News on '18 wing ?? - Page 10 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Maryland View Post
I love the Yamaha Transcontinental on paper. However, after watching some videos, it appears to me that the GL1800 or GL1833 will run circles around it on curvy mountain roads. Seems to me the Yamaha is more of a "blunt" instrument than the Wing. I'm quite confident the Wing (old or new) will run circles around the Yammy on back-roads... and have always told other riders "I can thread a needle with a Goldwing". Could you say the same about the Venture? (I suspect the answer is self-evident)... but will leave that up to you to decide.
It has a really low centre of gravity. I think it will do well, for the spirited switch-back type riding....the Serpent...lol.

My focus with this purchase, is in total luxury, as we crank on the Km's across the continent. Creature comfort, infortaiment, max-luggage potential, is higher for my wife and I as priorities, than laying a dedicated-to-purpose, Tour bike at 35 degrees, into an 'S'- turn at speed....for us anyway. ))

For that, I have a dedicated Sport Tour 750cc that just rips that kind of riding format. My wife of course, couldn't care less, and has never been behind me on it. Just the Wing.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:32 AM

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 ABS/NAVI
2018 gl1800

If Honda or the aftermarket offers optional "expanded capacity" saddlebag lids and/or trunk that will get the total luggage capacity up to at least 130 liters, Honda's 2018 Wing becomes a home-run with legacy Goldwing Owners. Sadly, there is no way my wife and I could travel for a month with only 110 liters, and we refuse to pull a trailer. In fact, I would argue that 110 liters of storage qualifies as a "design defect" for a 2-up cross-country tourer. Hopefully, some smart people will devise a creative solution. (Tank bag anyone?) For now, I will have to keep my 2012. Shame... because in every other way, I LOVE the 2018 WING. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
WingVetteGsxr likes this.
post #93 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Maryland View Post
If Honda or the aftermarket offers optional "expanded capacity" saddlebag lids and/or trunk that will get the total luggage capacity up to at least 130 liters, Honda's 2018 Wing becomes a home-run with legacy Goldwing Owners. Sadly, there is no way my wife and I could travel for a month with only 110 liters, and we refuse to pull a trailer. In fact, I would argue that 110 liters of storage qualifies as a "design defect" for a 2-up cross-country tourer. Hopefully, some smart people will devise a creative solution. (Tank bag anyone?) For now, I will have to keep my 2012. Shame... because in every other way, I LOVE the 2018 WING. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
About not wanting to pull a trailer...funny that you mention that...

After attending a GWRRA rally in Springfield, Missouri,...and after walking past quite a few bikes with their trailers still attached in the parking lot, we talked about perhaps we should also explore that option. We like touring/camping, etc.

So, I ended up buying a $350.00 hitch for the GL1500, and a fellow down the street was getting out of biking due to Diabetes health issues concerning his legs (very sad...) and picked up his trailer.

Well...in the time I was going to actually install the hitch, there were three GWRRA members (and their co-riders) that had terrible accidents with their bike-trailer combo's. One in fact (blown tire, fish tail...bike going out of control with the accident fatal to both riders) was with the husband and wife travelling to that very GWRRA WingDing.

After reading of those poor souls...I decided not to proceed. So...I have a never used hitch still in its box, and will probably speak to my dealer, and see if he wants to pick it up from me. As for the trailer...I just took off the car-top carrier, and use it for multi-purposes. We decided not to ever pull anything behind our tour bike as well. That is one of the reasons that for us, we always want MORE luggage storage option, never mind losing 1/3 of what we had on the 2008 GL1800! Like everyone else here, we are all experts by now, in how to fit that last toothbrush in the whatever location...lol...so luggage capacity on our dedicated tour ride...is paramount.

The new Wing is certainly a looker...and will no doubt be a great ride for those who feel it meets their tour requirements. No doubt about it!

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800A
Garage
HEY, Goldwing Dude2: What a bunch of crap! Why, if you liked your 2008 Goldwing, would you sell it? What does it matter that Honda made a bike you may or may not like. With 40,000 miles on your bike was it not running well anymore? Something tells me it had nothing to do with the fact that Honda made a new bike. In fact, how could you have shopped, purchased and traded in your Goldwing before it was even released? That, again, leads me to say you are trying to create some "weight" for your argument by saying you traded in your 'Wing due to the new model being an S/T. Man, besides adding a bigger trunk, which will be offered if capacity is not large enough for you, I don't see much of an argument at all. Comfort is said to be equal to previous model, as is fairing protection. The top gear is a higher overdrive, which was requested. I've NEVER heard anyone complain about changing an air filter. Though I am not a K & N fan, drop one of their 100,000 mile filters in and be happy. Since you only went 38,000 miles in ten years, that filter will last til you are 146 years old.
At first I was kind of disappointed, but after seeing more information, I am really intrigued. Any shortcomings will be covered by the aftermarket and/or Honda. Anything people find to be lacking will be covered by the Aftermarket. I'd say most complaints were addressed.
Trailboss likes this.

I was so happy to be on my 'Wing that I patted her tank and was laughing in my helmet!
post #95 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Model: 96 SE
I am also disappointed with the diminished capacity. The aftermarket nor Honda will not compensate for this shortcoming without costing a fortune. Honda should have at the very least kept the same capacity. Doing that, would really not add much expense to the cost in the first place. Having someone come up with larger replacement pieces WILL absolutely be expensive. Paint matching on top of that. Pulling a trailer does not bother me in the least. Done it quite a bit.

Otherwise, I don't have any complaints about the new one.

As it is now, I am not able to have the time AND money to travel a lot on it. So I will be able to pick up a used one when the time comes.... and just make more use of a trailer.
post #96 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Year: 2003
Make: Goldwing ABS
Storage

I agree. I can get past the dissapointment of a lack of real power increase, but the saddlebag issue will keep me on the sidelines until it's fixed. I don't see paint matching to be an issue for me personally anyway. If I was an aftermarket builder, I would just offer new saddlebag lids in a totally different color, like black or dark grey to off-set the existing color. That would work for me anyway. You could always keep the original lids for resale. The trunk isn't huge but at 50 liters IMHO is certainly adequate.

As soon as someone comes up with a fix, I'll be standing there with a deposit. I almost ride two-up all the time on long trips, so the existing storage is a show-stopper. Even up 15 liters per saddlebag would be acceptable enough.

It's an incredible bike in every other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaz View Post
I am also disappointed with the diminished capacity. The aftermarket nor Honda will not compensate for this shortcoming without costing a fortune. Honda should have at the very least kept the same capacity. Doing that, would really not add much expense to the cost in the first place. Having someone come up with larger replacement pieces WILL absolutely be expensive. Paint matching on top of that. Pulling a trailer does not bother me in the least. Done it quite a bit.

Otherwise, I don't have any complaints about the new one.

As it is now, I am not able to have the time AND money to travel a lot on it. So I will be able to pick up a used one when the time comes.... and just make more use of a trailer.

2003 Wing
2006 GSX-R600
2015 Corvette Stingray Z51
post #97 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing Dude2 View Post
About not wanting to pull a trailer...funny that you mention that...

After attending a GWRRA rally in Springfield, Missouri,...and after walking past quite a few bikes with their trailers still attached in the parking lot, we talked about perhaps we should also explore that option. We like touring/camping, etc.

So, I ended up buying a $350.00 hitch for the GL1500, and a fellow down the street was getting out of biking due to Diabetes health issues concerning his legs (very sad...) and picked up his trailer.

Well...in the time I was going to actually install the hitch, there were three GWRRA members (and their co-riders) that had terrible accidents with their bike-trailer combo's. One in fact (blown tire, fish tail...bike going out of control with the accident fatal to both riders) was with the husband and wife travelling to that very GWRRA WingDing.

After reading of those poor souls...I decided not to proceed. So...I have a never used hitch still in its box, and will probably speak to my dealer, and see if he wants to pick it up from me. As for the trailer...I just took off the car-top carrier, and use it for multi-purposes. We decided not to ever pull anything behind our tour bike as well. That is one of the reasons that for us, we always want MORE luggage storage option, never mind losing 1/3 of what we had on the 2008 GL1800! Like everyone else here, we are all experts by now, in how to fit that last toothbrush in the whatever location...lol...so luggage capacity on our dedicated tour ride...is paramount.

The new Wing is certainly a looker...and will no doubt be a great ride for those who feel it meets their tour requirements. No doubt about it!

Cheers,
We pull and Aspen Classic behind our 2010 GL 1800. I stupidly forgot to latch the hitch simply because a guy wanting to look at our rig interrupted me going thru my saying out loud my hitching procedure and we traveled across the state of IL and finally hit a bump that made the hitch jump off. Trailer went down on the safety chains. I pulled in the clutch, let the trailer drag me to a stop. Bike did not wobble in the least and the trailer just moved side to side at the back about 6". Hooked it back up and went on our way.

Always wondered what would happen if that happened and now I know. We have electric brakes on the camper and have pulled it over 30 k and have slept in it for over 5 months since we bought it in early 15. The only thing that is keeping us from pulling out for a trip in the south east is money.

We highly recommend the Aspen Classic camper. King size bed, A/C, electric heat and more storage than you would need for 3 months. Just stop at a KOA every week and do laundry. Actually we found the KOA camp grounds to be just about the price of state parks.

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
post #98 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Does anyone know what the capacity of the other 'Wing models is?

I looked in my owner's manual and the service manual and it isn't listed in either.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #99 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Does anyone know what the capacity of the other 'Wing models is?

I looked in my owner's manual and the service manual and it isn't listed in either.
I can not find any info on the GL1100, GL1200 or the GL1500.

I found this about the GL1800:
The Gold Wing trunk provides 61 litres of storage capacity with an additional 5 litres of storage available if the optional CD-changer is not installed. Two full-face helmets fit easily in the trunk. The saddlebags provide 40-plus litres of storage each, resulting in a total of 147 litres of storage space.
From this resource: http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/spec_gl1800.htm

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
post #100 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Somebody has a 2018

someone in Italy has a White 2018 Tour bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018 Tour White.jpg (120.7 KB, 14 views)

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page