I think it bounced back into the down-position.

If you've never seen your face go through a bike windshield, take it from me that, although it was definitely exciting, it's not an experience that one would wish to repeat. I felt the road as it took my skin off. The scary part was not knowing what was happening to my sister. Neither of us passed out, but we both blacked out at certain points during the slide and sudden stop. When we "came to" I immediately called for her and she called for me. Once I took stock of my body to enough to realize that all parts were still attached and I wasn't losing massive amounts of blood, I looked for her and was able to tell within a minute or so that she wasn't in dire straights. At that point, I calmed way down (thanks to many years of meditation) and saw that the bike was a write off. Looking to my right, I saw that my trailer had somehow become loose about 30 feet back down the road. It looked okay from where I was. It was about then that I started feeling the sensations of having been in a crash.

My sister crawled to the road and held her hand out at the cars driving by: three drove by without slowing down. That's something I don't understand too well: she's a middle-aged, white-haired woman who is obviously no threat. Her face was filthy and streaked with tear tracks. She made no effort to hide her distress, fear, and pain. Finally someone stopped, then someone else. It took 40 minutes for the ambulance to arrive, and another 70 minutes to get us to the hospital as we were close to the Hoh Rain Forest on the Olympic Peninsula.

If you ever have to go to the ER in Aberdeen, don't! As far as I have experienced, that ER is the worst one in the country - although I'll admit that it may've just been the two shifts we happened to encounter. They totally missed the 4 small broken bones in her back, and didn't clean the wounds very well at all. Vicki wound up with n infection in one finger (within 24 hours) that they said might make her lose her finger. I'm happy to report that, when I took her to a hospital in Bellingham, it was taken care of as was her back. It took a week of two antibiotics a day, but her finger healed fine.

So, at this point in the story, I'm homeless (the bike/camper rig was my home) and my future has changed dramatically! But so what? I'm used to abrupt changes in my life and people all over the world are in worse situations than I am. For years I have been saying, "The Universe (my word for God) has no idea how to wraps presents: It always wraps the best gifts in the worst wrapping." This is true here, too. My mother loaned me $3k and I have $700 of my own. Time to upgrade to a 1500!

So, I'm looking for the best deal I can get on a 1500. I'll hitchhike to wherever I need to to pick it up. I have located a good buy (it seems) in Colorado Springs and another in Chicago. If possible, I would really appreciate it if someone from either of those areas would be willing to go check the bike(s) in question and see if they are as they seem. I'm also open to any help locating another bike from any member or guest of this forum. I've told you how much I have to work with (which will leave me without even gas money to fill the tank) so if anyone is willing to go check the bikes or knows of a good deal, please let me know. You can call or text me at three6Oh, eight 15, one7six5. Thanks for listening!

PS, sorry for the sideways pictures: that's not how they show up on either my phone or the computer, before I posted them.

EDIT: Flipped them

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170906_175850.jpg (98.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20170906_174725.jpg (88.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20170906_174721.jpg (126.6 KB, 28 views)

Kai W.Anders (constantly)

"Life is ALWAYS exactly as serious as we choose to believe it is." (Hint: it's not serious.)

Too many bikes to list them all:
1985 Goldwing Aspencade
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
2008 Piaggio 150cc scooter
1985 Yamaha Venture tour (Prettiest bike to date)

Last edited by AZgl1800; 10-02-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: rotate picture for yogi_Kai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:33 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
OUCH!

Glad y'all are nearly OK. Having done a come off at 70 in 1977, I know the moment of thought before all goes black "this is gonna hurt" and then awakening in the left lane face down in a FF helmet wondering why someone is trying to cut the strap .... then later having a flashback of "sky-road-sky-road ... etc" as one tumbles.

Kickstand fell down?

... Ummm .... has it done so before?

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:46 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Glad you are both healing at least. Good news is 1500s are getting cheaper by the day, you should be able to find a good one with money to spare. And they have a side stand switch to prevent that from happening.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Glad to hear you are OK. These stories are reminders to wear our gear. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:16 PM
big PIA

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800
Where are you at at the present time? in case we could locate something closer to you?
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Location: I'm highly nomadic and live from the saddle of my bike. I also haul a camper/trailer.
Year: 1995
Model: GL1500SE 20th Anniversary Edition
Garage
In Bandon, Oregon. In about a week or so, we'll be headed towards Ohio. The path to get there hasn't been mapped out yet, so there's a wide range of possible locations. I found what seems to be a great deal (43k miles on a '94 1500 SE, garaged) but it is being sold by a private seller and since I don't know him or his level of honesty, nor does he know me or mine - makes it tough to buy. Haven't figured out how to arrange it.

Kai W.Anders (constantly)

"Life is ALWAYS exactly as serious as we choose to believe it is." (Hint: it's not serious.)

Too many bikes to list them all:
1985 Goldwing Aspencade
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
2008 Piaggio 150cc scooter
1985 Yamaha Venture tour (Prettiest bike to date)
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:44 PM
big PIA

1989 1989 honda goldwing se 1500 honda goldwing se 1500
$2,025
Brookville, PA
New timing belts, alternator, tires, battery, airshocks,front & rear brakes
Image may contain: motorcycle
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:46 PM
big PIA

not sure why it didn't post the pic
I messaged them waiting on answer
Not sure if this is helpful or not, I joined Goldwing for sale on facebook a couple days ago
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Aspencade
Glad you both are OK.......
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Wow,
Your story tops my own.

I will make the pictures right side up in a bit.

Best to the both of you,
Hope all goes well.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page