LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
It's just something mostly to get people's money. The car dealer where I worked was charging $10 a tire for it, and out of a portable nitrogen machine the purity isn't very good anyway. Just dry air is just as good.
I have never really understood how it would help. My company requires it on our fleet trucks. We also have to run min. 10 ply tires. Our fleet manager says that the in dash pressure indicator, will only work with nitrogen.

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 05:20 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
This quote from that link is dangerous.

Oxygen permeates through the rubber walls of tires 3-4 times faster than Nitrogen. The water vapor contained in air migrates through the tire wall at a rate of up to 250 times faster than Nitrogen resulting in pressure losses that can be up to 1 pound or more per month. Over time these losses add up and can cause handling and steering difficulty and can lead to premature wear and catastrophic tire failure which can result in injury or death. In fact, its reported that the number one reason for tire blowouts is underinflated tires.

So the average moron goes and has his tires filled with nitrogen and assumes he never has to check the pressure again. OK, oxygen and water vapor leak out faster than nitrogen. So if I fill my tires with air and wait the oxygen and water leak out and what I have left is nitrogen, I may have to add more but I get the same result.
haroldaugustine likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Model: 96 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Guy View Post
I have never really understood how it would help. My company requires it on our fleet trucks. We also have to run min. 10 ply tires. Our fleet manager says that the in dash pressure indicator, will only work with nitrogen.
Now THIS guy needs to get his head examined.

The ONE AND ONLY BENEFIT of using nitrogen fill is that the pressure variation will be reduced from cold to hot changes. Pressure is pressure, when it comes to air in tires, and it will not change mileage, tire life, tread life, or ride quality. I am just completely baffled in this internet age, of just how the hell this legend/myth keeps perpetuating itself. well.... I guess the fake news crap has taken a grip like a Vulcan mind meld, lol
Power Guy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaz View Post
Now THIS guy needs to get his head examined.
In high school (late 70's) I was a cook at a short order restaurant. The manager insisted we write out our time sheets in pencil. He told me that the computes at the main office can only read pencil lead. As I was a student of computer science at the time, I knew that was BS. I said to him "If you have a computer that could read hand writing, why are you in the restaurant business!?!?"

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:12 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
Air?

Personally, I prefer air gathered my Tibetan Monks in the Himalayas.

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:43 PM

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Level 1 Candy Red
Garage
Altitude Difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool_IsCool View Post
I use a custom mix: 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Maybe a bit of water vapor too, depends on if it's raining when I hook up the AIR pump!
In Denver I believe it's about 78.29 nitrogen, 20.75 oxygen, .93argon and .04 carbon dioxide
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 01:25 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
As my Wing was hatched in 1984 and I like to keep things as original as possible I only use air bottled in 1984 and if possible bottled in Ohio.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:16 AM

Model: 1982 GL1100 Interstate
I have transferred all of my OEM air from one tire to the next. No chance of organ rejection this way.
suvcw04 likes this.

I couldn't fix my brakes so I made the horn louder
Motor started to knock. Turned up the radio.

Jack
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM

Garage
Most new vehicles come with it in the tires stock. The problem is if you have a low tire your not going to drive or ride around town to find a place that has it and then get charged for adding it to your tires. Both my Nisan Titan and Sentra came with it but I use my compressor to top them off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:54 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Most new vehicles come with it in the tires stock. The problem is if you have a low tire your not going to drive or ride around town to find a place that has it and then get charged for adding it to your tires. Both my Nisan Titan and Sentra came with it but I use my compressor to top them off.
When I worked at Honda we put nitrogen in all the new cars, just to have something else to add to the sticker but after that it was seldom anyone requested it with a service, they just got air. The guy that did most of the PDIs didn't know how to use the machine properly anyway so they probably only got 90% or less nitrogen.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page